Author Topic: Which buy a new laptop? for 2016  (Read 47183 times)

roberto

• View Profile
Re: Which buy a new laptop? for 2016
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 05:30:09 pm »
Another problem, I think that this is with ACPI
When i push the button for less volumem in a editor show cccc the 'c'  letter and
with the button for more volumem in a editor, cmd, etc show bbbb the 'b' letter one letter by one click.

saludos

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 06:23:18 pm »
I very much doubt that it has anything to do with ACPI. 

It most probably has everything to do with keyboard scan code mappings.  In which case you need to use win95key to map the scan codes of those buttons to a script that raises or lowers the volume. 

Unfortunately, the service manual for the 8540w does not list the codes for those buttons which I assume are accessed by the HP tools software.  My Logitech keyboard has similar buttons all of which do what is labelled via the use of win95key. 

(win95key_v309.zip from hobbes)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:25:36 pm by ivan »

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2016, 09:15:09 pm »
PRO0025: An error occurred when the program tried to bind TCPIP_NIF to W8086X4239_nif.
TCPBEUI: Logical adapter 1 is trying to bind to TCP/IP interface lan0.
LT00141: Errors occurred while attempting to initialize TCPBEUI.

I think you need to simplify the setup, to make it easier to determine what may be going wrong. Also, post Protocol.INI so we can see what was created.

Use (Network) Adapters and Protocols to remove all adapters, except the WiFi that you want to work with. Use only the TCP/IP protocol, and see what LANTRAN.LOG says, after a boot.

Also make sure that if you are using NAPS, that you have the updated one. The one that is in eCS 2.2 b2 has some problems. Unfortunately, I don't know where you can get that now (it was attached to a bug in the eComStation bug tracker), so you may need to use the old Adapters and Protocols program.

I have installed windows 7 32 bits, in the same pc, and I got some information from which the attached file. Here you can see how w7, plays this card as N 6300

Interesting. It seems that the 6300 and the 6200 are identical (or I am misinterpreting the windows output, which I always find to be confusing). If one works, the other should too. For now, stay with only one device, and only the TCP/IP protocol, to keep it simple.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2016, 01:25:49 pm »
Use (Network) Adapters and Protocols to remove all adapters, except the WiFi that you want to work with. Use only the TCP/IP protocol, and see what LANTRAN.LOG says, after a boot.

I can not with ecs22b2 define TCP-IP only because it gives me an error at startup with netwsta.200, I think it's an error in the IBMLAN.INI. Try reinstalling all the full support from the ecs21 networks, but do not let me install it asks me to insert the CD ecs22 and this does not solve the problem.

Also make sure that if you are using NAPS, that you have the updated one.

The problem is the same with mpts

Interesting. It seems that the 6300 and the 6200 are identical
yes

If one works, the other should too.
I hope so

For now, stay with only one device, and only the TCP/IP protocol, to keep it simple.
Yes, you are rigth.

I'm thinking to install the ecs21 update in other laptop and restore in this, and try again.

What I can say is that if I increase the memory in me CONFIG.SYS and was perfect with ecs22b2:
set VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=3072

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 07:31:31 pm »
I can not with ecs22b2 define TCP-IP only because it gives me an error at startup with netwsta.200, I think it's an error in the IBMLAN.INI. Try reinstalling all the full support from the ecs21 networks, but do not let me install it asks me to insert the CD ecs22 and this does not solve the problem.

It has been a long time since I even tried to use NETBIOS, or NETBIOS over TCPIP. SAMBA does the job. I seem to recall that you may need to REM some of the statements in CONFIG.SYS. You cannot use the eCS 2.1 CD to work with an eCS 2.2 b2 system (for many things). It does insist that you use the proper version.

The problem is the same with mpts

You did reboot, right?

I'm thinking to install the ecs21 update in other laptop and restore in this, and try again.

ECS 2.1 probably won't make any difference.

What I can say is that if I increase the memory in me CONFIG.SYS and was perfect with ecs22b2:

I have found that 1536 is best. I have problems if I make it less, and I have a different set of problems if I make it more. At 1536 I still see both sets of problems, but not as often.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 09:35:17 pm »
I very much doubt that it has anything to do with ACPI. 
Yes is keyboard problem, but are very sensitive only to run his fingers over it and begins to write, or move the volume that does not sound,  :) :) :)
I have not been able to get away, I'll look later.
saludos

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 10:14:22 pm »

I seem to recall that you may need to REM some of the statements in CONFIG.SYS. You cannot use the eCS 2.1 CD to work with an eCS 2.2 b2 system (for many things). It does insist that you use the proper version.
Yes, i have to begin  to rem many lines.

