Author Topic: One font can hang the system ecs22beta2+updates? Workplace sans normal  (Read 27656 times)

roberto

• View Profile

Since i don't have it, what about dbexpert?

I test in dbexpert this 2 fonts. I send the screen is the same in 2 cases, and the ps show the same. I only test the printer with the wpsu-bitmaps and is = ps.
But with the font wpsu without bit wpsu139size, after restart the system ecs2.0, the desktop show corrupt, a new restat and corrupt.  Apparently os2 inis corrupt.
Restart with a cd ecs2.2beta, and run a chkdsk to boot partion c: jfs, restart and all ok again. I can not ensure that this problem is with the font.
Saludos

muffetta

Restart with a cd ecs2.2beta, and run a chkdsk to boot partion c: jfs, restart and all ok again. I can not ensure that this problem is with the font.
Indeed it should not be strictly related to fonts, since i tested both without any corruption restarting the system, however installing something using unconventional metods is always a risk, sorry, i should have suggest you to check your ini files. The bit font package is the latest (1.000) and should be preferred (the other package is the previous no bit release).
Try using DMT and/or checkini or both until your ini are cleaned.
Let me know if you wanna test also the 1.000 no bit, i'll convert it.
Regards.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 01:31:16 pm by Barbara »

roberto

• View Profile
Apparently os2 inis corrupt.
Restart with a cd ecs2.2beta, and run a chkdsk to boot partion c: jfs, restart and all ok again.

For me, this is a problem in AUTOCHECK in JFS, that in same cases no detected that it have to check the boot-drive.
IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:*
There is any option for force check in all cases the drive c?

Saludos

roberto

• View Profile
Let me know if you wanna test also the 1.000 no bit, i'll convert it.
No problem, all you need.
Saludos

muffetta

There is any option for force check in all cases the drive c?
Maybe /FORCE and /AC, which are HPFS.IFS parameters work also on JFS filesystems (indeed they refer to CHKDSK), so, supposing your boot drive is C, the following statement should always perform a deeply check on C at every startup and an autocheck on other hard disks, E and F:
IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /FORCE /AC:+C /F:3 /AUTOCHECK:EF
Never tryed, let us know.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:39:40 pm by Barbara »

Pete

• View Profile
Hi roberto

When you state "ecs22beta2+updates" does that include JFS 1.09.06 from Arca Noae?

I ask because I had problems with that update which I could only resolve by reverting to the JFS 1.09.05 supplied with eCS2.2beta2

If there is some sort of system crash it is possible that hard drive volumes seem "clean" to jFS autocheck on reboot but if it is possible that the volumes can be "Dirty but marked as Clean"  - I think that is the wording used by chkdsk - so a standard /AUTOCHECK:* will not work.

With JFS 1.09.05 and earlier it is possible to Force a chkdsk at boot by using the parameter /AUTOCHECK:+* for all volumes or specify individual volumes /AUTOCHECK:+D+G

JFS 1.09.06 does not support the /AUTOCHECK:+ parameter so it is not possible to force a chkldsk at boot when using that JFS release.

I also found that JFS 1.09.06 could lose a volume at boot - chkdsk does not report the volumes existence during boot and when booted to the Desktop that volume is missing. Sometimes simply running LVM and Saving when Exiting without making any changes made the volume available; sometimes it needed a reboot.

Regards

Pete

roberto

• View Profile
Hello Barbra
The lates files I send you was made with my work pc, and are made with a Ghostscript 8.71, and the previus files are made with 9.15. If yuo prefer I can repeat it for tomorrow with the other ghostscript.
Saludos

roberto

• View Profile
When you state "ecs22beta2+updates" does that include JFS 1.09.06 from Arca Noae?
I am runnig in 2 pcs, one with this config and another with ecs2.0 + updates.
I ask because I had problems with that update which I could only resolve by reverting to the JFS 1.09.05 supplied with eCS2.2beta2
With jfs 1.09.06 I am running very well.(in my test pc or laptop)

If there is some sort of system crash it is possible that hard drive volumes seem "clean" to jFS autocheck on reboot but if it is possible that the volumes can be "Dirty but marked as Clean"  - I think that is the wording used by chkdsk - so a standard /AUTOCHECK:* will not work.
Yes, I detect this problem in a ecs2.0+updates. Because I do not restore the os2inis, only run a chksdk from CD, and all repair.

