Author Topic: obtaining programmer editors  (Read 1995 times)

Andy Willis

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • View Profile
obtaining programmer editors
« on: September 30, 2016, 08:04:34 pm »
Does anyone know how to obtain either Visual Slickedit or Rimstart programmers editors at this point?

Neil Waldhauer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 20
    • View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: obtaining programmer editors
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 10:46:27 pm »
I thought we found out that Visual SlickEdit version 4 was released as free abandonware. It was on the eComStation e-mail list, but I can't find it now.

I have a licensed copy of version 4, but I'm a little curious about the status of the program.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 298
  • -Receive: 58
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 10:49:35 pm »
Hi

SlickEdit Inc is still in business: https://www.slickedit.com/
But there is not OS/2 version available for sale.

It can be worth a shot to ask them to turn the OS/2 version as "AS IS" unsupported freeware.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Andy Willis

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 05:41:09 pm »
I thought we found out that Visual SlickEdit version 4 was released as free abandonware. It was on the eComStation e-mail list, but I can't find it now.

I have a licensed copy of version 4, but I'm a little curious about the status of the program.
I searched my emails, so far, the only reference I can find is on the UnixOS2 list in 2006 in the thread "Editor suggestions".  In it you mention the abandonware and possible freeware state of it.

Paul Smedley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 11:32:13 pm »

I searched my emails, so far, the only reference I can find is on the UnixOS2 list in 2006 in the thread "Editor suggestions".  In it you mention the abandonware and possible freeware state of it.

I just sent them an email, asking if binaries are available at all for OS/2. Will advise here what response I get.

Cheers,

Paul

Andi B.

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 10:13:28 am »
..I just sent them an email, asking if binaries are available at all for OS/2...
I did the same years ago. Unfortunately I never got an answer. Hope you've more luck.

Paul Smedley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 10:34:59 am »
Hi Andi,

..I just sent them an email, asking if binaries are available at all for OS/2...
I did the same years ago. Unfortunately I never got an answer. Hope you've more luck.

I got an answer stating that the OS/2 binaries are unavailable. I've followed them up to ask if they object to current licensed users sharing the binaries and making the software available as unsupported freeware.

Cheers,

Paul

Thomas Gustafsson

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 08:36:48 pm »
I have a SlickEdit multi-platform license and sent an email to their support asking for a OS/2 license. I got the installation files but no license, I guess they don't have the tool available for generating a license. I'm not sure I can use someone elses license since I own it myself, but I cannot find any license so I don't need to bother with that problem anyway.

Dariusz Piatkowski

• Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 03:27:39 am »
Hi Thomas,

I have a SlickEdit multi-platform license and sent an email to their support asking for a OS/2 license. I got the installation files but no license, I guess they don't have the tool available for generating a license. I'm not sure I can use someone elses license since I own it myself, but I cannot find any license so I don't need to bother with that problem anyway.

I've been using that editor on the OS/2 and Winx platforms for a number of years, each with a separate (their own) license key. I've never actually tried using an OS/2 license on my Win7 install, maybe it would work, maybe not?