Author Topic: OS/2: Connect to Windows 7  (Read 17280 times)

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
OS/2: Connect to Windows 7
« on: February 19, 2016, 08:38:23 pm »
I am sorry to make this question again, Does Samba client for OS/2 work for the users?

* The instructions from eCS 2.2 manual don't help
* This instructions don't help -- http://www.eracc.com/content/ecs-samba-client-windows-7-professional

Other suggestions don't help -- http://faq.ecomstation.ru/index.php/RU/CoonectWindowsShare#eComStation_2.2_manual

Configuration:
* let's take standard Windows 7 Pro, clean install
* let's take eCS 2.x, EVFSGUI,  + NetDrive with Samba plugin
* let's setup Windows 7 by eCS 2.2 intsructions
* Current state: Drive letter is attached, No files, if copy files to the drive letter then you see message: Access denied.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: OS/2: Connect to Windows 7
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 08:59:39 pm »
It used to work, a few years ago, but microsoft changed the rules, and the current SAMBA client isn't smart enough to keep up.

If you find the instructions for making windows XP work with windows 7, you might be able to get it to go, but that involves turning off most of the, so called, windows security (and I don't think windows 10 will work anyway).

As I understand it, there is a new SAMBA version in development, and even windows 10 should work with it (until microsoft changes the rules again), but that is about all that I know about it.

I have had no problems with installing the SAMBA server in eCS, and using windows (even 10) as a client, so that is what I use.

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 09:01:22 pm »
* SAMBA Server is a separate topic.

* OS/2 Samba Client, is it compatible with Windows 7 with Service Pack 1?

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 06:55:47 am »
SAMBA Server is a separate topic.

Not if you want to communicate between windows, and eCS.

OS/2 Samba Client, is it compatible with Windows 7 with Service Pack 1?

SP1 is ancient, in windows terms. I wouldn't even consider trying to use windows 7 at that level any more. I don't remember if SP1 was what screwed it up, or if that came later (later, I suspect). In any case, to get windows 7 to talk to eCS SAMBA client, you need to turn off most (or all) of the security stuff in windows. Even then, it may not work any more.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 09:05:14 am »
As I understand it, there is a new SAMBA version in development, and even windows 10 should work with it (until microsoft changes the rules again), but that is about all that I know about it.

I'm working on a Samba client for OS/2 based on the latest Samba 4.x code. The focus here is SMB2+ support. I have no idea how this impacts on windows 10 support, or where you would get the idea that the intent is to support windows 10.

Cheers,

Paul

Mike Kölling

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 12:46:04 pm »
On one peer network with some W7 machines I am able to connect on other it is refused. Checking W7 settings seems to be equal for me over all the machines so I have no clue why different results popping up.
Greetings from Potsdam/Germany,
Mike

Eugene Gorbunoff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 02:25:12 pm »
> turn off most (or all) of the security stuff in windows

Yes,

So, what options to change? What parameters to verify?

eCS 2.1 / eCS 2.2 manual instructions don't work. So.. what OS/2 users were doing during the last 10 years? How do we connect to Windows 7?!

Murphy

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 03:32:45 pm »
Using samba in ECS/OS/2 check smb.conf file, make sure workgroup name is the same as Windows.
"smb.conf file found in mptn\etc\samba" Must be using samba of course.
Make sure that something is shared in smb.conf
eg:
[C]
        comment = Drive C: (JFS)
        path = C:/
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        hide files = /*. SF/root/

Start the samba service

Windows 7 setup.
Create a folder/directory eg I use a folder called "Public". eg: c:\Public
Right click on your new or old folder you wish to share.
Select share with specific people.
Choose "everybody" and allow read and write permissions.

Right click on the same folder and select properties/sharing and select advanced sharing.
select "Share this folder"
Apply,ok, close window.

Now go to control panel and find network and sharing center under advanced sharing settings.
Under both "home or work" and "Public"
turn on network discovery.
turn on file and printer sharing
turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders
Under password protected sharing turn off password protected sharing.

I only share one folder and only put what needs to be shared, and I turn off the default share on the
folder called Users.
So at the end of this you should be able to share a folder with NO password.
I share all my drives on ECS2.2 and one folder on each windows machine with no problems.
Use these notes at your own risk!!! :)

Hope this helps and happy networking.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 05:46:59 pm »
Mathew,

I assume your directions are for running samba SERVER on OS/2-eCS and seeing it on win 7. 

The big problem is trying to use samba CLIENT on OS/2-eCS and seeing the samba server on win 7.  When that problem is solved a lot of people will be happy.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 11:10:19 pm »
So, what options to change? What parameters to verify?

Google using XP with windows 7, and it should get you into the right area, but I think windows 7 will no longer allow anything that it doesn't know about.

One other thing, that may still work, is to get http://www.88watts.net/download/netbeui.zip, which might still work in windows 7 (I haven't tried it). That should allow OS/2 to use NETBIOS (not NETBIOS over TCPIP) to connect to windows 7. You may run into problems doing it though because some devices (routers, WiFi, etc.) won't pass the data packets.

The big problem is trying to use samba CLIENT on OS/2-eCS and seeing the samba server on win 7.

SAMBA server on windows 7? I never tried that. I just use the windows built in server, which doesn't talk to our client. I don't think the problem is with the server itself, the problem is getting past the security crap in windows 7. We probably have the same problems with OSX, but I don't know that, for sure.

Murphy

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 12:25:10 am »
I hope these photos that I took of my ECS2.2 and Windows net view should show that I can use Windows and ECS shares across my network .
http://www.photo-host.org/images/2016/02/20/IcE2.jpg
http://www.photo-host.org/images/2016/02/20/f2mYtx3QI.jpg "windows 7 command prompt"

FYI I am using Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 with most updates just not the Windows 10 nag updates.
If any one needs to know the Windows 10 nag updates and how to remove them don't be shy to ask for all the info. "Also covers Windows 8 and 8.1"  :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:18:31 am by Mathew »

Greggory Shaw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 04:37:04 am »
Instead of re-inventing things here, can I recommend improving and correcting these two detailed guides !

Samba/2 Networking eCS & Win 7

http://os2notes.net/os2win.html

There's a comment section for corrections and improvements !

Setting up Samba/2

http://www.baywarp.org/features/samba.shtml

Cheers,

Greggory
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 04:42:28 am by Greggory Shaw »