Author Topic: eComStation 2.2 Beta First Impressions  (Read 113301 times)

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: eComStation 2.2 Beta First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2013, 04:07:06 am »
Doug, is there a third version of the DVD? The latest DVD I tried did not install on a T43, with less than deselecting all USB choices. Do we have a new one ? If so..with which version of USB drivers?

I got three different ISO files. The first was pulled, just as I finished downloading it. I read about an update here at OS2WORLD (about the USB driver problem), so I scrapped the first download, and got the second one. Then, there was another notice, which also describes how to tell if you have the good ISO. I didn't have the good one, so I downloaded again (good thing I have lots of bytes, and a fast internet connection). Now, I have the one that checks out.

AFAICT, the shipped USB drivers are the 189 version, which will not run my USB mouse on my Lenovo ThinkPad L530, or on my T510. I need to go back to the 186 version before they work properly.

Now, I have a problem on my IBM ThinkPad T43 (1871-W8M), where the Danis driver will not "see" my disk drive. It was suggested to try the IBM1S506 driver. I did a quick check, just going to the command line, using that option, and I can "see" the disk drive. I don't have the time, at the moment, to try an install using that driver.

Other problems that I see (on the L530) are:

I tried to change the NIC when it was first shown, to the IBMNULL driver, because I know that the realtek Multimac driver has a problem. The change didn't take, so the second boot went part way through (to NETBIND.EXE), and the machine rebooted. I booted to an alternate system, REMed the r8169.OS2 line, in CONFIG.SYS, and Phase 2 completed. It did the same thing for the Phase 3 boot. Again, I had to REM the line in CONFIG.SYS. Then, phase 3 completed. Okay, so what happened? First, i found both REMed lines in CONFIG.SYS, which means that Phase 2, somehow, decided that I really did want the r8169.OS2 line, and put it back in.

After I got eCS 2.2 installed. I used the new MPTS (looks very promising) to change the NIC driver to the RTGNDA driver (which is the only one that works with this NIC, and RTGNDA is NOT included in eCS 2.2). That appeared to go okay, but there are two optional lines required to make the driver work. I had previously modified the NIF file to default those two lines. The old MPTS does it properly. The new MPTS ignored the defaults, and I had to add them to PROTOCOL.INI, manually. It looks like the driver loads okay, but it is not getting the DHCP address. I need to spend more time to figure that out. It works with eCS 2.1. The only difference, that I have seen, so far, is that the old PROTOCOL.INI file is terminated with en EOF, while the new one is not. Adding that did not help.

All of the above have been reported.

I am going to have to install again, on the L530. I thought I had selected the new icons, but they are nowhere to be seen (they did show up on the first attempt, with the bad ISO).  I may wait for another update though. First, to figure out why the NIC on the L530 won't connect. It works fine with eCS 2.1.

djcaetano

« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2013, 01:29:04 pm »
Finally I was able to test this beta on my machine at home (i7 on an Intel DH67CL mainboard). Finally eComStation is able to go beyond the preboot! :)
Unfortunatelly the good news stop there, since as soon as eCS starts loading, USB keyboard and mouse simply stop working. Since this mainboard doesn´t have PS/2 or serial/keyboard ports, I cannot proceed the instalation beyond the graphical shell starts (the Welcome! screen is the last one I was able to see). Problem already reported at bugtracker (I am not the only one... there was already someone with exactly the same problem).
Another thing: I was able to get to this point using Panorama drivers. When I tried SNAP (since this machine has an ATI Radeon X850 PCIe as videoboard, which is supposed to be supported by SNAP in accelerated mode), the boot hangs just after SNAP loading message is shown. Since it seems SNAP is not being actively developed, I don´t know it is worth to post something at eCS bugtracker.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2013, 11:10:02 pm »
Okay, some progress, but some unexplained happenings too. I did a new install to my L530.

I tried to change the NIC when it was first shown, to the IBMNULL driver, because I know that the realtek Multimac driver has a problem.

I have no idea what happened there. I did a new install, and it got it right. I am pretty sure that I selected the IBMNULL NIC driver, because I know that the Multimac driver for the Realtek 8169 does not work with the Realtek 8168 chip that is in the L530. The only one that does, sort of, work is the old RTGNDA driver (which is not included in the eCS 2.2 install).

