Author Topic: My experience with ArcaOS & problems I've faced etc.  (Read 1436 times)

ivan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 27
    • View Profile
Re: My experience with ArcaOS & problems I've faced etc.
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 09:33:01 pm »
No need to go to all that trouble if you had selected samba client during setup (I think it is the default). 

If you look in the network folder that looks like the old IBM internet one you should find an icon labelled 'ArcaMapper Connections', double click on that  and click on 'Network neighbourhood', click on the refresh button and if you are connected to a network with Samba servers on it they should show up.  Select the one you want and connect as necessary.

Tuure Linden

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2018, 10:00:03 pm »
Thanks, Ivan! That was easy... I somehow totally missed the ArcaMapper. It took me literally secods to connect to my Buffalo TeraStation NAS with it.

ivan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2018, 10:49:37 pm »
I should mention that if you have your NAS box on 24/7 and you want to auto connect to it when you start your computer you can do that.  Mapper file menu, 'autostart', enable'. it will put a start netdrive connections in the 'Startup' folder.

R.M. Klippstein

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2018, 11:28:46 pm »
Hi Turri, Midi works very well with ArcaOS, I only play Midi music files but hope to someday get A Roland box to try and create Midi files. For now go to Hobbes and search "Timidity", and you will be able to download what you need. There are some sample Timidity files included in ArcaOS. Look in Desktop/Programs/Multimedia/Sounds.

klipp
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:31:40 pm by R.M. Klippstein »

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 12:23:36 am »
There's also fluidsynth in Hobbes incoming. I haven't tested yet but it seems to be similar to timidity, using soundfont files to synthesize midi in real time using DART.

Tuure Linden

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 09:36:37 pm »
Firefox 45.9.0 keeps on going and it is quite stable in my normal use. Unfortunately Youtube doesn't work very well: some videos won't play and some of them play quite jerky or even crash the browser. VLC is good alternative for wathcing Youtube, but there are some videos that makes it also crash. A better and more light-weight browser is indeed needed. Sometimes playing a video from Youtube can make the whole system hang - I still have no clue why CAD-Popup doesn't always appear but the whole computer completely hangs or reboots when pressing Ctrl + Alt + Del. There's something with the Firefox build that can make the OS/2 on it's knees.

Sometimes a 16-bit Windows 3.1 program can also completely hang the system.

Besides that ArcaOS is stable - much more than Windows was back in the nineties. Of course there are issues that I had already forgot because I've been using much more modern operating systems lately. But for nostalgic reasons I like using ArcaOS.

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 03:14:26 am »
Yes, Firefox has become so bloated that even Mozilla gave up on its rendering engine and moved to Quantum. Unluckily we'll probably never move there.
As well we have very little acceleration available, no graphics cards doing the decoding, close to no graphics acceleration period.
Different builds of Firefox work better and worse for YouTube, might be worth testing SeaMonkey. There is also the h264ify add-on (if you can find it) which will force all videos to h264, which is somewhat more efficient then VP9.

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2018, 10:45:24 am »
Yes, Firefox has become so bloated that even Mozilla gave up on its rendering engine

Retorical: one of the blessings of Agile software development? Too bad; whatever...

If possible and needed I do download YouTube videos by default, and with Windows the Internet Exploder tends to be a better choice for higher-res videos.