Author Topic: Experimental SeaMonkey build  (Read 8798 times)

Dave Yeo

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3628
  • Karma: +77/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental SeaMonkey build
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 01:53:02 am »
Seems to work fine here though I only have a couple of channels open. Are you getting a trp file? Is it crashing in an xmms register? And of course, what CPU, there's cpuinfo.zip on Hobbes to get all the CPU flags, handy for comparing which extensions are supported and at least one Phenom user had a sigill as Phenom supports SSE4a but not SSSE3 while my CPU is the opposite.

Andy Willis

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 235
  • Karma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental SeaMonkey build
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 08:17:51 pm »
Seems to work fine here though I only have a couple of channels open. Are you getting a trp file? Is it crashing in an xmms register? And of course, what CPU, there's cpuinfo.zip on Hobbes to get all the CPU flags, handy for comparing which extensions are supported and at least one Phenom user had a sigill as Phenom supports SSE4a but not SSSE3 while my CPU is the opposite.
I don't know how to read the trp file but it does create one... it crashes in xul.dll on an invalid address is all I can tell for sure.  Here is the cpu information from cpuid and cpuinfo and a few lines from the trp files that seemed to stand out to me as maybe helpful.  I can send the whole thing if useful.

[e:\download]cpuid
CPU Vendor String: "GenuineIntel"

CPU supports MMX instructions
CPU supports SSE instructions
CPU supports SSE2 instructions
CPU supports SSE3 instructions
CPU supports SSSE3 instructions
CPU supports SSSE4.1 instructions
[e:\download\cpu\cpuinfo]cpuinfo.exe
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 23
stepping        : 6
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni dtes64 monitor ds_
cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 lm lahf_lm
cpu MHz         : 2500.105
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9400  @ 2.53GHz

 Filename: E:\BROWSERS\WARPZILLA\XUL.DLL 12/25/2015 14:34:00 35,707,368
 Address:  005B:14F31D63 (0001:009B1D63)
 Cause:    Attempted to read from 0000001C
           (not a valid address)

______________________________________________________________________

 Failing Instruction
______________________________________________________________________

 14F31D54  SUB  ESP, 0x4c              (83ec 4c)
 14F31D57  MOV  EBX, [ESP+0x68]        (8b5c24 68)
 14F31D5B  MOV  EDI, [ESP+0x60]        (8b7c24 60)
 14F31D5F  MOV  ESI, [ESP+0x6c]        (8b7424 6c)
 14F31D63 >TEST BYTE [EBX+0x1c], 0x40  (f643 1c 40)
 14F31D67  JNZ  0x14f31d79             (75 10)
 14F31D69  MOV  DWORD [ESP+0x4], 0x0   (c74424 04 00000000)
 14F31D71  MOV  [ESP], EBX             (891c24)

 Call Stack
______________________________________________________________________

   EBP     Address    Module     Obj:Offset    Nearest Public Symbol
 --------  ---------  --------  -------------  -----------------------
 Trap  ->  14F31D63   XUL       0001:009B1D63  between gfxFontGroup::TryAllFamilyMembers + 13 and gfxFontGroup::WhichSystemFontSupportsChar - 19D  (both in gfxFont.cpp)

 Lost Stack chain - invalid EBP FFFF7F00

Dave Yeo

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3628
  • Karma: +77/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Experimental SeaMonkey build
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 12:47:48 am »

 Filename: E:\BROWSERS\WARPZILLA\XUL.DLL 12/25/2015 14:34:00 35,707,368
 Address:  005B:14F31D63 (0001:009B1D63)
 Cause:    Attempted to read from 0000001C
           (not a valid address)

______________________________________________________________________

 Failing Instruction
______________________________________________________________________

 14F31D54  SUB  ESP, 0x4c              (83ec 4c)
 14F31D57  MOV  EBX, [ESP+0x68]        (8b5c24 68)
 14F31D5B  MOV  EDI, [ESP+0x60]        (8b7c24 60)
 14F31D5F  MOV  ESI, [ESP+0x6c]        (8b7424 6c)
 14F31D63 >TEST BYTE [EBX+0x1c], 0x40  (f643 1c 40)
 14F31D67  JNZ  0x14f31d79             (75 10)
 14F31D69  MOV  DWORD [ESP+0x4], 0x0   (c74424 04 00000000)
 14F31D71  MOV  [ESP], EBX             (891c24)

 Call Stack
______________________________________________________________________

   EBP     Address    Module     Obj:Offset    Nearest Public Symbol
 --------  ---------  --------  -------------  -----------------------
 Trap  ->  14F31D63   XUL       0001:009B1D63  between gfxFontGroup::TryAllFamilyMembers + 13 and gfxFontGroup::WhichSystemFontSupportsChar - 19D  (both in gfxFont.cpp)

 Lost Stack chain - invalid EBP FFFF7F00

Seems to be getting a bad font. The new Fontconfig will try more fallbacks when it can't find a match so that may be the problem.
Someone else had a similar crash which was for the same reason or a SMP problem. The Cairo font code has lots of warnings about being careful in a multi-threaded app and the different optimization probably changes some timings. One thing is to make sure using the latest Freetype as upstream did a bunch of thread safety fixes and you could always do a quick test with only one core enabled.
Hopefully these problems will go away when we switch to the Pango font route.
BTW, I ran Chatzilla for a few hours last night with no problems.