Author Topic: OS/2 Discord Channel  (Read 10456 times)

warpsalad

OS/2 Discord Channel
« on: December 19, 2019, 05:29:09 am »
Started an OS/2 Discord if anyone was into that kind of thing: https://discord.gg/bRJ9gya
May link it up to IRC in the future, we'll see

hakuchi

Re: OS/2 Discord Channel
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2019, 01:09:06 pm »
IRC is quite enough, me thinks :)

Just joined to #netlabs, which I have forgotten to do, but this was good reminder, thanks!

:D

Mathias

• using ArcaOS
    • View Profile
    • IRC
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 01:21:01 pm »
I also prefer IRC over Discord, since it's features are plenty enough for me. Also since all retro OSes have IRC support, regardless of AmigaOS, OS/2, DOS and the lot.
Discord is "not gonna fly" with any of them. - Also it punishes VPN usage, as you need to give them your mobile phone number, or else you cannot access their services.

Nonetheless Discord, Facebook, Twitter and the whole lot of "the new internet" makes absolutely sense to bring OS/2 also to newer users, who might not use IRC or have never heard of. - Generally thumbs up, even though I'll not be on Discord... for the said reason: They won't let me in. : ]

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 06:11:28 pm »
Hi

I like to try all the stuff. Discord had been used a lot by gamers and twitch streamers to communicate with their followers and even to have voice chat for some online games that do not have that feature.

It is always interesting to try other communication technologies. I also use Riot (client) and matrix (server), since it has a more open source spirit, and it also has a bridge with some IRC networks. For example you can access #netlabs IRC via Web.

What worries my is that services like Discord, Slack and others may come and go with time (Like IBM's Watson Workplace) and it is possible that the knowledge generated on those chats will be gone.

Regards
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 06:13:45 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 12:11:36 am »
Does Discord have an OS/2 client? If not then I see no sense to use it for communication. As well as Telegram, Matrix etc. But Telegram
previously had a web client. Slack had both a web client and gates to irc and jabber. Now these gates are gone away, and web client no
more works with OS/2 browsers. telegram web client too. Though, I'm still using Slack via Bitlbee IRC to different IM networks gateway,
which I run on my Linux VPS server. So, I can connect to it with a simple IRC client from OS/2. Besides Slack, Bitlbee has transports
to ICQ, Jabber, Skype, Telegram, Facebook, VK, Twitter, etc. Of course, voice and video calls are unavailable from IRC, but usually text
is sufficient.

warpsalad

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 11:08:56 am »
IRC is quite enough, me thinks :)

Just joined to #netlabs, which I have forgotten to do, but this was good reminder, thanks!

:D
I was actually meaning to bridge the OS/2 IRC channels into the discord (but of course I'll need permission from the IRC channel managers). Why not have both, I say.

Does Discord have an OS/2 client? If not then I see no sense to use it for communication. As well as Telegram, Matrix etc. But Telegram
previously had a web client. Slack had both a web client and gates to irc and jabber. Now these gates are gone away, and web client no
more works with OS/2 browsers. telegram web client too. Though, I'm still using Slack via Bitlbee IRC to different IM networks gateway,
which I run on my Linux VPS server. So, I can connect to it with a simple IRC client from OS/2. Besides Slack, Bitlbee has transports
to ICQ, Jabber, Skype, Telegram, Facebook, VK, Twitter, etc. Of course, voice and video calls are unavailable from IRC, but usually text
is sufficient.

Yeah I did use discord on OS/2 via firefox--although, it *really* needs the falkon Qt5 refresh.

hakuchi

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2019, 07:54:18 pm »
Why not have both, I say.

Jolly good!

More is MOarRr!

:)

Just cannot see much value in it ... all old-f***s knows IRC and such and for us it's enough ... hard to see some individual who is using blinketi-bling-bling-what-ever-http-protocol-abusing-stuff would suddenly "find" OS/2 / ArcaOS just because of miraculously got interested of it due the discord channel.

But That's just me.

Been doing too much unnecessary what-ever-things in the past ... nowadays I'll take a very close look if the effort is worth of it ...

Yet, I still find spending hours of labour to make something nobody uses nor appreciates :)

Usenet groups and mailing lists and such good ol' thinkies would be something I'd like to see revival and more use.

Kudos to the one who ever made "Warp" @ groups.io .. let's kick that thingie alive, mmmkay?

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2019, 08:07:03 pm »
Hi Hakuchi.

I made the Warp group: https://groups.io/g/warp
It is more like an experiment, but everybody is free to join and see what comes of it.

Also, if someone would like to have moderation rights, please let me know.

Regards

Update: Corrected, I think I always use "anybody" in the wrong way.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 02:09:29 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

hakuchi

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 01:19:54 am »
It is more like an experiment, but anybody is free to join and see what comes of it.

Looks like we got one more subscriber already :D

I'm taking a look at groups.io to see if I'm able to use it, or more specific their API, in one project and of course one searches for OS/2 groups while at it :)

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2019, 03:08:38 am »
Likely me testing how easy to subscribe it was, it was as easy as sending an email or two.