Author Topic: Partition table on this disk may be corrupt  (Read 4551 times)

karotlopj

Partition table on this disk may be corrupt
« on: April 21, 2016, 05:46:35 pm »
I have often been greeted with this 'welcoming ' message when trying to install OS/2 when running LVM.

What is the suggested way around this?

I guess someone will say DFSee... but what can you do if you don't have it. Is there something that can be done using OS/2's commands?

Pete

• View Profile
Re: Partition table on this disk may be corrupt
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 08:12:09 pm »
Hi JohnP

What software was used to create the volumes/partitions on the disk? - most Windows and linux software is incompatible.

What size disk is involved?

You can download and use DFSee for *free*. What you pay for when you Register is the skillset of the developer who will help you fix the problems you report. If you do not Register you are on your own and will have to spend a bit (or in my case a lot) of time reading all the relevant documentation *before* attempting to fix even a simple problem. In the end I Registered and Jan was most helpful :-)

To get around your problem with OS/2s tools would probably required deleting existing partitions - backup first - and recreating partitions using LVM. However, if your disk is larger than 500Gb you will need DFSee to make the disk OS/2 compatible *before* you attempt to create partitions with LVM otherwise LVM will only "see" 500Gb of the disk.

Regards

Pete

karotlopj

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 08:37:36 pm »
Hi JohnP

What software was used to create the volumes/partitions on the disk? - most Windows and linux software is incompatible.

What size disk is involved?

I had a 320GB  disk with Windows 7 pre-installed most the space being free so I reduced the partition by attaching the disk to a running Windows system via a USB enclosure and created 160GB of free space, which I thought would be a handy amount to run OS/2 on. 

You can download and use DFSee for *free*. What you pay for when you Register is the skillset of the developer who will help you fix the problems you report. If you do not Register you are on your own and will have to spend a bit (or in my case a lot) of time reading all the relevant documentation *before* attempting to fix even a simple problem. In the end I Registered and Jan was most helpful :-)

To get around your problem with OS/2s tools would probably required deleting existing partitions - backup first - and recreating partitions using LVM. However, if your disk is larger than 500Gb you will need DFSee to make the disk OS/2 compatible *before* you attempt to create partitions with LVM otherwise LVM will only "see" 500Gb of the disk.

Regards

Pete

DFSee is one of those programs I'm never comfortable using because I don't really understand it. Having said that I did register it a few years ago.

I just wish there was a YouTube video showing how to use it.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 03:54:12 am »
Hi JohnP

Using Windows tools to resize the partition and probably create the original partition is the cause of the problem.

If you want to keep your Win7 partition you will need to back it up, then use LVM to delete all partitions and recreate partitions keeping the existing sizes. Once you have finished your OS/2 install you can restore the Win7 partition.

Who needs a youtube video showing how to get "over technical" and possibly ruin your hard drive? - Not me, I Registered DFSee  :-)

Having said that I am sure that, like other people, I do not like to bother Jan with tasks that I should be able to accomplish without help. As an eg all the above tasks to make your hard drive OS/2 compatible can be carried out from within DFSee -LVM not required at all - but not having tried to backup and restore anything using DFSee myself I would welcome a video about that subject.

However, I suspect that could mean that Jan would have to consider withdrawing the time limited free download as videos on youtube could impact on his business - why Register for support if you can find it free on youtube?

There is a dFSee discussion group on Yahoo which may be of help https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/dfsee-support/info

Regards

Pete