You did reboot, right?
In all cases rebot , but i made many combinations, of adapters and protocols, in same cases the condig.sys give me diferent errors in the net.

I have found that 1536 is best. I have problems if I make it less, and I have a different set of problems if I make it more. At 1536 I still see both sets of problems, but not as often.
[/quote]
Yes, but not in all cases is the same. This works better with more memory.

After several reboots I've only found these lines that may be of interest:
IBM OS/2 TCPBEUI 6.00.0
LT00018: The unrecognized keyword NBAPI was found in PROTOCOL.INI.

Whit this protocol.ini with NBAPI:
IBM OS/2 LAN Netbind
PRO0025: An error occurred when the program tried to bind TCPIP_NIF to W8086x4239_nif.

The protocol.ini not generate the same description in all cases, in fact I can not have it both adapters at the same time in the MPTS, that does not work either. Only one at a time.

protocol.ini
[PROT_MAN]

DRIVERNAME = PROTMAN$

[IBMLXCFG]

TCPIP_NIF = tcpip.nif
  tcpbeui_nif = tcpbeui.nif
  W8086x4239_nif = W8086x4239.nif

[NETBIOS]

DriverName = NETBIOS$
  ADAPTER0 = TCPBEUI$,0

[TCPIP_NIF]

DriverName = TCPIP$
  Bindings = W8086x4239_nif

[tcpbeui_nif]

DriverName = TCPBEUI$
  Bindings = W8086X4239_NIF
  NBAPI = "YES"
  NODETYPE = "B-Node"
  OS2TRACEMASK = 0x0
  SESSIONS = 130
  NCBS = 225
  NAMES = 21
  SELECTORS = 15
  USEMAXDATAGRAM = "NO"
  NETBIOSTIMEOUT = 500
  NETBIOSRETRIES = 2
  NAMECACHE = 1000
  PURGECACHE = 0
  PRELOADCACHE = "NO"
  NAMESFILE = 0
  DATAGRAMPACKETS = 20
  PACKETS = 50
  ENABLEDNS = 0
  INTERFACERATE = 2

[W8086x4239_nif]

DriverName = WRND32$
  VENDOR = 0x8086
  DEVICE = 0x4239
  NDIS_SYS = "netw5x32.sys"
  NDIS_INF = "netw5x32.reg"
  SSID = "WLAN"
  DEBUGLEVEL = "NONE"
  OPTIONS = "NONE"

Saludos

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 01:32:06 am »
Yes, but not in all cases is the same. This works better with more memory.

I doubt if that  is actually true. You will probably find that some programs will run out of memory because of it.

I am not sure what that is, but you still have NETBIOS over TCPIP (TCPBEUI) in your configuration. It is confusing things. You should try only the WiFi adapter, with TCP/IP to keep things simple. Your Protocol.ini should look like:
Code: [Select]
protocol.ini
[PROT_MAN]

DRIVERNAME = PROTMAN$

[IBMLXCFG]

TCPIP_NIF = tcpip.nif
  W8086x4239_nif = W8086x4239.nif

[TCPIP_NIF]

DriverName = TCPIP$
  Bindings = W8086x4239_nif

[W8086x4239_nif]

DriverName = WRND32$
  VENDOR = 0x8086
  DEVICE = 0x4239
  NDIS_SYS = "netw5x32.sys"
  NDIS_INF = "netw5x32.reg"
  SSID = "WLAN"
  DEBUGLEVEL = "NONE"
  OPTIONS = "NONE"

When you get it working that way, then you can add NETBIOS over TCPIP, and it should work.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 10:07:45 am »
I doubt if that  is actually true. You will probably find that some programs will run out of memory because of it.
You know tell me some program to test?
 I basically just used for this test, the firefox, with more than 20 open windows, and two running youtube videos without any problem.
 I hope you're wrong.
But you tend to be right, particularly with updating the ecs21 and restore this pc.

I update the E100E multimac from Arcanoae after this error.

I am not sure what that is, but you still have NETBIOS over TCPIP (TCPBEUI) in your configuration. It is confusing things. You should try only the WiFi adapter, with TCP/IP to keep things simple. Your Protocol.ini should look like:
Yes, but if I get the protocol.ini that you send me only with tcpip, I config.sys errors at startup. I tested all possible starts with one or two adapters and one or two protocols. And even with an adapter before another. And changing the IBMLAN.INI positions 34 and 35 from 0 to 1.Without improving anything . And leaving as before.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 07:01:04 pm »
You know tell me some program to test?
 I basically just used for this test, the firefox, with more than 20 open windows, and two running youtube videos without any problem.
 I hope you're wrong.

