Author Topic: Installing NFS  (Read 8746 times)

karotlopj

Installing NFS
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:38:01 pm »
I'm not having any success installing NFS, and hope someone could point out where I'm going wrong...

I have managed to install WSeB CP2 on an IBM ThinkPad T41p - not a smooth operation, at all, especially since the installation does not contain drivers for the Intel Gigabit NIC (E1000.NIF)....

Going into  Selective Install for Networking (can't remember where it is at the moment) it lists TCP/IP as one of the options and it has a More option from which you can select various components. NFS is displayed as one of the options. I have selected it numerous times but NFS has failed to install.

On the CD there is a directory

\cid\server\tcpapps\install

which contains the nfsos2 directory but there is no such program as nfsinst, so have no idea how to install it manually.

Any suggestions?

Alex Taylor

• View Profile
Re: Installing NFS
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 06:44:14 pm »
This is a Feature Install package, so it might require Netscape 4.61 to install.

Alternatively, you could try a manual object-based install:
  • Run "CLIFI /A:T" from a command line to create an empty Install Object on the desktop
  • Right-click the Install Object, choose Response file -> Read and select TCPINST.RSP from the \cid\server\tcpapps\install directory.
  • Open the newly-renamed TCPINST object and delelect everything except NFSIcon and Uinstal.
  • Click Install and cross your fingers.

This will put all the files on your boot drive.  If you need to change the target directory a few other steps are needed.  You may also find your desktop gets rearranged.  I have not tested this so be warned.

karotlopj

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 08:45:53 pm »
Thanks Alex,

It's good to see you still around...

As it happens I needed to do a reboot after installing Workspace On-Demand and when the system came back up the NFS client was being started so I don't know what happened, but it's nice to be able to mount shares on my FreeNAS box over NFS.

I'd like to know what happened to the option for 'Selective Install for Networking' which seems to have disappeared.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 09:40:27 pm »
Just as a note of caution about the NFS client build into OS/2. It seems it was only really tested with NFS servers from IBM (maybe on AIX).
If you do get kernel traps (crashed), this is a known issue.  More people have reported get traps when browsing NFS shares with the Workplace shell.
If it works, bingo. If you get crashed you could consider using the NFS client plugin that you can use with Netdrive.

Roderick Klein