OS/2, eCS & ArcaOS - Technical > Communication

configure the D-Link DIR-506L wireless access point- SOLVED

<< < (2/4) > >>

roberto:

--- Quote from: Richard Crowley on April 01, 2016, 06:03:10 pm ---I don't know if the 506L counts as a wireless adapter or an ethernet connection (since I connect it to my computer's ethernet port. I don't know which internet connection app is the correct one to use

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure I follow .
I do not know
a-if you want to connect the pc with a cable to the router and the wifi506L to connect to another Wi-Fi.
b-Or you want to connect your pc via wifi to your router506L

Saludos

Rich442:

--- Quote from: roberto on April 02, 2016, 10:45:48 pm ---
I don't know if the 506L counts as a wireless adapter or an ethernet connection (since I connect it to my computer's ethernet port. I don't know which internet connection app is the correct one to use

--- End quote ---
I'm not sure I follow .
I do not know
a-if you want to connect the pc with a cable to the router and the wifi506L to connect to another Wi-Fi.
plug the device into my ethernet port so that it will effectively be like an ethernet connection.
--- Quote ---os2 warp <dot> belgium
--- End quote ---
http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=wifi2#4.5 says it like this:

--- Quote ---there are Eicon DSL-routers that also allow this kind of configuration. Normally, these devices should act as a DHCP server.

Just plug them into your Ethernet port, configure the port to be a DHCP client, and reboot.
--- End quote ---

What I want to do is  connect my 506L to my computer's ethernet port (with a ethernet cable)

--- Quote ---b-Or you want to connect your pc via wifi to your router506
--- End quote ---

I wish to connect my 506L to my ethernet port so that it will connect with my existing network as though it were just like a wired connection. I hope this "picture" will help.

[IBM M52 Thinkcentre ethernet port]<---->[ethernet cable]<---->[506L access point ethernet port]<~~~~>[connect to home wifi network]

Thank you all for your responses. :)

ivan:
Richard, the D-Link unit is overkill for what you want. It is also a so and so to setup since it requires a wireless enabled computer to start with.

We have been using the IOGEAR GWU 627 ethernet to WiFi adapters for some of our clients that have non WiFi enabled OS/2 laptops and wvensome that have a wireless card but there are no OS/2 drivers for it.

These units are easy to setup and once working it is just a matter of plugging in the ethernet and usb (for power) cables.

http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-GWU627/dp/B004UAKCS6

roberto:

--- Quote from: Richard Crowley on April 02, 2016, 11:53:48 pm ---
[IBM M52 Thinkcentre ethernet port]<---->[ethernet cable]<---->[506L access point ethernet port]<~~~~>[connect to home wifi network]

--- End quote ---
The first is to install the driver for your net ethernet card,
in a command com os2,
ping 127.0.0.1
return a similar to this:
[C:\]ping 127.0.0.1
PING 127.0.0.1: 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0. time=0. ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1. time=0. ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2. time=0. ms

----127.0.0.1 PING Statistics----
3 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip (ms)  min/avg/max = 0/0/0

push ctrl+c

If you have this ok, you have the driver for ethernet ok.
otherwise, a command- com OS2 , write MPTS and push intro
Select you network adapter, protocol and comunications.
save and run the ping 127.... again.

after that you have to configure tcpip (this need another explain)
wait for your comments.
Saludos

Doug Bissett:

--- Quote ---Richard, the D-Link unit is overkill for what you want. It is also a so and so to setup since it requires a wireless enabled computer to start with.
--- End quote ---

It may be overkill, but it works, and it is very handy for other things. It does not require a wireless computer to start with. It can be configured through the wired connection. It does get tricky when it is in Repeater mode (required for what the OP wants to do) because the IP address is not easy to find in OS/2 (it is easy in windows).

--- Quote ---ping 127.0.0.1
--- End quote ---

What has that got to do with ethernet? That is the localhost address.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version