I had also selected the new icons feature, and it was not installed. This time, it is installed.

That appeared to go okay, but there are two optional lines required to make the driver work. I had previously modified the NIF file to default those two lines. The old MPTS does it properly. The new MPTS ignored the defaults,

Apparently, this is a bug, that will be fixed in the next release.

So, I now have a better install. Now, I am trying to figure out how to get the Drives folder to open drives in the Tree view (actually, I know how to do that), then how to get the Tree view to open directories in the Icon view, as it did before (I know how to do that too).

As noted, I know how to do both, the question is how do I do it globally, without having to change the properties of every drive, and directory, that I have?

I don't mind the new way of displaying data, BUT, if I go to a directory, and select a file that I want to COPY to another directory, I can't do it without opening an icon view in at least one of them. That seems to be an extra step that I shouldn't need to do. I also tried Pickup, and Drop/copy. The WPS hung, and wouldn't restart from CADH (it said that it did restart). I had to reboot.

Anybody else seeing this? Anybody know of a better way to do a copy, or move, using the Split View? Did I miss a setting somewhere?

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2013, 12:31:27 pm »
Finally I was able to test this beta on my machine at home (i7 on an Intel DH67CL mainboard). Finally eComStation is able to go beyond the preboot! :)
Unfortunatelly the good news stop there, since as soon as eCS starts loading, USB keyboard and mouse simply stop working. Since this mainboard doesn´t have PS/2 or serial/keyboard ports, I cannot proceed the instalation beyond the graphical shell starts (the Welcome! screen is the last one I was able to see). Problem already reported at bugtracker (I am not the only one... there was already someone with exactly the same problem).
Another thing: I was able to get to this point using Panorama drivers. When I tried SNAP (since this machine has an ATI Radeon X850 PCIe as videoboard, which is supposed to be supported by SNAP in accelerated mode), the boot hangs just after SNAP loading message is shown. Since it seems SNAP is not being actively developed, I don´t know it is worth to post something at eCS bugtracker.

The USB problem is known and should be easier to trace with the new USB drivers we include.  If the system does not hang you can use (with the proper setup) OS2 trace facility via the PMSHELL.
So I guess the the USB problem should be located without to much difficulty.

As for SNAP. Development is not stopped, SNAP is moved to the  background. Some research has been done however. Just nothing publicly visable!  Its just we moved the priority to other points such as ACPI. I don't claim full functionality. But the new ACPI compared to the 3.18 version has made mayor mayor progress (in my opinion). Also the USB drivers and OS2AHCI needed priority.
While some tickets raised on these topics (USB and OS2AHCI) in general we are in a pretty good shape.  We can consider looking at USB 3.0 when eCS 2.2 is shipped and SNAP.
SNAP BTW has more defects then just MTRR issue's. So rest assured SNAP will get back in the spotlight. But mayor work was needed.

At least so far I have not heard  of any positings about ACPI failing. I know they are out there does systems. But we are in much better shape.

Roderick Klein
Mensys B.V.,

Regards,

Roderick Klein
Mensys B.V.

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2013, 04:20:30 pm »
So, I now have a better install. Now, I am trying to figure out how to get the Drives folder to open drives in the Tree view (actually, I know how to do that), then how to get the Tree view to open directories in the Icon view, as it did before (I know how to do that too).

As noted, I know how to do both, the question is how do I do it globally, without having to change the properties of every drive, and directory, that I have?

The only thing 2.2 does with the split view is to set 'DEFAULTVIEW=SPLIT' on each drive object.  Undoing that should be sufficient.

In other words, just change the 'DEFAULTVIEW=' setup string of each drive object.  All directories on the drive should pick up the change.

I don't mind the new way of displaying data, BUT, if I go to a directory, and select a file that I want to COPY to another directory, I can't do it without opening an icon view in at least one of them. That seems to be an extra step that I shouldn't need to do. I also tried Pickup, and Drop/copy. The WPS hung, and wouldn't restart from CADH (it said that it did restart). I had to reboot.

Anybody else seeing this? Anybody know of a better way to do a copy, or move, using the Split View? Did I miss a setting somewhere?