It would be nice if I was, but I don't know what causes the problems. I just get popups complaining that I ran out of memory a lot more often when I don't use 1536. 3072 is one extreme of that setting, so something is going to be short of memory.

I update the E100E multimac from Arcanoae after this error.

I hope you mean E1000E. You should also try the E1000B driver. I find that it works better, and it will be the one that will be developed in the future.

Yes, but if I get the protocol.ini that you send me only with tcpip, I config.sys errors at startup.

NETBIOS is not supported with that PROTOCOL.INI. You will have errors at boot, if you don't REM the lines for it. However, all you need to do is hit enter to get by them. The objective now is to get the driver for the WiFi to load, with a minimum configuration, to see if it actually loads, or not. If you see green and white information, it probably loads okay. If it doesn't, more information is probably needed to make sure I picked the proper driver (I only guessed). If that part looks okay, you need to try XWLAN to see if it will start the radio (I expect that that part isn't going to work). If that does work, then you can add any other drivers, and put the NETBIOS over TCPIP back in. If it doesn't work, I don't know of any way to get around that, other than to wait for the WiFi driver that Arca Noae is working on.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 08:29:53 pm »

I hope you mean E1000E. You should also try the E1000B driver. I find that it works better, and it will be the one that will be developed in the future.
Thanks

NETBIOS is not supported with that PROTOCOL.INI. You will have errors at boot, if you don't REM the lines for it. However, all you need to do is hit enter to get by them. The objective now is to get the driver for the WiFi to load, with a minimum configuration, to see if it actually loads, or not. If you see green and white information, it probably loads okay. If it doesn't, more information is probably needed to make sure I picked the proper driver (I only guessed). If that part looks okay, you need to try XWLAN to see if it will start the radio (I expect that that part isn't going to work). If that does work, then you can add any other drivers, and put the NETBIOS over TCPIP back in. If it doesn't work, I don't know of any way to get around that, other than to wait for the WiFi driver that Arca Noae is working on.

Many thanks again, I need more time. We return later days or weeks, about wifi card.

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2016, 08:52:32 pm »

It would be nice if I was, but I don't know what causes the problems.

IS NICE!!!!!!!
This deserves a comment aside.
Arcanoae and all the developers have done a great job, my most sincere congratulations.
I'm not willing or able to hang.
Today I've put the hard drive from my old asus, with 1TB and many folders, you had to ecs22b2, and the usb not run, boot, but operative. Still I decided to reinstall a clean backup. With the ram to 1536, and have many more folders on the disc you could tell a lot sometimes slowed the opening of folders. But do not hang up. Only it slows down, becoming slower than the Asus.
When I increase the RAM to 3072, the slowness is fixed.

Applications that have tried all work, Dbexpert, openoffice, fc, med, Firefox, Thunderbird, and more ALL run.
I have observed only fault screen in Truespectra, keen4c, pacman, which should be improved, but this is the way.

Saludos

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2016, 09:28:40 pm »

Well, after having this discussion, I tried VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT=3072. Previously, I had tried 1024 (with one set of problems), and 2048 (with a different set of problems). At 1536 I saw both sets of problems, but not as often. With 3072, I have not (yet - at about 17 hours) seen either set of problems.

I am using the SMP-106 kernel (from eCS 2.2 b2), but I also tried it with the SMP-105 kernel (briefly). I can't say that I have seen a performance change, but I am surprised that it is actually working.

If you try this, be sure that you have an alternate boot system, so you can change it back to what works, for you.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 10:37:58 pm »
I've been running with virtualaddress=3072 for a couple of years as it is required to have enough memory to link the debug xul.dll (almost 800MBs) and with my 2GBs of ram the swap file can grow to about 500MBs)  and haven't noticed any problems.
I think it depends on hardware, eg if you have a graphics card with 1GB of memory, you might have problems, same if you have a large HPFS386 or maybe JFS cache as cache goes into high memory and hardware address space grows down from the top.

Sergey Posokhov

• View Profile
    • OS/2 API Research
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2016, 11:31:38 pm »
I saw the same problem with JFS on two volumes, but then I switched to HPFS+JFS and slowness has gone.
Many strange problems (including snowflakes on the screen) has gone with new Panorama.
And, thanks to Lars Erdmann, all USB keyboards now works correctly.