Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Hardware / Re: The last nail in OS/2's coffin
« Last post by Edmund Wong on March 21, 2024, 06:47:39 am »
Hi All

I have to join in to say that I have been looking for a replacement OS since IBM announced OS/2's demise in 2000(?) and have not found anything that I am as happy to use.

The main problem I am currently bumping into is the same as everyone else: We do not have a capable browser. Seamonkey (and, I guess, Firefox) no longer work very well - if at all - on a lot of websites; Doodle (qt5) is simply too flaky to use due to crashes and system hangs.

Thanks to all who have kept OS/2 alive to date.

Regards

Pete

It's not just the OS/2 version of SeaMonkey is having issues with websites.  The windows version (2.53.18.x) is becoming a continual chore as websites no longer work properly.     

I don't know much about all this hardware talk(I'm only a user); but I'm guessing it'd take a huge dev group to 'modernize' OS/2.  Having a 64bit OS/2 system would be nice; but since from what I'm seeing in this thread,  the number of people that can actually do that is slowly decreasing by the year.  Am I right?   Is it possible to even modernize the OS/2 code or does it require a rewrite? 

Ed

General Discussion / Re: Team OS/2
« Last post by Edmund Wong on March 21, 2024, 05:55:01 am »
Hello Edmund

Here I have this wiki page where I tried list the different online community that are active now according to the technology they use to communicate:
- https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php?title=Where_is_the_OS/2_Community%3F_Where_is_the_action%3F

Regards

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the links.  I did join the facebook groups and will try the libera.chat groups.

Ed
Networking / Re: RDP Client that has send-key functionality
« Last post by david.l.hart on March 21, 2024, 02:35:17 am »
That fixed it.  Thanks very much.

I checked the logs and there seemed to be a few errors in it and was not sure which one could be the issue and I did read the readme os2 and I see the protocol section and what options are there.  I also see that the objects created have check boxes for those and the ones that I had working had that checked and others did not.  They all worked before so something may have toggled that on some objects or the properties maybe got lost.

I set that property on the template.

I appreciate your suggestion on this and the app too.
Networking / Re: RDP Client that has send-key functionality
« Last post by Digi on March 20, 2024, 10:43:44 pm »
I installed version 3.4.0 and with this version I can no longer connect to Windows or ArcaOS VM but I can connect to Ubuntu Linix on my Raspberry PI.

Strange. I have no problems connecting to my servers and workstations.

I have attached the connection logs for the windows 10 VirtualBox.

Try adding the /relax-order-checks switch as this entry in your log suggests:

[17:17:46:873] [88:206d9e00] [ERROR][com.freerdp.core.update] - [check_order_activated]: [0x0a] OpaqueRect - SERVER BUG: The support for this feature was not announced! Use /relax-order-checks to ignore
Applications / XWorkplace Xview - Icon Size
« Last post by Martin Iturbide on March 20, 2024, 09:11:51 pm »
Hello Rich

Do you know if there is a way to increase the icon size on the "Xview" view in XWP?
I was thinking that the right panel was using the standard "Icon view", but I guess it works differently.

It is something on xWorkplace or in DynamicIcons?

Regards
Applications / Re: XWP 1.0.17: any availability date ?
« Last post by Lars on March 20, 2024, 05:16:02 pm »
ok, thanks for the answer.
Applications / Re: XWP 1.0.17: any availability date ?
« Last post by Rich Walsh on March 20, 2024, 05:11:07 pm »
Out of interest but also need (I had raised 2 tickets): is there a rough availability date for XWP 1.0.17 ?

Normally, I don't release a new version of XWP until there are enough new features and bug fixes to make it worth the user's time and effort to install it. That typically occurs every 12-18 months (the last one was released 4 1/2 months ago). As it happens, I think I've achieved this "critical mass" sooner than usual, so I expect to do a new one in the next several months.

I was curious and looked into the XWorkplace/XWPHelpers SVN repos but could not see any checkins from Rich. I therefore suspect that currently, he only has done the changes to his local copy.

I usually keep the Netlabs repo at the same level as the most recent release. Anyone who builds it himself and then runs into problems can compare his results to the released binaries to determine if he introduced the issue or if it was already there but hadn't been noticed before. Further, I don't think it's helpful for other builders to have to wade through my mistakes and delays (i.e. a commit, 2 fixes for that commit, another commit a month later to finish it, etc, etc.). Before I commit anything, I consolidate all of my patches for a given feature or bug-fix into a single coherent patch that can be rolled-back easily if the builder wishes.
Programming / Re: FAT32 vs FAT16
« Last post by robertapengelly on March 20, 2024, 04:19:27 pm »
Right, not exactly the same images as I originally had but I've attached a zip with two images which should be identical except the partition type, mount them with Virtualbox and run lvmgui in Arca and you should have the same result as me which is it will complaint about the fat16.vhd but not the fat32.vhd.
« Last post by kerravon on March 20, 2024, 04:01:40 pm »

You seem to be convinced that this is a FAT16/FAT32 problem. If it is, then changing the '06' to '0C' should fix it. Have you tried that? I'd be really, really amazed if it did because LVM doesn't care what filesystem is in use. It cares about whether the partition's start/end/size look valid and whether the corresponding DLAT info is present and valid. And from what you say, it isn't.

I think that's a very harsh behavior for lvm to do, if that's really expected.

It's very normal to import a disk from another site - that is not OS/2/LVM-aware, and it is wrong to say that the partition is corrupt. It's merely lacking LVM info - very normal and expected, and misleading to call it corrupt.

I believe the FAT32 behavior is correct - no complaints about the partition.

Also note that even though the FAT16 disk is reported as corrupt, it is accepted anyway.
« Last post by kerravon on March 20, 2024, 03:57:02 pm »

Whereas the following is accepted and lvmgui does complain

80 04 01 00 0C 03 D1 C4 44 00 00 00 20 00 02 00

DOESN'T complain.

You might like to attach the two VHD here, as they compress well, being empty.

This forum accepts attachments.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]