This is a known issue at the present time.

djcaetano

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2013, 07:08:12 pm »
The USB problem is known and should be easier to trace with the new USB drivers we include.  If the system does not hang you can use (with the proper setup) OS2 trace facility via the PMSHELL.
So I guess the the USB problem should be located without to much difficulty.

Nice. How I can help on that? Is there a way to configure preboot menu to generate such output?
   Since there is no ports besides USB on this machine, I just can do *anything* without USB support. So, once eCS starts loading, only the reset and power-off buttons are functional. No keyboard, no mice... nothing.

As for SNAP. Development is not stopped, SNAP is moved to the  background. Some research has been done however. Just nothing publicly visable!  Its just we moved the priority to other points such as ACPI. I don't claim full functionality. But the new ACPI compared to the 3.18 version has made mayor mayor progress (in my opinion). Also the USB drivers and OS2AHCI needed priority.
While some tickets raised on these topics (USB and OS2AHCI) in general we are in a pretty good shape.  We can consider looking at USB 3.0 when eCS 2.2 is shipped and SNAP.
SNAP BTW has more defects then just MTRR issue's. So rest assured SNAP will get back in the spotlight. But mayor work was needed.

Nice to hear that.

At least so far I have not heard  of any positings about ACPI failing. I know they are out there does systems. But we are in much better shape.

Yes, and I thank you (and Mensys crew) for that. :)

Regards!

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2013, 03:11:52 am »
In other words, just change the 'DEFAULTVIEW=' setup string of each drive object.  All directories on the drive should pick up the change.

I can find nothing that says DEFAULTVIEW=, in each drive object. Care to be a little more specific? Where do I look?

If you mean the Default action, in the Open As menu, yes, I can set that to Tree View, but then every directory also tries to open in Tree View, when they used to open in Icon View (which is usually what I want). I can change each directory to open in Icon view, but it could take days to change all of them.

There is also inconsistent operation, if I leave it at Split View. If I open a directory created by the SAMBA client, it opens in Tree View, not Split View. This could be very confusing for those who don't know what is happening.

This is a known issue at the present time.

Okay. If that is the case, I would suggest that Split View should not be the default setting.

At least so far I have not heard  of any positings about ACPI failing.

ACPI, OS2AHCI, and Panorama, are working great. Thanks to all involved. It would be even better if Panorama would allow Doodle's Screen Saver to power off the screen automatically (especially on laptops), but that isn't essential.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2013, 02:04:13 pm »
Hi.

I had been having problems installing eCS 2.2 Beta.

Thinkpad R51 (1830-PSO)
On this older Thinkpad, (on which eCS 2.1 keeps installing without problems)  the installation procedure does not longer want to recognize the HDD. I had tried disabling, AHCI, ACPI, and moving from Danis to IBMs. But I can not make the installer recognize the HDD.

I'm locked on the third screen (Installation Type) on which the installer is making a new HDD validation before selecting easy or advanced installation.

Thinkpad L420 (7856-3WS)
On this newer Thinkpad the trackpoint and trackpad is not recognized on the installer. But now with a new twist, it seems that the keyboard get disconnected after sometime and I can not finish the installation process with the keyboard. The external USB mouse is not working during installation. I will keep trying with this one.

DougB, did you have some similar problems with the trackpoint/pad on your Thinkpad. Do you have a pointer to the USB drivers you are using?
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

muffetta

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2013, 02:28:07 pm »
Hi Martin,
About R51, it seems the same problem i had on my Thinkpad T23  (no hard disk detected and the 2 disk to fix, and try fix cause only reboot and loop).  I solved deselecting in pre-boot menu the check disk function, setting the first hd control to danis506 without parameters and none for the second hd control, verifing all end-phases using the Maintenance console. Using those expedients, i was able to insall eCS 2.2 beta on my T23.
I hope this can help you and others.

muffetta

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2013, 03:07:04 pm »
Seem also that danis506 does not load always (like on my desktop, ASUS K7V De Luxe), in this case you shoud use the classic ibm506.add without parameters. and change after into danis.
No ahci controller at the moment. Overall the sistem (T23 for now) seems faster than previous (2.1), great work for flash, more stable and fluid, i prefer snap video driver and uniaud rc4 from hobbes seems the only drive able to getting the Intel 82801CA-ICH3 CS4299 works quite well. A strange beep never heard before, starting the wps, and equal to the beep which crash sometimes the program "Imagination" (from ecosoftware) if you open a folder of mages and you are using the preview function, causing the wps reset.
Considering still in beta, a great job.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2013, 04:26:32 pm »
Hi Barbara.

