Author Topic: Mouse pointer color change with Win-OS/2 applications  (Read 6185 times)

ak120

Mouse pointer color change with Win-OS/2 applications
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:20:13 pm »
OS/2 Presentation Manager's mouse pointer is a black arrow, that works fine for spreadsheets in 1-2-3. But sometimes I have to open quite big tables in Improv or Excel under Win-OS/2. Locating the pointer especially on larger screensizes becomes difficult because it changed the colour to a white arrow. So how can I change the mouse pointer colour to black? There's no option in WIN.INI's mouse settings available.

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

• View Profile
Re: Mouse pointer color change with Win-OS/2 applications
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 07:57:23 am »
OS/2 Presentation Manager's mouse pointer is a black arrow, that works fine for spreadsheets in 1-2-3. But sometimes I have to open quite big tables in Improv or Excel under Win-OS/2. Locating the pointer especially on larger screensizes becomes difficult because it changed the colour to a white arrow. So how can I change the mouse pointer colour to black? There's no option in WIN.INI's mouse settings available.
If I remember it correctly you will have to change the pointer in Windows to an alternative pointer file (a form of BMP file), it may be simpler to enable multipointers or enable mouse trails in Win.ini for full screen sessions, it is not a good look and can get irritating but certainly makes the pointers more visible:

MouseTrails=<number>

MouseTrails=3
is a good start

ak120

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 05:05:10 pm »
Yes, the resource should be inside of display driver.

from system.ini:
display.drv=ifgdi2vm.drv
sdisplay.drv=isgdi2vm.drv

So how to change the colour of the pointer from black to white for the frame and from white to black (or inverted). I remember old Microsoft mouse driver for windows had an optional tool called WINMOUSE. Small tools only work in full screen sessions but not in seamless mode.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 07:42:26 pm »
Yes, the resource should be inside of display driver.

I find the pointer controls to be in the AMouse driver, on my systems (I use AMouse, but I seem to recall other mouse drivers do the same). There are a number of color, and size, options that may help.