Author Topic: Is it possible to update the USBEthernet Driver?  (Read 16090 times)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• OS/2 Versus Hardware - Maximum Warp!
    • View Profile
Is it possible to update the USBEthernet Driver?
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:59:42 am »
I am wondering: is it possible to update the USBEthernet Driver to Support newer devices?

Please see my post here (using Google translator):

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.os2.org%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D2%26t%3D866&edit-text=

Thanks in advance!

Lars

• View Profile
Re: Is it possible to update the USBEthernet Driver?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 01:24:04 pm »
Not really. The existing USB Ethernet driver is limited to a specific chipset (KAWASAKI LSI KL5KUSB101).
The driver even loads some firmware code onto the chip on system start which makes it specific to that chipset.
Additionally, this is NOT a WLAN Ethernet driver. It's limited to (wired) LAN.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 04:03:26 pm »
Hi

The not elegant workaround for wifi is to use one "Ethernet-to-Wifi" adapter like this one.  (USB port is only for power).

But on the downside, sometimes the cheaper devices are hard to configure since you can only configure them on Windows, and also it is not good with the new ultranotebooks that does not have ethernet at all.

Regards
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 04:11:06 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 05:48:25 pm »
Not really. The existing USB Ethernet driver is limited to a specific chipset (KAWASAKI LSI KL5KUSB101).
The driver even loads some firmware code onto the chip on system start which makes it specific to that chipset.
Additionally, this is NOT a WLAN Ethernet driver. It's limited to (wired) LAN.

Hi Lars,

thank you for your answer, I was not looking for WLAN, the Sony Vaio Pro 13 does not come with a LAN Adapter at all and I wondered if there is a way to start with this here - that then I could use with the Tablet Samsung Serie 7 Slate es well, that does not have a LAN (except in Docking Station) port - and the WLAN Hardware is not supported as well.

ak120

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:39:20 am »
There's only one connectivity solution (besides using Kawasaki LSI compatible adapters with cable converter) left in this scenario. An USB to RS232 adapter, but that is limited to 460.8 Kbps. USB to RS485 adapters can handle up to double throughput, but here you need a custom driver and a special device at the destination port.
... however sneakernet should work at least. :-\

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 10:13:06 am »
There's only one connectivity solution (besides using Kawasaki LSI compatible adapters with cable converter) left in this scenario. An USB to RS232 adapter, but that is limited to 460.8 Kbps. USB to RS485 adapters can handle up to double throughput, but here you need a custom driver and a special device at the destination port.
... however sneakernet should work at least. :-\

Fortunately this is wrong. Please follow the link in my first post, I saw by accident a more modern driver written by Holger Veith (Thanks to him!!) on hobbes.

I think I can close this case  :)

ak120

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »
Good luck for locating such specific device, or happy patching (line 770 of drvstub1.pas), compling and testing.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 04:17:32 pm »
Good luck for locating such specific device, or happy patching (line 770 of drvstub1.pas), compling and testing.

Nothing easier than this: Fortunately there are plenty of them availiable, just look for "USB Ethernet MCS7830", like in example:
http://www.startech.com/de/Netzwerk-IO/USB-Netzwerkadapter/Kompakter-USB-20-auf-10-100-MBits-Ethernet-Adapter~USB2106S. In addition this driver supports USB 2.0 and LAN up to 100MBit. There are more, and cheaper adapters around (from 5 to 10 Euro), just take care of the chipset MCS7830. I do not see a reason why I should compile something so far.

I already ordered one and will report  :)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 10:26:16 pm »
And YES - thanks to Holger Veiths Driver and his assistance I am writing this here form my Sony Vaio Pro 13  8)

Holgers Driver (the hardware does only cost a few dollar) one con handle USB -> LAN, and with the Adpater Doug suggested even USB -> LAN -> WLAN!!!

So - if you have a Laptop (like Mikes X250) and does not have an Network Connection - do not worry as long as you have a working USB Port.
Please read the thread in OS2.ORG as well, I will add more information there.

A big thank to Holger Veith!!!

onlineuser2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 11:25:45 pm »
Very interesting!!!!
Great!

what about speed?

May it be a workaround for wireless wifi?

As you go on testing, please give some easy directions for endusers not too skilled!!!!! Thanks Sigurd

Onlineuser2

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 03:40:30 am »
Hi Sigurd.

Can you also post the HardwareID of the USB 2.0 Fast Ethernet Adapter that you are using?

Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 07:54:39 am »
Hi,

@ onlineuser2: you can use the USB LAN adapter like any other LAN Adapter card, I followed the instructions of the readme and used MPTS. The setup of your personal network situation may vary and you might have to adjust it. There was one additional thing: the Adapter I use does not come with an own MAC Adress, fortunately one can adjust one by yourself, in MPTS while choosing the Adapter you can configure it and that's it.
One more great thing is that the adapter does not have to be plugged in from the Systemstart, if not - there is no error message during booting. Once you plug it in later the driver automatically does the configuration.
Regarding Speed: it seems to me to have no recognizeable delay in surfing the net, the Adapter is capeable of 100MBit but Holger writes in his Readme as well, that he thinks the speed is slower. I will try to test and report something.

@ Martin: the only thing one has to check is that the Adapter comes with an MCS7830 chipset. There seems to be a great variety of those, I am using this one here: http://www.startech.com/de/Netzwerk-IO/USB-Netzwerkadapter/Kompakter-USB-20-auf-10-100-MBits-Ethernet-Adapter~USB2106S. Just use "Moschip 7830 USB LAN Adapter" with the search engine you like and you will find some.
The Readme from Holger's Driver shows the Hardware ID of the Chipset:  Vendor 0x9710 and Product 0x7830

Notice: Holger Veith did update the driver that resides on hobbes, he made it more SMP friendly. I guess he will release this new version once he want to. The current free availiable driver there might not work that good on SMP systems.

I attach the Readme as well as a picture of the Hardware "at work"  :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:07:37 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »

ak120

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 01:56:18 pm »
you can use the USB LAN adapter like any other LAN Adapter card

Really, how the bios/firmware will recognise it to be a bootable device. So booting over LAN is only possible with additional USB floppy or other storage device.

Regarding Speed: it seems to me to have no recognizeable delay in surfing the net

More interesting would be common use in a LAN environment. How much throughput and how reliable for small/bigger files sent by ftp? Well, it's funny that this chinese crap works at all to some degree.

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 02:27:01 pm »
Really, how the bios/firmware will recognise it to be a bootable device. So booting over LAN is only possible with additional USB floppy or other storage device.
More interesting would be common use in a LAN environment. How much throughput and how reliable for small/bigger files sent by ftp? Well, it's funny that this chinese crap works at all to some degree.

I am not interested in both as it does what I need - no need of sneakernet as you suggested   :) . Feel free to test it on your own if you are interested in. Adapters aren't that expensive, you can then easily answer all your deep questions by yourself.  ;)

Sigurd Fastenrath

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 09:02:34 pm »
I tested this Adapter with success: http://www.amazon.de/Delock-USB-2-0-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B0009M1LFW/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1455220450&sr=8-9&keywords=delock+usb+LAN. It has the advantage that it does not block the second USB Adapter.

After installing Arca Noae Package Manager even AOO 4.1.2 starts without issues now  :)

Regarding speed: while watching a HTML5 Youtube Video it was about 1316kb/sec - please see the right upper corner in the second picture.

For me that's more than enough, even if the video struggles from time to time (may be because of FF24)  :)

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 07:58:27 am by Sigurd Fastenrath »