Author Topic: dbExpert  (Read 9294 times)

rcrmonte3

dbExpert
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:21:05 pm »
The worst part about not being able to buy the source(s) for dbExpert is that it can't be developed any further. Unfortunately, I had to switch to windows 10 because OS/2-eCs is only 16(?) bit and most of the software coming out today is 64-bit.
Being a database dummy, even OpenOffice is too complicated for my uncomplicated mind. However, dbExpert is easy enough to use that I have set up a couple applications that work very nicely and I can modify them any time I need to. I wanted to move a database application from my OS/2 laptop to my windows PC so I would have everything on the same computer. To do that, I have to completely re-create the application in OpenOffice, which is waaayyy over my head. I guess I'll just keep my dbExpert on the OS/2 laptop and not try to re-create it in something I have very little prospect of ever understanding. I would prefer to use OS/2 on my PC, but.....
Is dbExpert made up of several different sources or is Intersolve the only source that dbExpert is licensed from? If Intersolve is the only licensoe becides Sundial, the hardest part may just be getting it away from Carla because of the emotion involved.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
Re: dbExpert
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 03:03:23 am »
There is a third party involved that will not release their sources, and they even wanted to withdraw DBExpert form the market years ago. I've been looking for alternatives to DBE but I have not found anything that's nearly as easy to learn. (AFAIK only the odbc drivers were licensed from Intersolv.)

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 12:08:09 pm »
I am also of the opinion that the dbexpert is a simple and powerful application. I have more than 2MB of commercial application and is the main reason why still use OS2. A part of or through the REXX.
It would be great to know that the Dbexpert would have continuity, although I have not been able to find new bugs, after version 2.0.9. :)
Saludos

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:45:08 pm »
Hey there
I attached a small file, dbet001.htm, with some tricks and ideas collected from various forums, with some own.
This in English, Spanish, German, and other languages.
I hope you serve.
Saludos