Author Topic: What is the most up-to-date OS/2 Toolkit? And how to get there....?  (Read 7160 times)

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
Quite some time ago I installed a Warp4 version of the OS/2 Toolkit on my machine, however, I am wanting to get "updated" and take a stab at a few small things (like PUMon which eats up 50% of CPU on a single core when I run my system with all 6-cores enabled - it does not exhibit this behaviour when only 5 cores are enabled though...LOL). So the intent is to build a workable debug environment and re-compile source code as needed.

Over the years I have accumulated an assortment of various Toolkit updates (although none of them beyond the original War4 Toolkit CSDs have been installed) and as best as I can tell I have what looks to be an official 4.50.2 (XR04520) release. Are there any newer official OS/2 Toolkits/updates out there?

Now regarding the actuall install/un-install process. I have the VisualAgeC++ and IBM C/C++ Compiler (3.6.5) tools installed as well. A few years back I had a working development environment set up and did a little OS/2 investigating trying to understand how the development environment was structured.

Quite frankly, I can not remember if the OS/2 Toolkit was a separate install, or whether that was part of the IBM C/C++ install...pretty certain it was not included with VisualAgeC++.

Can anyone recommend the best practice to follow here to get this cleaned-up? I am thinking it would be best to un-install the Warp4 Toolkit and then install the newer 4.5x stuff...I have the following versions available:

1) IBM OS/2 Developer's Toolkit Version 4.5 - XR04500 - 4.50
2) IBM OS/2 Developer's Toolkit Version 4.5 - XR04510 - 4.50.1
3) IBM OS/2 Developer's Toolkit Version 4.5 - XR04520 - 4.50.2

Do I un-install my Warp4 Toolkit and install all of the above 1 after the next (additive install), or should I go directly to 4.50.1 and then apply the 4.50.2 on top of it? The 4.50.2 drop I have may be an un-official release as it appears to be made up of just the stuff that was updated and does not have a CSD style install.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: What is the most up-to-date OS/2 Toolkit? And how to get there....?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:44:21 am »
Can anyone recommend the best practice to follow here to get this cleaned-up? I am thinking it would be best to un-install the Warp4 Toolkit and then install the newer 4.5x stuff...I have the following versions available:

1) IBM OS/2 Developer's Toolkit Version 4.5 - XR04500 - 4.50
2) IBM OS/2 Developer's Toolkit Version 4.5 - XR04510 - 4.50.1
3) IBM OS/2 Developer's Toolkit Version 4.5 - XR04520 - 4.50.2

Do I un-install my Warp4 Toolkit and install all of the above 1 after the next (additive install), or should I go directly to 4.50.1 and then apply the 4.50.2 on top of it? The 4.50.2 drop I have may be an un-official release as it appears to be made up of just the stuff that was updated and does not have a CSD style install.

My os2tk45 has this in the readme.1st
This package updates IBM Developer's Toolkit for OS/2 v 4.50 and 4.51 to the
current level (4.52 with HIGHMEM update). To install it, copy the entire
directory structure over your existing Toolkit setup.

New content added since 4.50 includes the OMF and LX executable format
documentation (BOOK\OMFREF.HTM and BOOK\LXREF.HTM).

So yes, uninstall the v4 toolkit and install v451 and then v452 over it.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 05:18:17 pm »
Hi Dave!

My os2tk45 has this in the readme.1st
This package updates IBM Developer's Toolkit for OS/2 v 4.50 and 4.51 to the
current level (4.52 with HIGHMEM update). To install it, copy the entire
directory structure over your existing Toolkit setup.

New content added since 4.50 includes the OMF and LX executable format
documentation (BOOK\OMFREF.HTM and BOOK\LXREF.HTM).

So yes, uninstall the v4 toolkit and install v451 and then v452 over it.

Great insight...I did not catch this but it does give me a pretty good idea regarding how to install the 4.52 stuff.

As it happens, shortly after I posted here I did come across the GitHub repository which I believe attempts to make the latest version of the toolkit available, see https://github.com/bitwiseworks/os2tk45. Full ZIP release is there, but it is not an install, instead it is very much meant to be deployed on top of an existing install, so very much like the 4.52 version which you have.

OK, now onto what I had not actually expected to be the more challenging part of this process, which is the actual 4.00 un-install...I have VACPP objects in my "Installed Features" folder (attached photo shows this). Both of the "VACPP_FI" objects point to the "OS/2 Toolkit - xxx" features, however I have no idea why the heck I have two of the "VACPP_FI" objects in the first place. What I do not have anywhere is a 4.00 Toolkit un-install object or even a stand alone "Installed Features" object.

Either way, I have not attempted to un-install from here, but something tells me I should try this first. My only worry is that I do not want to impact the actual VisualAgeC++ or my IBM C/C++ installations...boy...it's been a while since I have done this...sure got a little "rusty" on the know-how...LOL!

Silvan Scherrer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:17:44 am »

As it happens, shortly after I posted here I did come across the GitHub repository which I believe attempts to make the latest version of the toolkit available, see https://github.com/bitwiseworks/os2tk45. Full ZIP release is there, but it is not an install, instead it is very much meant to be deployed on top of an existing install, so very much like the 4.52 version which you have.

There is of course a rpm for that. yum list *toolkit* will tell you the right name.

regards
Silvan
kind regards
Silvan
CTO bww bitwise works GmbH

Please help us with donations, so we can further work on OS/2 based projects. Our Shop is at https://www.bitwiseworks.com/shop/index.php

Dariusz Piatkowski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 04:03:27 pm »
Well..mostly good news to report...I was able to un-install the Warp4 toolkit using the Install/UnInstall "Feature Install" options...pretty clean end-result.

I then installed the Warp 4.52 toolkit using the TKINSTAL method...however, I noticed that during the install it tossed a bunch of it's SOM into my LIBPATH, PATH statements as well as having re-defined:

SET SOMBASE=G:\OS2
SET SOMRUNTIME=G:\OS2\DLL

to

SET SOMBASE=G:\code\tools\toolkit\som
SET SOMRUNTIME=G:\code\tools\toolkit\som\common

My LIBPATH had the following entries added to the very front:
G:\code\tools\toolkit\samples\mm\dll;G:\code\tools\toolkit\som\common\dll;G:\code\tools\toolkit\som\lib;

...which unfortunately must have made my total LIBPATH length too big as it caused a boot error (SYS02068 - unable to locate DOSCALL1).

Anyways, my biggest worry here is re: SOMBASE and SOMRUNTIME statements, the toolkit .IR files are different than that I find in OS2.

Can I safely ignore the SOM part of Toolkit driven changes to the CONFIG.SYS?