Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Hardware / Re: DOS Window Woes
« Last post by Roderick Klein on Today at 05:35:29 pm »
One thing to take into account is that currently for ArcaOS requires a so called CSM is. Effectively the UEFI firmware provides a BIOS compability layer.
The issue is that OS/2 leans on BIOS stuff hardly basically almost no other OS uses. Windows 7 was the last OS to be shipped on PC using a BIOS.
UEFI was introduced in 2013.

Putting it differently the CSM might be required to meet certain specifications, but vendors have in practicallity very little need to test the CSM that extensively.
Windows 7 was the last OS requiring a CSM. The issue you are running into with the DOS session not working is most likely an issue in the system CSM and can most likely not be resolved unless you open a ticket at Arca Noae. Your issue is most likely beyond this forum to help you as it will require some indepth analyses WHY this is happening. The testlog reveals nothing strange.

The phase out of the CSM in the UEFI system code is also the reason I understand Arca Noar is working on UEFI support for ArcaOS.

Roderick
Multimedia / Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Last post by Andi B. on Today at 09:05:19 am »
It's an Asus H87-Pro motherboard.

I saw the config.sys error message too. But this is what the ArcaOS installer made. I had only a quick look at the config.sys (it's included in the testlog) and think it's the ISO ifs line which triggers this error message. Again, this is a rather fresh ArcaOS installation. I didn't change ifs or nif lines in config.sys by myself. Of course worth to check as soon as I'm on this machine again....
Applications / Re: David's Doodles
« Last post by David Graser on Today at 06:55:25 am »
still playing around with backgrounds
« Last post by Martin Iturbide on Today at 02:21:40 am »
Hi Andi. B

I installed latest warpin package on a fairly fresh ArcaOS beta. I still have no sound on this system. Think I never had sound. If yes then it must have been a very old uniaud but I don't remember. Attached the logs. Maybe you see what's going wrong.

I checked some other hardware reports and there are ones that says that "8086:8C20 - Intel 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset High Definition Audio Controller" works with Uniaud. Maybe is the config.sys that David M says, or some other trick with unimix.exe.

It is as "DEVICE=G:\MMOS2\UNIAUD32.SYS /v /A:0" maybe it is "/A:1"

Andi, which is the Brand/model of you mainboard ? or machine and model if it is a retail machine. I want to check if was previously reported and include it on the wiki if applies.

Regards
« Last post by Kevin Nunn on Today at 01:22:39 am »

Create a testlog of this system and upload it.

What is the make and model of your system. Having more information will be helpfull.
It seems DOS windows is not the issue, but rather the the VDM support is broken.
Starting WIN/OS2 full screen will also hang the system.

Changing the video driver will most likely not help.
If you have the line ACPI.PSD in your conrfig.sys try starting with ACPI.PSD /MAXCPU=1 and try again.

But this rather sounds like VDM code running in into trouble either by the CSM layer in your BIOS or the video card BIOS code screwing up.
Because that is what VSVGA.SYS depends on.

Roderick Klein

Thanks for the reply and assistance. Attached is the testlog for the system.

I tried the /MAXCPU=1 and it did not change anything except for the number of processors that I could tell.

The system has "integrated graphics" and does state what type of chipset it is. Panorama tab does not report any VESA info, card name nor card vendor.
« Last post by David McKenna on July 22, 2021, 10:42:26 pm »
 Hi Andi,

I looked at your files and was surprised to see you have the identical sound hardware as myself (Realtek ALC887-VD). Here it works perfectly. One thing I notice in your testlog file is this:

----- Checking G:\CONFIG.SYS ---------------------------------------------------
ERROR: DEVICE=G:\IBMCOM\MACS\MMRE.OS2
ERROR: DEVICE=G:\IBMCOM\MACS\E100B.OS2
ERROR: DEVICE=G:\IBMCOM\MACS\E1000B.OS2
       Load order violation. All MAC drivers must come after all
       IFS statements and all network drivers

Maybe correcting those errors (by putting those lines at the end of CONFIG.SYS) might help?

Regards,
Setup & Installation / Re: Intel NUC (A20 Gate error)
« Last post by Roderick Klein on July 22, 2021, 10:30:23 pm »
This a years old issue in the OS2CSM code Veit wrote in circa 2005. You get the same error message on older Mac Books with a CSM in the UEFI firmware.

Three  solutions for now:

1) Arca Noae would need to fix this in the OS2CSM code.

2) Wait for 5.1. As its true this issue will not occur in an UEFI boot.

3) Install on a different system (put the hard disc in another system).
Take amount of USB host controllers into account and modify the NIC driver.

Roderick
« Last post by Andi B. on July 22, 2021, 09:03:37 pm »
I installed latest warpin package on a fairly fresh ArcaOS beta. I still have no sound on this system. Think I never had sound. If yes then it must have been a very old uniaud but I don't remember. Attached the logs. Maybe you see what's going wrong.
« Last post by Roderick Klein on July 22, 2021, 11:30:46 am »
Stating up front, I have already done the /int10grfxsafe thing, MODE C80, etc I even installed a VIOP10.WPI that someone referenced somewhere else.

The issue is with DOS windows. I had a issue previously on a different computer and the above did fix that. But this is on a Lenovo Desktop (Blondeguy machine).

This issue is different from the issue i had on the other computer.

Now the DOS window opens, it shows text changing in the first 2 columns of the window and after 20-30 seconds the OS locks up.

Attached is an image of what the top left of the window looks like, characters seem to scroll across the 2 character area, but it doesn't look like it is a continuous stream.

I've been dealing with this issue for awhile. The computer runs my BBS and the only thing I can't do is run BBS doors since most are all DOS. Just wish I could figure it out and maybe play some LORD or USURPER again :P

Create a testlog of this system and upload it.

What is the make and model of your system. Having more information will be helpfull.
It seems DOS windows is not the issue, but rather the the VDM support is broken.
Starting WIN/OS2 full screen will also hang the system.

Changing the video driver will most likely not help.
If you have the line ACPI.PSD in your conrfig.sys try starting with ACPI.PSD /MAXCPU=1 and try again.

But this rather sounds like VDM code running in into trouble either by the CSM layer in your BIOS or the video card BIOS code screwing up.
Because that is what VSVGA.SYS depends on.

Roderick Klein
« Last post by Paul Smedley on July 21, 2021, 11:10:40 pm »
Well I got sound. It is loud and the system is irradic. Mouse is very slow. PMMix is slow but comes up. I wil have to play with it but sound and no crash.

OK cool - I'll try and check my patches this evening - it's possible I screwed something up when reworking some code that wouldn't compile with openwatcom...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10