Author Topic: Firefox 38.2.1  (Read 37043 times)

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Firefox 38.2.1
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 07:54:09 am »
I have a problem with firefox 38.2.1 that I haven't seen before.
It load the main window, but doesn't fill it with anything. (One can see the border and titlebar)
As I C-A-D I can see that pmshell.exe use 100% cpu.
If I kill the pmshell process (usually id 42 or 43) firefox can load and the restarted desktop come up again.
This doesn't always happen, but often enough.

Suggestions?

roberto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 11:23:48 am »
Hello
In ecs2.0 the firefox38.2.1 is working well, only I have problems for download files, i can not download.
But when I want to open IBMWORKS, editor,  the aplication not open, but is open in top.exe, I only can kill it. (this is similar to your problem)

In ecs2.2b2, work perfect the firefox and ibmworks.

Saludos

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 05:24:50 pm »
Yes, I have the problem that I can open files, but not save them to a folder, never ever to the root of a drive, it has/had to be a subfolder.
It just doesn't do anything with that option as the "Save to folder" dialog doesn't show up.

arr531

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 09:32:55 pm »
Hmm, I guess I am not the only one with the download issue.
Ubuntu 14.04 as the host
Virtualbox 4.2.36
OS/2 4.52 guest host
Firefox 38.2.1

Fist time I downloaded and ran Firefox, it was downloading files just fine. I shut it down and now it will no longer download files directly but I can open up zip files from websites with archive viewer(2.2) and extract them straight to the c drive. It also keeps coming up with the Restore Previous Session button at the bottom right corner of the page. The built-in pdf reader is working great though.

Oh by the way I did go to Mozilla's Troubleshooting site and tried all the suggestions they gave but to no avail. Weird.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 09:42:12 pm by adam »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 06:49:14 am »
I have a problem with firefox 38.2.1 that I haven't seen before.
It load the main window, but doesn't fill it with anything. (One can see the border and titlebar)
As I C-A-D I can see that pmshell.exe use 100% cpu.
If I kill the pmshell process (usually id 42 or 43) firefox can load and the restarted desktop come up again.
This doesn't always happen, but often enough.

Suggestions?

That's a new one. After double checking for duplicate (backlevel) DLLs on your LIBPATH, including the dot, eg programs that open at startup, you should probably open an issue at the Bitwise Github site.
Oh, try cleaning your INI files as well.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 12:22:43 am »
I have it running, but I'm not pleased. First started it in English for knowing that it just start without problems. After that switched it to Dutch, again what a pain. Its Dutch now. First thing I noticed is that the fonts used in the menu bar and so on are a little bigger. This will cost you real estate on the screen, so first homepage did appear with a slider on the right. More real estate gone. Not happy with that. Didn't find a way to adjust the font size for menu's and so on.
Tried my stored passwords. No. It will definite not read the password file in the right way. It sees that I have a password, have to give it, but the screen after that stays empty, no sites, no names, no passwords. Visited sites with password didn't show up a pop up for giving the password. This one is not working.
Not a big deal, I have to read my list of favorites now because the small pictures on the left are gone.
Real pain to get all as it was installed on my present 24.8.1. All extensions are not loaded, you have to activate them manually. In former versions there was a check if they were okay for use in that version, I didn't see it in 38.2.1. Didn't get a complain too, so I guess its okay. All in all, I'm not pleased the way FF is moving. I'm afraid I have to go this ride every time I install a new version of FF.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 06:18:07 am »
The password manager is now fixed. It was a problem with missing JS intl support and the need to port another library (more dependencies).  This might also affect file saving in some locales.
Another thing that may affect some users is that Mozilla removed most IBM codepages and so far 850 has been put back. If anyone is using a different codepage, they should file an issue so it can be restored.
BTW, not being able to save files to the root of a partition is an old issue that has been around since about FFv4.
Fonts should be able to be tweaked with a fonts.conf file, need to read up more on it.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 07:44:22 pm »
Okay, but is that version in which the problem is fixed available? I have a trap file, at the end an insane almost endless list of dll files which where accessible. If I did count correct 89.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 08:08:54 pm »
Dmitriy still needs to do more testing and commit his patches for ICU. He'll probably also update to the latest 38ESR before another release.
That DLL list is just a list of accessible DLLs, not dependencies. Makes it easier to see if all required DLLs are available.