I'm a little bit lost, on which part of the "eComStation Boot Options Menu" is the one to disable "check disk function" ?
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2013, 05:23:47 pm »
DougB, did you have some similar problems with the trackpoint/pad on your Thinkpad. Do you have a pointer to the USB drivers you are using?

I keep the touchpad disabled, when that is possible. In my Lenovo ThinkPad L530, there is no such option in the BIOS. The windows driver will do it, but that doesn't carry over to eCS. At the moment, I have a piece of cardboard taped over the touchpad to keep my hands off of it. The Trackpoint has always worked with eCS 2.2, using the AMouse driver. My external USB wireless mouse will work fine, after I get the USB drivers back to the 186 version. I think the version in eCS 2.2 is 189, and that doesn't work with the USB mouse (even a wired one).  I got 186 from HOBBES, but it seems to be gone from there. Lars E. has posted elsewhere, that he will probably go back to the 186 version, if he can't figure out what is wrong. I should note here, that the L530, and my T510, only have EHCI adapters, they do NOT have OHCI, or UHCI, adapters. The mouse problem seems to exist only when an EHCI controller is supposed to handle the mouse.

the installation procedure does not longer want to recognize the HDD

I have that problem on my IBM ThinkPad T43 (1871-W8M). It looks, to me, like the included Danis driver is badly broken. I haven't checked it out, but it acts exactly like the Danis driver for the DEMO CD, which is not supposed to be able to access the hard disk. It was suggested to try the IBM1S506 driver. I was able to go to the command line using that, so I expect that it will work, when I find the time to try an install (I may just wait for the next beta, which had better fix the problem).

To be quite frank, I don't see how anybody could have ever tried the included Danis driver, and got an install off the ground. Installation, using the OS2AHCI driver seems to be okay, but I had a few odd things happen (or not happen) on one of my attempts on my L530.

It needs work, and it needs wider testing, before they even call it a beta. Some of the new things should be optional, not default (SPLIT-VIEW), until they are deemed to be worthy of making them the default.

I am also undecided about the new icons. Every time I look at the Drives icon, it looks like a toilet bowl. The others seem to be a bit "washed out", and generally, they are all blue, which may be part of the "washed out" problem, when they are on the default blue background.

I have also had to report, again, problems that I reported in eCS 2.0, and 2.1, which were supposedly fixed. They are very minor, but errors are errors, and they should be fixed.

BTW, for those of you who have SMP machines, if you use EXECMODE.EXE with the sp parameter, on REGEDIT2.EXE (the registry editor), searches in REGEDIT2 will be very much faster.

It seems that quality control is not a high priority at Mensys. Too bad, because that seems to be creating a LOT of extra work for them, and it is creating frustration for their users.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2013, 05:36:10 pm »
It is looking very strange at my side.

With the same burned DVD, on the old Thinkpad R51 I can load LVM.

On the Thinkpad L420 I get errors that LVM is not on the system.

I'm re-burning the DVD again, just in case.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:43:07 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2013, 05:38:59 pm »
Thanks DougB.

I think I found part of my problem with the mouse.

It is behaving strange, but since it is a  dual boot machine, it seems that Windows (or something else) is doing something to the mouse.  If I access the BIOS, do not change anything, and save and exit the mouse starts working.

http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=3333

Regards.
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2013, 07:56:59 pm »
Hi Doug

Setting a drive view can be a problem - I find it best left blank which seems to default to opening in Tree View with directories opening in Icon View.

I did make the mistake of setting a drive view - once.

To recover I added an "Open as" option of "no view" with "e.exe" as the program to the drive Properties, Menu Page, Actions on menu ~Open as. I then selected that as the Default and shut the Properties notebook. I then reopened the notebook and deleted the no view option, did not select any other Default view and closed the notebook.

The drive then opened in Tree View with directories opening in Icon view.

Regards

Pete