Author Topic: XWorkplace enhancements  (Read 6823 times)

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
XWorkplace enhancements
« on: August 04, 2016, 05:50:49 pm »
Hello,

Would like to ask for a feature enhancement to XWorkplace, "large icon support" (such as 32x32 and 40x40 pixels) in XCenter, but can't register nor add it to the new tracker.

Regards
//Jan-Erik Lärka
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:13:34 pm by Jan-Erik Lärka »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: XWorkplace enhancements
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 02:55:38 pm »
Hi Jan-Erik

What is the tracker URL that you are trying, just to be sure ?
1) I have this one https://xtracker.xworkplace.org/, which it does not work anymore.
2) and this one: https://xtracker.netlabs.org/ . Which my login does not longer works... I'm resetting my password to try if I can log on.

I think that XWorkplace requires some serious love and not only bug-patching. Sadly, like in a lot of other OS/2 projects, it seems to be a things of resources (time & money), will and skills to revive that "super cool open source monster".

On eCS 2.2 I had been using that eCo software that increase the size of the icons for the 1920x1080 14" screen that I have in a laptop. It works but it has some flaws from time to time. I really hope that something similar can be done in a open source way and preferable to be included on the XWorkplace project. The icon format on OS/2 also need to be updated to support SVG and/or PNG (that eCo Software supports PNG).

The other thing that I'm lacking on higher resolutions are the icon inside xcenter. You can make xcenter bigger, but the icons will not grow automatically, here are some comments I wrote time ago.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 04:22:35 pm »
As far as I know OS/2 can show icons with the format of max 256x256 pixels, but this is disabled. Don't know where the switch is to set it on. Icon editor can produce 256x256 icons, only the don't show as 256x256 icons.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:30:32 pm by Joop »

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 05:19:02 pm »
Hi

I just tried and login is working on https://xtracker.netlabs.org.

To be honest I never knew if there is some chance to have bigger icons on OS/2, I just know it by using that eco software that was included on eCS 2.2.  I really do not know if it is eSchemes Deluxe or Sunny icons or PNG Desktop, but I would prefer something open source created on XWorkplace.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:31:46 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 05:44:30 pm »
There's always WPS-Wizard,  http://trac.netlabs.org/wps-wizard, open source but needs work. IIRC, based on Cairo, which has had fixes for Mozilla since WPS-Wizard was written.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 06:17:30 pm »
I meant that as a first step, it would be nice if the button bar XCenter (not the desktop) would show large "native" icons for those with poor eye sight.

When that has been implemented and adjusted for it shouldn't be to far off to wish for png images as well.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 09:06:55 pm »
Hi Jan-Erik

My mistake, I skipped reading the "in XCenter" part. I don't know a way to have big icons there.
What it will be desirable is that xCenter can adjust the icons size manually or even automatically when you resize the bar.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster