Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Programming / Re: getting a single keypress?
« Last post by Lars on Today at 07:26:45 am »
And why can't you use the standard RTL function "getchar"? Is that not available?
Games / Re: DOS VDM - USB and Game port Gamepad support
« Last post by Mark Szkolnicki on Today at 04:26:01 am »

I'm actually running tests on a tower, with an AMD hexcore processor and 3 Gb of usable memory installed (actually 8 GB in the system, but ArcaOS is not seeing the rest). Occasionally after installing the gamepad package previous to 2022-05-17 and with the current one, I've gotten a black screen trap, attempting to start a game with one of the xevents packages active.

I've attached a photo of the trap screen, if it is of any help - I have not determined a particular reason why it happens at the moment as I've only seen it four times and Best!

Hi Mark, that is a weird trap as it is a breakpoint, probably code that should never be reached and perhaps worth opening an issue with Arca Noae, especially if you could get a system dump of it. Unluckily if it is only occasionally trapping, it'll be hard to get a good dump as rally you should lower your memory, 3GB dump is big.

Heh Dave!

As I have not seen a lot of it, other than in this thread, I think I would give it a miss - if I can find a reason for it that would affect everyone I certainly would report it, if it is the system and not what we are testing - I think I would like to know why first and a fine weekend, as always!

M
« Last post by Dave Yeo on Today at 03:45:54 am »
Yea, I'm not a C coder either. This is the code we ended up with, modded to also show the hex value,
Code: [Select]
#define INCL_KBD
#define INCL_DOSPROCESS
#include <os2.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <sys/select.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <termios.h>

int term_fd = -1;

int get_key(int do_delay, char *val)
{
KBDKEYINFO key;
key.chChar = 0;
key.chScan = 0;
// optionally: sleep for a tiny bit
        DosSleep(5);
if(!KbdCharIn(&key,IO_NOWAIT,0) && key.chChar)
{
*val = key.chChar;
return 1;
}
return 0;
}

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
if(argc >= 2)
term_fd = open("CON:", O_RDONLY);
else
term_fd = STDIN_FILENO;
if(term_fd < 0)
{
perror("failure opening terminal input");
return 1;
}
fprintf(stderr, "terminal fd: %d\n", term_fd);

struct termios old_tio;
int termsetup = 0;
if(!tcgetattr(term_fd, &old_tio))
{
fprintf(stderr, "proper terminal setup\n");
struct termios tio = old_tio;
tio.c_lflag &= ~(ICANON|ECHO);
tio.c_cc[VMIN] = 1;
tio.c_cc[VTIME] = 0;
tcsetattr(term_fd,TCSANOW,&tio);
termsetup = 1;
}

char val = 0;
while(val != 'q')
{
if(get_key(1, &val))
fprintf(stderr, "got key: %c %x\n", val, val);
}

if(termsetup)
tcsetattr(term_fd,TCSAFLUSH,&old_tio);
if(term_fd > 0)
close(term_fd);
return 0;
}
Only problem is that it gets a scan code first, which is ignored. Executable attached.
[/code]
« Last post by Pete on Today at 02:11:45 am »
Hi Dave

Not really a "c" coder myself but this does not look right

int get_key(int do_delay, char *val)
{
   int n = select(term_fd+1,&r,NULL,NULL,&t);
   if(n > 0 && FD_ISSET(term_fd,&r) && read(term_fd,val,1) == 1)
      return 1;
   return 0;
}

I would expect an If/Else statement:-

if(n > 0 && FD_ISSET(term_fd,&r) && read(term_fd,val,1) == 1)
      return 1
           else
           return 0;
}

As I said I am not a "c" coder...

Regards

Pete

« Last post by Dave Yeo on Today at 12:57:02 am »

I'm actually running tests on a tower, with an AMD hexcore processor and 3 Gb of usable memory installed (actually 8 GB in the system, but ArcaOS is not seeing the rest). Occasionally after installing the gamepad package previous to 2022-05-17 and with the current one, I've gotten a black screen trap, attempting to start a game with one of the xevents packages active.

I've attached a photo of the trap screen, if it is of any help - I have not determined a particular reason why it happens at the moment as I've only seen it four times and Best!

Hi Mark, that is a weird trap as it is a breakpoint, probably code that should never be reached and perhaps worth opening an issue with Arca Noae, especially if you could get a system dump of it. Unluckily if it is only occasionally trapping, it'll be hard to get a good dump as rally you should lower your memory, 3GB dump is big.
« Last post by Mark Szkolnicki on May 20, 2022, 11:11:07 pm »
Hi Wim!

Have guests tonight, but just finished cooking the menu with 3 hours to spare, so did get a chance to test both joysticks here under TMScope, both DOS VDM and DOSBOX, using the RAW_DATA provided:

I tested each three times, doing Recal TMS each time between each test and got the following RAW_DATA, DOS VDM TMScope vs TMScope under DOSBOX:

Mk2 Thrustmaster (using xevents, last edit)

DOS VDM                                  DOSBOX

Min         Centre        Max           Min         Centre        Max

X1             4              75           146             5              92            205
                 4              76           146             6              92            207   
                 4              77           146             6              92            207
Y1             5              87           145             6             103          182
                 4              87           143             6              97           182
                 6              90           143             6             100          182

Moving the Joystick to the south (Y1) in the DOS VDM, it would only go 4 notches of 7 in that direction with the output above - this has been the same since we started testing using this program - EDIT: just did this test under DOSBOX - went five notches south of 7. Otherwise full travel in the other directions.

T. Flight (using xeventsf1d)

DOS VDM                                    DOSBOX

Min         Centre        Max           Min         Centre        Max

X1           1              129           256             5             123           234
               1              129           256             6             123           234
               1              131           256             6             124           234

Y1           1              129          256             6              124           233
               1              129          256             6              124           234
               1              129          256             6              124           234

In the case of the DOSBOX TMScope X1 showed the data above moving 6 notches of 7 east. Y1 showed the data above moving 6 notches of 7 south. Otherwise full travel on the display in the other directions.

All done under the latest gamepad. Don't know if that provides anything useful but thought I'd add it to the mix and Best!

M
« Last post by Wim Brul on May 20, 2022, 09:47:19 pm »
Hallo Jochen,
What would be the correct algorithm? Since we have the code, we could fix that. Most likely the code in SDL2 is also wrong, because it is a straight port of the SDL1 code.
I think that my proposed algorithm is the correct algorithm. See my original post.

First the calculation of the offset, scale1 and scale2:
offset = axis_center
scale1 = SDL_JOYSTICK_AXIS_MIN / (axis_lower - axis_center)
scale2 = SDL_JOYSTICK_AXIS_MAX / (axis_upper - axis_center)

Followed by the recalculation for all axes:
if (axis < axis_center)
then axis = (axis - offset) * scale1
else axis = (axis - offset) * scale2

This has of course to be substituted in SDL_os2joystick.c at the right places. Too difficult for me to do.

Cheers,
Wim.
Networking / Re: No files in network folders workplace shell
« Last post by Neil Waldhauer on May 20, 2022, 08:15:31 pm »
I've been using Samba client for browsing other computers.

But if it works in command line, but not in the Workplace shell, you might look at the folder properties Include tab and see if WPS is hiding files from you.
« Last post by Mark Szkolnicki on May 20, 2022, 06:25:34 pm »
Hi Wim!

Hi Mark and Jochen,

Running TMScope in DOSBox and VDM gives different results. This occurs because DOSBox obtains calibration values from gamedd.sys and recalculates axes values whereas with VDM no such calculations occur. Unfortunately the recalculation algorithm in SDL_os2joystick is horribly wrong. It is so wrong that it even hangs my laptop when proper calibration values (lower=0, center=128. upper=255 for axes ranging from 0 to 255) are being used. And that is eactly the range of axes values that are currently used. The reason it still works, sort of, is that in gamepad-20220517 calibration values lower=(7*128)/10, center=128+25, upper=(13*128)/10 are being used. That is after my tweaking. Before that center=128 was used which gave even worse readings in TMScope in DOSBox.

My proposed algorithm in rexx code form is as follows:

/* proposed algorithm SDL-DOSBox */
SDL_JOYSTICK_AXIS_MAX = +32767
SDL_JOYSTICK_AXIS_MIN = -32768

/* calibration values */
axis_lower = 0
axis_center = 128
axis_upper = 255

/* preparation */
offset = axis_center
scale1 = SDL_JOYSTICK_AXIS_MIN / (axis_lower - axis_center)
scale2 = SDL_JOYSTICK_AXIS_MAX / (axis_upper - axis_center)

/* apply input values and show output values */
do axis = axis_lower to axis_upper
  if (axis < axis_center)
  /* recalculate axis value */
  then value = (axis - offset) * scale1
  /* show axis input and output values */
  else value = (axis - offset) * scale2
  say axis value
end

Best regards,
Wim.

Interesting, Wim 

I actually find that whatever your doing is working for my joysticks, jury rig or no - I was playing Wolfenstein under DOSBOX for 2 hours last night, switching Joysticks half way, and no loss of focus, or joystick problems at all - however in comparison to the more complex games where more controls are required, it is really a simple test.

Personally I've not noted any TMScope problems under DOSBOX other than hat function, but I take your word for it, not being a programmer that the algorithms could be a mess. I should have a look more closely at the RAW_DATA screen being generated here for my sticks and send you the travel data for both joysticks.

After your explanation above I wanted to add another data point for you into the mix.

As mentioned I did get Mechwarrior 2 running under DOSBOX - it is a very difficult program to set up under a DOS VDM so it is hard to install it there for comparison purposes. (one of the reasons I use DOSBOX is that things just work almost immediately, complex or no.

The data point I wanted to relate was a comparison between the last xevents which we created for the old Mk II Thrustmaster amd xeventsf1d, which I'm using to run the T.Flight.

Running the training missions (there are four in the game), the older Thrustmaster performs beautifully - stable movement, crisp response on the movement and buttons - no hat functions, but we know about that.

Using the newer xeventsf1d and the T. Flight, sitting in place is quite jittery even after re-calibrating the joystick - controls work but you do see on movement the jitter effect, requiring a fair amount of course correction, which I do not need to do with the older joystick with the older xevents.

I don't know if you think that has any significance, Wim or whether it may be simply that the newer Joystick is more sensitive and has faster response. Is there much difference in the two command files, now, after your modifications? I was thinking of modifying the newer f1d file for use with the older joystick and testing that out - would that be easily feasible?

I should mention also that I chose Mechwarrior 2 as a new advanced test program as it actually has support for the Thrustmaster Mk 2 built in, and the T.Flight seems in other games to follow along nicely with testing of the older Thrustmaster in other games.

I'm almost tempted to see if I can find another of the T.Flight Thrustmasters and ship it to you for testing yourself - I found mine on eBay for a good price - new here they run about $95.00 Cnd - got mine for around $35.00 Cnd used.

I was also curious as to what happens when you get the lock on your laptop?

M

« Last post by Jochen Schäfer on May 20, 2022, 04:41:20 pm »
Hi Wim.

What would be the correct algorithm? Since we have the code, we could fix that. Most likely the code in SDL2 is also wrong, because it is a straight port of the SDL1 code.

Bye Jochen
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10