Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Programming / Re: Desktop Apps from JavaScript - Electron?
« Last post by jailbird on Today at 02:28:42 am »
Dooble is Chromium based, so Blink or Webkit and V8 are available. What we would need is a framework. Looking quickly I don't see what

Duh, brainfart. I knew it used Qt WebEngine, I just forgot that Qt WebEngine switched from WebKit to Blink. Teach me for replying before my morning caffeine, sorry!
« Last post by Dave Yeo on May 18, 2022, 11:59:05 pm »
As far as I'm aware, Electron uses Blink & V8, which are the Chromium/Chrome rendering engine and JavaScript VM.

So it would basically require porting Chromium to OS/2 :(.

Dooble is Chromium based, so Blink or Webkit and V8 are available. What we would need is a framework. Looking quickly I don't see what Electron uses but I'd guess GTK.
Actually it seems to be its own framework. I see on Linux it does use GTK but a quick search doesn't show a QT version.
The equivalent under QT seems to be nodegui, [ur]lhttps://github.com/nodegui/nodegui[/url] seems to use Mesa on Linux so 3D graphics probably needed or more porting.
Games / Re: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support
« Last post by Mark Szkolnicki on May 18, 2022, 10:29:11 pm »
Just installed your new gamepad driver set (gamepad-20220511) and have ran into a problem in DOSBOX in Wolfenstein.

Start-up is fine and runs through the start-up screens (3) as per normal, but then the game immediately shows the messages for ending or continuing the program, where the response Y or N is required. Typing N simply goes to an alternate version of the same shutdown challenge. Typing Y ends the program.
When I implemented the missing functions I made a mistake. This resulted into all 4 buttons being signalled as being pressed on startup. Fixed now.

Hat functions on the Thrustmaster joysticks still not being recognized under DOSBOX
Perhaps I made another mistake. I did some experimenting and failed to change some values back the way these were before. Try the attached version.

Like before you need to copy *.sym and *.sys files to \OS2\MDOS and copy TRC00E8.TFF to \OS2\SYSTEM\TRACE and then reboot your system.

Wim.

gamepad-20220517 did indeed clear up the problem with Wolfenstein under DOSBOX - the hat functions still don't work with either of the Joysticks, when tested under TMScope, and aren't also recognized running Comanche 2 under DOSBOX.

Both work fine on TMScope running under a DOS VDM, including the hat functions.

I now have Mechwarrior 2 working correctly under DOSBOX so will also try running some training missions there, with the joysticks. I also am hoping to try Makman when I have some time to download it, and take a little more time with Trials of Battle under native ArcaOS to see if I can describe exactly what the problem is I'm seeing - perhaps someone has a clue as to what may be done to get that working for testing purposes.

Best!

Mark

M
« Last post by Mark Szkolnicki on May 18, 2022, 10:17:10 pm »
Hi Martin!

Unfortunately, there seems to be little in the way of native OS/2 derived items to test and Best!

In other words, do we need something like "JoystickTestUtils_1998-04-01.zip" but instead of DOS, for OS/2 native?

Regards

I doubt such a utility exists, but it would be useful.

We now have connections between the game controllers (pads and joysticks) and DOS VDM's and games running under DOSBOX, so we certainly have proof of concept there - I doubt having these drivers are going to get anyone to start developing interesting complex games native for ArcaOS / eCS / OS/2 - but perhaps there are ports from Linux of originally Windows based games which may be able to get to run natively under this operating system.

The DOS based games have been a good test, as a plethora of them exist right now, which can be tested right "out of the box", literally - porting complex games I suspect is a lot more onerous process.

That why I wanted to test Makman - if a joystick is recognized there, at least we know a connection exists, joystick wise, natively - I may try Trials of Battle again, for interests sake as well.

M
« Last post by jailbird on May 18, 2022, 08:25:42 pm »
As far as I'm aware, Electron uses Blink & V8, which are the Chromium/Chrome rendering engine and JavaScript VM.

So it would basically require porting Chromium to OS/2 :(.
Applications / Re: Test build of dooble with qt5
« Last post by Dave Yeo on May 18, 2022, 04:22:25 pm »
Hi,

I defined  https://duckduckgo.com/  as my home page
After system reboot and starting Dooble, its look loading the page but nothing is displaied (blank page)
I load an other web page and then back to duckduckgo home page and this time, it display the page as it should !
Tried several times (closed/started dooble) and same issue each time !

What could be the culprit ?
Thx

It's a bug that everyone seems to experience. There's an issue already open.
Programming / Desktop Apps from JavaScript - Electron?
« Last post by Martin Iturbide on May 18, 2022, 02:32:24 pm »
Hi

As a theoretical exercise I want to know what would be required to port some javascript applications to run as desktop applications.

I will like to see Element, a Matrix chat tool, running as a desktop application. Currently Element is running on Dooble (You can test it here), so my guess is that we already have several of the libraries that it uses ported to OS/2.

But what is needed to have the "desktop" version of Element running on OS/2 as stand alone?
It seems that part of the trick is Electron ("If you can build a website, you can build a desktop app.")
It is needed for Electron to be ported? Is it some kind of compiler that will interpret Javascript to a desktop OS/2 app? Is it portable to OS/2 or we miss more things?

Regards
« Last post by Martin Iturbide on May 18, 2022, 02:06:36 pm »
Unfortunately, there seems to be little in the way of native OS/2 derived items to test and Best!

In other words, do we need something like "JoystickTestUtils_1998-04-01.zip" but instead of DOS, for OS/2 native?

Regards
« Last post by Remy on May 18, 2022, 12:54:59 pm »
I would track a shipping number and got a message about javascript and meta-refresh not supported etc....
After using home page and then trying again the link, it works....

It seems javascript or other supported code issues exist under Dooble
Link I tried (stop/start dooble and then try the link from link field)
https://elogistics.dachser.com/shpdl/ShpDirectlinkPage?16&l=fr_FR&c=18&n=00000000000000

Rem: tracking number set to 0 for the test.
« Last post by Remy on May 18, 2022, 09:51:45 am »
Hi,

I defined  https://duckduckgo.com/  as my home page
After system reboot and starting Dooble, its look loading the page but nothing is displaied (blank page)
I load an other web page and then back to duckduckgo home page and this time, it display the page as it should !
Tried several times (closed/started dooble) and same issue each time !

What could be the culprit ?
Thx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10