Author Topic: How to extend the size of the swapper file  (Read 4375 times)

Einar Lygre

• View Profile
How to extend the size of the swapper file
« on: March 16, 2016, 01:48:48 pm »
When I run Scribus with a document with a "lot" of images I get the error message: QImage: out of memory, returning null image. When running Scribus I also can see the available memory during the process. Normally the shared memory starts with about 160 MB, but ends (while loading the document) with 0 MB. So yes: Out of memory.
I thought that when this happened OS2 would use the swapper file, but the size of the swapper file does not change. I then changed the CONFIG.sys setting from SWAPPATH=E:\OS2\SYSTEM 2048 2048 to SWAPPATH=E:\OS2\SYSTEM 16384 2048, rebooted and checked the size. It was still 2048 kB. The Property book shows that the file is used. As I have about 4000 MB physical memory and 2400 MB virtual memory that should not be a problem.
Can anyone help?

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
Re: How to extend the size of the swapper file
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 03:15:20 pm »
Looks like you changed the size of minimum free instead of the size of the swap file.

SWAPPATH=<drive>:\<path> <minfree> <swapsize>

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: How to extend the size of the swapper file
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 03:33:01 pm »
The problem is that you are running out of low memory, which is in short supply on OS/2.
Using highmem.exe to mark the scribus DLLs (and QT DLLs?) to load high might help, otherwise recompiling and using the -Zhigh-mem switch might help.
Making sure other programs aren't running may also help.