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 12:10:06 pm »
That's a new one. After double checking for duplicate (backlevel) DLLs on your LIBPATH, including the dot, eg programs that open at startup, you should probably open an issue at the Bitwise Github site.
Oh, try cleaning your INI files as well.

Ahh, finally, my own strange thing ;)
I use wptools checkini to flush workspace0 & workspace1 handles.

Ok, I'll check for duplicates l8r with my own script then.
I do use ANPM to help me out with libraries.
____
I also noticed that passwords etc. didn't show up.
Nice that it will be resolved along with the download issue.

arr531

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2016, 12:38:49 pm »
Well actually I corrected the download issue. I downloaded Firefox again a different way then I originally had (it's a long story  :))and replaced the old folder with it. I also installed the package manager and it updated some of the dependency dlls and now Firefox downloads files without any issues every time I run it. It still is coming up with the restore previous button on the start page every time but that is not a critical issue. The downloading was.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2016, 05:37:22 pm »
Tried some youtube footage today, but its the same as with version 31.8.0b5, stutters and so on. Just stops playing when it has to load next frame. Not as smooth as with version 24.8.1b4 which loads total footage.

Andreas Schnellbacher

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 08:19:31 pm »
[...] youtube [...] stutters and so on. Just stops playing when it has to load next frame.
Confirmed. The future is webm (HTML 5) instead of swf.

I've tried the shumway add-on and it seems to work, with the exception of sound. AFAIR some of the tests on the referred page failed. There are several other add-ons for converting swf to webm on the fly. Search for html5, eventually together with swf on the Mozilla add-ons page.

Unfortunately all recent Mozilla ports don't support html5 audio, so that's no option for us yet. See the issues here and here.

Note that Bitwise Works declared that they won't develop the current Shockwave Flash plugin further.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:41:50 pm by Andreas Schnellbacher »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2016, 10:25:36 pm »
Of course all recent ports (from v4 - now including some of my releases) support HTML5 Audio, as long as it is OGG.
Looking at the source, it should be easy to support MP4 (AAC?) audio and video by using libav (FFmpeg fork) libraries. I'll try to enable it later today.

Joop

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2016, 02:59:03 pm »
Had some time today for further testing. So I tried to download some files and again it went full automatically down after three big files. So no improvement here. I downloaded
bluej-315.jar                      │ 7.081.351
bluej-ecs.zip                      │     9.208
bluej-ref-manual.pdf               │   768.751
drjava-stable-20140826-r5761-j.zip│ 7.193.111

The next "big" file was drjava-stable-20140826-r5761.jar   │12.928.003  and bye bye, FF crashes fast. It doesn't write trap file :-(. It doesn't write anything in popup.log :-(.

Got this in Firefox!.log;
DIVE forced on by MOZ_ACCELERATED=1 - pointer will be hidden
Changing DIVE from enabled to disabled - 'layers.acceleration.disabled' is TRUE
Fontconfig warning: ignoring nl_NL_EURO: not a valid region tag
console.error:
  [CustomizableUI]
  Custom widget with id loop-button does not return a valid node
WARNING: content window passed to PrivateBrowsingUtils.isWindowPrivate. Use isContentWindowPrivate instead (but only for frame s
cripts).
pbu_isWindowPrivate@resource://gre/modules/PrivateBrowsingUtils.jsm:25:14
@chrome://tabmixplus/content/changecode.js line 179 > eval:37:21
WARNING: content window passed to PrivateBrowsingUtils.isWindowPrivate. Use isContentWindowPrivate instead (but only for frame s
cripts).
pbu_isWindowPrivate@resource://gre/modules/PrivateBrowsingUtils.jsm:25:14
@chrome://tabmixplus/content/changecode.js line 179 > eval:37:21

FIREFOX.EXE:
Abnormal program termination
RWSCLI08: RwsExitListProc - termination code= 0

FIREFOX.EXE:
Abnormal program termination

What I can learn from that file that there is a DIVE problem, an PrivateBrowsing problem with a program line number.
And that I had an abnormal program termination, yup, did saw that. Still think that it has to do with some kind of filesize or buffersize, but on the other hand if such happens you expect an error message like buffer overflow or similar. And I didn't see that kind of messages.

Too bad I can't get more information to iron out this "bug" and I haven't a glue where to look for.