Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Programming / Re: Qt6 Application Testing
« Last post by Dave Yeo on Today at 06:07:59 am »
Can't you do things like win32|os2 to follow that path on win32 or os2?

I was wondering the same, will test.

And yes, that works fine.
« Last post by Dave Yeo on Today at 03:03:53 am »

I was wondering the same, will test.
« Last post by Paul Smedley on Today at 01:59:06 am »
General Discussion / Re: Proposing an OS/2 Warp World Appreciation Day ...
« Last post by CalYY on Today at 12:58:18 am »
Warp 3 was simple with the fewest problems. Still have a running Warp 3 computer.
Hi.
Unfortunately the USV mouse would not work - in fact the USB light on the mouse didn't even come on. I know the USB ports work (well, at least the power part!) because I also have connected a pair of speakers which have a 3.5mm jack for the audio but take power from a USB socket.

Do you have USBMOUSE.SYS on your config.sys ?
- https://hobbesarchive.com/?detail=/pub/os2/system/drivers/mouse/IBM_USBMouse_10-57.zip
But it is a bad syndrome that the USB light of the mouse does not turn on. But maybe you just can give it try to see what happens.

Regards
The MDOS(WinOS2) subsystem in OS/2 is not an emulator, but actual PC-DOS 5 running in ring2. Not quite bare metal but closer then most user programs that run in ring3. You can actually load and run most DOS device drivers with some such as disk, mouse and keyboard getting trapped by the kernel and replaced by the OS/2 driver. So DOS programs can run on HPFS and JFS but you can't easily do something like supporting long file names.
The hardware itself has changed enough that DOS applications just don't run as well as they used to do.
This topic fits well with a feeling I have had for some time. However, wording it in a way that makes perfect sense may be tricky.

It comes down to what I want/need to do with that computer in front of me. As I see it, Operators fall into two major classes (ignoring oddball cases, like Manufacturer):

* Developer -- someone who wants to tinker with innards -- make the m/c "better" (faster, bigger data capacity, more physically robust &c);

* User -- someone who wants to manipulate objects such as Texts, Spreadsheets, Emails, Artwork, Designs (for various types of things -- clerical, abstract or tangible), Music, Household Appliances &c.

These days, I tend to fall into the User class but can appreciate the effort it takes to be a useful Designer. Being a creature of habit, I still try to run WordStar and other 16-bit utils. So OS/2's emulators, currently for DOS and Win-3.1 -- not to mention OS/2 itself ;) -- are essential (but still a bit flaky in my AOS-5.1; can we expect an update or two soon(ish)?).

This leads me to wonder whether the best future for OS/2 would be as a place to run retro-software. To the emulators already mentioned, add new ones for (eg) Linux, old games, other OSes that used to host popular software. Think about it: 32 bits already provide massive resources. Since OS/2 began, there have been amazing general refinements in industry standards: I/O commonly relies on USB but could still work with archaic stuff like Centronics; storage devices can run up to (is it?) 2TB per partition; processing speeds are insanely fast;...

And OS/2 would not be stuck-in-the-mud. We could hope for emulators allowing it to be hosted under 64-bits (and whatever higher bit-count the Secret Masters Of Computing, the SMOCs) may decree. And those Developers could carry on, improving the breed.

Need I go on?
Hi Martin,

Very interesting that you supported this series all those years ago!

I did a fresh install of OS/2 Warp 3 Connect followed by FixPak 40. I then installed the USB drivers from your link. Unfortunately the USV mouse would not work - in fact the USB light on the mouse didn't even come on. I know the USB ports work (well, at least the power part!) because I also have connected a pair of speakers which have a 3.5mm jack for the audio but take power from a USB socket. I temporarily disconnected the speaker USB connector to make sure it wasn't drawing all the power but sadly that didn't help :-(

Anyway, an interesting experiment!

Best wishes,
Richard.
Is the OS the kernel? the GUI? the user experience? and/or the applications that is has ?

OS/2 Kernel may never be 64bits, but I think about the idea of a different kernel that can interpret OS/2 in a way all applications think they still running on OS/2.

Even that I don't know much about it, I made this little graphic on how it should be over Zircon (Fuchsia OS) (A new Microkernel OS from Google - MIT license last time I checked). I always thought that CPI was the only thing taking to the kernel, but I think that the $DRIVERS$ talk also to the kernel. So the video, POINTER$, timers and other drivers need to be faked on a new kernel.

Regards
If you want it or not does not matter: there will never be a 64-bit version of OS/2. Period.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10