Author Topic: Experiment: cWarp - Crappy Warp / Changing the stuff.  (Read 29562 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Experiment: cWarp - Crappy Warp / Changing the stuff.
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 11:38:18 pm »
Hi

I just tried it out. I replaced PNP.SYS and ISAPNP.SNP with your file and cWarp keeps booting fine on the Virtual Machine.

Thanks a lot.

Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2016, 04:01:41 pm »
Hi

Yesterday someone made me remember that we already have an open source REXXUTIL.DLL replacement. I even uploaded it to github some time ago but I forgot about it.

I had replaced it on cWarp without any issues and I marked it as green on my "Required Replacements" page.

I'm still looking for someone to compile SCREEN01.SYS, TIMER0.SYS and TESTCFG.SYS from teh IBM DDK. No matter if it is backlevel, it is just for the experiment.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Wim Brul

• View Profile
    • Wim's home page
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2016, 04:25:56 pm »
Hi Martin,

I'm still looking for someone to compile SCREEN01.SYS, TIMER0.SYS and TESTCFG.SYS from the IBM DDK. No matter if it is backlevel, it is just for the experiment.

I don't have the source code for these drivers, but writing my own testcfg.sys was possible.
I have attached a minimal replacement for testcfg.sys with free source code. It only supports:
Generic IOCtl Category 80h, Function 40h - Obtain a Copy of BIOS/Adapter Memory.

Regards,

Wim

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2016, 11:44:36 am »
Martin, the rexxutil.dll is older and crippled.

It's a problem to use old and obsolete code as it is severely limited in use and function.

it would take many man hours to rewrite only that, to reach even the current level, even more for the OS itself.
One should negotiate with the one that "own" OS/2 object rexx and get the parts that differ from the ones that was open sourced to rexxla.org and incorporate their improvements.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 02:34:14 pm »
Thanks Wim

I will be trying that file on the experiment.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2016, 02:59:29 pm »
Hi Jan-Erik.

This experiment it is not about functionality, it is more about replacing components to have a "set of basic functionality" with replacements.

Martin, the rexxutil.dll is older and crippled.
Do you mean the Open Source REXXUTIL.DLL clone? Maybe it is crippled since I don't know it in detail since I don't have experience with REXX. But I can not agree it is older. From what I see on the binaries IBM REXXUTIL.DLL is from "9-06-2000 12:42    1999.518152034    68,119 bytes" while OSS Clone REXXUTIL.DLL is "3-06-2008 9:40p    2.10.1    68,482 bytes" (Source) If there is a newer IBM REXXUTIL.DLL let me know so I can update the EDM/2 wiki.

For me is as basic as "Good close source/abandonware software can not be improved. Bad open source software can be improved."

One should negotiate with the one that "own" OS/2 object rexx and get the parts that differ from the ones that was open sourced to rexxla.org and incorporate their improvements.

The one that owns OS/2 Object REXX is IBM, they are not currently releasing any source code from OS/2. If you know the person in charge of Object REXX that has contacts within IBM maybe I can talk to him, but for the moment I don't have faith on IBM releasing source code.

Setting away the topic from my cWarp experiment. My person opinion (which can be discussed on other thread) is to start moving to REGINA REXX slowly. Let's migrate any script that is currently used in REXX and that can be moved to REGINA without too much trouble now, and lets grow the Regina interest. From other discussion that we had (2014 - Regina REXX vs. OS/2 REXX) we have the following challenges with REGINA:

1) All the OS/2 REXX scripts should need to be adapted for Regina.
2) Every app in "Object REXX" will fail running over Regina. Plus we don't have "Open Object Rexx" ported.
3) While OS/2 REXX is integrated with the os, Regina is a separate executable. A better integration needs to be created.

I know this is the area of "Fixing what is not broken" and people are scared to comment or try, but again, I prefer bad open source code over good abandonware. (personal taste).  I think it can be great if someone can take the REGINA Flag inside the OS/2 community and start doing experiments and try different things.

Regards
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:08:44 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 06:53:45 pm »
Thanks Wim.

cWarp keeps booting with your experimental TESTCFG.SYS. I updated my list of "Required Replacements" and also uploaded your code to GitHub.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2016, 02:49:00 pm »
Hi.

I would like to find out more about "PMMRGRES.DLL". I want to know if this file can be generated from other ways, or if there is any replacements available, or at least try to document what it has inside.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:59:49 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster