Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hardware / Re: Display-port and HDMI
« Last post by Eugene Tucker on Today at 12:52:13 pm »
Thank you to all for your responses I will be experimenting with my system.
Multimedia / Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Last post by David McKenna on Today at 12:11:01 pm »
 Thanks Paul! This one still works with the Realtek sound jack, but no HDMI - testlog attached. I assume unimix -card should show 2 adapters present if HDMI works?

Regards,
Utilities / Re: Backup solutions
« Last post by Andi B. on Today at 09:29:20 am »
LuckyBackup (frontend for rsync) for syncing to other backup drives. Sometimes I even use the 'keep the last xx changed file versions' LuckyBackup offers.

RAR for daily backup of changed files. With RAR there is no problem with >2GB files and I can split the backup files to <2GB chunks. I've packed the parameters in a .cmd (including attrib -a -s) and use the "Terminplaner" properties tab (Scheduler? don't know how it is called in EN versions). Think this comes with Rich Drag Text package. 

ZIP usually for backing up the boot partitions. ZIP is way faster than RAR and my boot partitions are always <2GB.
« Last post by Roderick Klein on Today at 09:23:21 am »
Some years ago, I played with HDMI, and Display Port, on my Lenovo ThinkPad T510, and L530. I don't recall having any video problems using a TV as a screen. You do need to know how to switch, using the Fn key combination, and that probably needs to be done BEFORE starting to boot OS/2.

Some laptops in the BIOS still support this functionality to use the Fn keys to switch to the external display port when the ArcaOS has not yet started.

Note that on systems booted in UEFI mode this functionality is gone. Its not part of the UEFI specs best I can tell!

And you will need with UEFI boot a video driver that talks to the video chipset directly to be able to switch.

Roderick
« Last post by Andi B. on Today at 09:16:31 am »
DisplayPort works and is preferred.

But as usual with OS/2 it depends on what the BIOS offers. I talk about Panorama as SNAP only supports very old hardware. Usually the BIOS scans on which connector which monitor is attached and makes some decisions. Means if you have a monitor attached on DisplayPort it uses it. If you have a monitor attached at HDMI BIOS uses it. If there are monitors attached to both interfaces usually DP is preferred. There are also some settings in BIOS which affect which interface should be preferred and used. This is all done long before any driver (gengradd) is involved. So boot up (cold boot) after all cables are in place. Don't expect switching between interfaces on the fly with CTRL-ALT-DEL only.

Usually DisplayPort supports all resolutions while on older systems HDMI is not able to support f.i. 4k/60Hz even when the graphic chip can do it.

Another question is - will the BIOS offer the capabilities it detects from the interface, the monitor and the graphic chip in a form Panorama can use it? It depends. I've a system with build in Intel graphic and DP, HDMI and analog interfaces. It can handle 4k / 60Hz on DP and Win can use it. On HDMI only 4k / 30Hz is possible as HDMI at that time could not handle the necessary bandwidth and the BIOS knew this. Of course these modes work in Win. But the BIOS does not offer these capabilities in a form Panorama can use it. No more than WQHD was possible. So I had to install a PCIe graphic card with an integrated BIOS which does it right. DP works fine on this.
Multimedia / Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Last post by Paul Smedley on Today at 08:07:42 am »
« Last post by Doug Bissett on Today at 08:06:52 am »
Some years ago, I played with HDMI, and Display Port, on my Lenovo ThinkPad T510, and L530. I don't recall having any video problems using a TV as a screen. You do need to know how to switch, using the Fn key combination, and that probably needs to be done BEFORE starting to boot OS/2.
« Last post by Doug Bissett on Today at 07:55:15 am »
I ZIP whole drives, then RSYNC those ZIP files to other places (NAS, USB). A typical ZIP command is:
Code: [Select]
if exist CDRIVE.ZIP DEL CDRIVE.ZIP
zip.exe -9yrS CDRIVE.ZIP C:\* -x@exclude.list 2>&1 | tee.exe CDRIVE.LOG
The file exclude.list contains a list of files that I don't need to back up. The ZIP file, and the log file, go into the current (Working) directory.
Applications / Re: Updated RPMs - big release chunk...
« Last post by Dave Yeo on Today at 06:02:36 am »
The next version of ANPM should work with python3.
« Last post by Dave Yeo on Today at 06:00:16 am »
I simply use a script containing,
Code: [Select]
rsync.exe -a --links --stats --progress --no-perms --delete --log-file=C:/rsync/C_USB.LOG C:/ j:/cdrive/
simple and works. J: is a USB drive
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10