Author Topic: Problem installing eCups 2.1  (Read 26512 times)

arr531

Re: Problem installing eCups 2.1
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 12:43:05 am »
Okay so I had a change of heart and decided to try one more time. I went into the properties for the Epson_Workforce_545 printer object and looked at the list of installed printer drivers. 2 listed - ECUPS.0 and IBMNULL. I right clicked on the ECUPS.0 object and went to Install - New Device. A dialog popped up with a list of drivers that it pulled from c:\os2\dll\ecups. Did not find an Epson Workforce 545 but did find an Epson Workforce 500 and 600. Chose the 500. Now none of the apps crash when I select Print and it comes up with a print dialog. I selected print for a short file I had loaded in the text editor and it printed. I will try some other apps to see if they will now print. Weird - so not as an automated print setup as I would have wanted but it seems to be working now.

adam

arr531

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 04:34:54 pm »
Wow, this is incredible. I booted up today and tried to print from OpenOffice Writer and the thing is right back to the same issues. It is either Can't Detect File Type or the Loadfile Temp not a pdf file or sometimes it just says Pending since whatever date and nothing prints. I can see it popup in the Printer window for the printer but nothing. It must have been a fluke yesterday when I got it working. I give up. This is just too unstable on my system. Maybe you guys have gotten it to work on your setup and more power to you but it is just too screwy on mine. Unless it is a Virtualbox issue - I have no idea.

adam

oh there is one more thing I just noticed, all the jobs I attempt to sned from applications - the user is always designated as "Withheld".
Oh and here is one of the error messages: Processing - "Exception: qpdf output: Pl_StdioFile::write: Broken pipe" - when I click on the printer link it states Can't detect file type.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 04:41:31 pm by adam »

arr531

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2016, 12:54:50 am »
Okay guys, I have finally given up the ship on cups - I just cannot get it to work reliably. I have uninstalled the entire package. I just ran out of ideas to try. So I consider this thread closed.

adam

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2016, 07:17:31 am »
Have you considered using RPM/YUM to install CUPS? It's in the experimental repository and Bitwise seems to be handling it and they'd probably be more receptive to bug reports

arr531

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2016, 01:25:35 pm »
I don't know maybe. I will at least look into it but I don't think it would make much of a difference. Like I stated before, I can print using cups through the host machine so there is not a need to do it through OS/2. I will at least take a look at it though. Thanks.

That's a dead-end too. I added the experimental repos to the package manager. It downloaded and installed the cups-libs 2.1.3-3 package fine but when it got to the cups-client 2.1.3-3 packaged it errored out saying there was an error downloading the package. So I am done with it. Maybe I I will wait a month or 2 and try it again but for right now. I am going to leave it be.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 05:57:16 pm by adam »

Pete2

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2016, 01:31:32 pm »
Me again. I uninstalled the WarpIn  cups base, filters and HPLIP packages, then reinstalled from the zip files, leaving the wizard, port and ecups-HP driver in place. I created a printer using the wizard. Test print from the web interface worked on second attempt, and I can print ok from OpenOffice. Make of that what you will.

Pete