With JFS 1.09.05 and earlier it is possible to Force a chkdsk at boot by using the parameter /AUTOCHECK:+* for all volumes or specify individual volumes /AUTOCHECK:+D+G

JFS 1.09.06 does not support the /AUTOCHECK:+ parameter so it is not possible to force a chkldsk at boot when using that JFS release.
Thanks for explain it, this leave my very confused.

I also found that JFS 1.09.06 could lose a volume at boot - chkdsk does not report the volumes existence during boot and when booted to the Desktop that volume is missing. Sometimes simply running LVM and Saving when Exiting without making any changes made the volume available; sometimes it needed a reboot.
I do not see this problem, but in same times, after restart I see that I can not open all the folders in drives, in this case close the system and restart again solve the problem. If this not solve your problem, leave 4 hours off the pc and restart it.

Saludos

muffetta

No problem, all you need.
Saludos
The latest no bit.
Regards

roberto

• View Profile
The latest no bit.
Regards
I include 2 files, you decide. One with text justified right and other justified left. More small, only 2 fonts.

Saludos

roberto

• View Profile

I do not see this problem, but in same times, after restart I see that I can not open all the folders in drives, in this case close the system and restart again solve the problem. If this not solve your problem, leave 4 hours off the pc and restart it.

Two explanations of this, I do not install the DaniS506-1.08.15.exe .But I have installed all other updates.
Before you start working with your computer , open drives in screen,  not a command com, with the mouse . The largest unit with more folders, i have aprox.200 folders, if you open and can move to the end without problems , continuous working , if not restart the computer again to find a correct start . After this simple test, the system is a rock .
This told me someone here , that is only a problem in the beta , which will be resolved in the final version .
saludos

muffetta

I include 2 files, you decide. One with text justified right and other justified left. More small, only 2 fonts.

Saludos
For my personal opinion, the right-justified one looks better, anyway, the font rendering is the same on both. I'll suggest you to use the bit font.
Regards.

roberto

• View Profile

For my personal opinion, the right-justified one looks better, anyway, the font rendering is the same on both. I'll suggest you to use the bit font.
I understand that you need the bit and without bit font?
I include the bit file. I do not send the image that is the same as before send.

Saludos

muffetta

I understand that you need the bit and without bit font?
I include the bit file. I do not send the image that is the same as before send.

Saludos
This is a personal choice, but if you prefer anti-aliasing (which i.e. is enabled on  new web browsers) the bitmap one is more suitable. To the other hand, the non bitmapped release can cause an irregular glyph scaling on some point sizes (scaling which yourself have seen) whitout anti-aliasing, exactly as Alex reported.
Regards.

roberto

• View Profile

This is a personal choice, but if you prefer anti-aliasing (which i.e. is enabled on  new web browsers)
Do not understand what you mean anti-aliasing?

the bitmap one is more suitable. To the other hand, the non bitmapped release can cause an irregular glyph scaling on some point sizes (scaling which yourself have seen) whitout anti-aliasing, exactly as Alex reported.
Regards.
If you have to tell me something, do it as if I were a child of 2 years. I have to translate what you say and I have to understand you. And I do not understand you.

Be patient , we can explore other possibilities:
Using other programs.
Open office org. 411, screen ok, but the file.ps can be bad? the gsview not open. But I think that the ps is ok.
Ibmworks, screen is bad, but this can solved is charge the font in the fontmanager in psprint,(i do not want in firts), this program not cut the text, the text is displace to right. The file.ps is ok.
In Dbexpert, the font helvetica is ok in screen and in ps. (In principle rule out an error in the dbexpert)
Other programs?

Make a scale from largest to smallest size in the text sample.

Saludos