Author Topic: Improve installer of OS/2  (Read 4927 times)

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
Improve installer of OS/2
« on: March 18, 2016, 09:31:27 pm »
OS/2 Guru site is collecting ideas how to improve OS/2 installer -- http://os2.guru/commentnews.php?id=2465  -> http://en.os2.guru/projects/userinterface/?action=installer
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:34:19 pm by Eugene Gorbunoff »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: Improve installer of OS/2
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 01:00:51 am »
Hi

We used to have a discussion about it last year.
I think that the points in your article are a good topic for discussion.

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Joop

• View Profile
Re: Improve installer of OS/2
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 06:45:38 pm »
Current state: the user should configure system (several steps) then several old IBM OS/2 Warp installers are executed. New eComStation components are installer.
Its still a distribution which has protected components and which may not be altered. So delivery IBM Warp 4.52 (as far as I know its latest) has to be done in the way it came from IBM.

INSTALL-001: The preparation of volumes requires many efforts.
    CHANGE TO: Default: remove all partitions, create 1. The user should confirm. Without call of miniLVM utility.
    One more time: Scheme: Fast installation
    Implement scheme: Fast installation. The user select hard drive. eCS installer formats it, automatically creates 1 volume. Starts installation.
I don't agree here. Its very wise to do an in depth format. Its about the only time you do this and after this round your sure that your HD does not have any defects. Don't go the Windows way, dump it on disk and hope for the best.

INSTALL-002: English language in standard version.
    CHANGE TO: The installer should be multi-language. (we talk about eComStation Internation English)
I don't understand this, with someone else I did the translation for Dutch, so I believe the installer is multi-language, but it might be that there are no translators for your language.

INSTALL-003: Installation from USB CD-ROM:
    In current version you should modify preboot-menu to install from USB CD-ROM CHANGE TO: USB CD-ROM should be activated by default and Installation should be ready to process from USB CD-ROM.
Might be that in your country CD-ROM is always mounted through USB, but in other countries CD-ROM is a build in component. So if it is changed to what you want we certainly get complaints from other users why it is not set to whatever standard. I still have a CD-ROM for parallel port, may be we have to change it to that port  ;D.

INSTALL-004: System information:
    The user is blind, no information about computer at all. Which drivers to select?! CHANGE TO: a) Add SysInfo utility to Utilities. b) Show names and IDs of devices on the page with drivers selection (video adapter, disk controller, ..)
I want to add that most users also don't read the manual. Not from the installer, not from the motherboard, not from the monitor and so on.