Author Topic: New SeaMonkey builds  (Read 904 times)

Dave Yeo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 105
    • View Profile
Re: New SeaMonkey builds
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 01:47:05 am »
Hi André, you might want to try starting on the PIII with --safe-mode. Chatzilla for some reason (it hasn't changed) causes a lot of CPU here on a 4 core 2.4Ghz core2 CPU.

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 09:56:41 am »
Test 2 (common Pentium III): with --safe-mode the 100% CPU load starts before the Safe Mode-dialog. I may repeat test 2 with a different, "slow" Pentium III (notebook with 320 MiB of RAM XOR a non-updated desktop with 768 MiB of RAM) later.

Test 2.99 (out of 4), to include an extra Pentium III M:

IBM ThinkPad T23, Pentium III Mobile, 1.2 GHz CPU, 1 GiB RAM

Expected results: perfectly usable browser, possibly excluding videos, e.g. ChatZilla is disabled because less than 100% is a serious goal.

Again no need to reply, I'm just reporting; the add-on Saved Password Editor itself displays that it's quite useless, but as such I'm not testing add-ons right now.

SM 2.35:

<Ctrl-O> 0'57"
CPU (about:blank): 1-2%

SM 2.42 r3, add-on update, langpack update, modern theme, ChatZilla disabled:

<Ctrl-O> 1'00"
CPU load (about:blank) with all add-ons you'd want to disable disabled: 4-6%, excluding all peaks
CPU load (about:blank) with enabled Adblock Plus/DownloadHelper/Saved Password Editor: 100%, slow but responsive

SM 2.42 r3_O2, add-on update, langpack update, modern theme, ChatZilla disabled:

<Ctrl-O> 0'58"
CPU load (about:blank) with all add-ons you'd want to disable disabled: 4-6%
CPU load (about:blank) with enabled Adblock Plus/DownloadHelper/Saved Password Editor: 100%, slow but responsive

SM 2.42 r3_s, add-on update, langpack update, modern theme, ChatZilla disabled:

<Ctrl-O> 0'59"
CPU load (about:blank) with all add-ons you'd want to disable disabled: 4-6%

Perhaps tests 3 & 4 (Pentium 4s) are almost obsolete, but I'll compare the versions anyway and a T42p comes close to a mutual benchmark (CPU load used to be close to 100% too, but not 100%, IIRC). So far r3_s still is the main candidate to win.

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 11:57:58 am »
FWIW: the CPU load of 100% below isn't 100% while the File Open-dialog, opened almost ASAP, is displayed. Cancel button -> 100%.
FWIW/2: the files *60*.DLL aren't read-only in the ZIP files

Test 3 (out of 4):

IBM ThinkCentre A30 desktop, Pentium 4 (slower than a T42), 2.66 GHz CPU, 2 GiB RAM (minus 8 GiB video RAM)

Expected results: perfectly usable browser, possibly excluding videos. "Performance mode" test: modern theme, ChatZilla disabled, possibly obsolete add-ons Lightning 4.0.8 and Saved Password Editor removed before all tests.I haven't tried the Adblock Plus alternative yet, because this isn't an add-on test.

SM 2.35:

<Ctrl-O> 0'49"
CPU (about:blank): 1-2%

SM 2.42 r3, langpack update:

<Ctrl-O> 0'55"
CPU load (about:blank) with all add-ons you'd want to disable disabled: 3-5%, excluding all peaks
CPU load (about:blank) with enabled Adblock Plus and DownloadHelper: 100%, not responsive
CPU load (about:blank) with enabled DownloadHelper: 100%, responsive
CPU load (about:blank) with enabled Adblock Plus: 100%, not responsive

SM 2.42 r3_O2, langpack update:

<Ctrl-O> 0'51"
CPU load (about:blank) with all add-ons you'd want to disable disabled: 3-5%
CPU load (about:blank) with enabled Adblock Plus/DownloadHelper: 100%, not responsive

SM 2.42 r3_s, langpack update:

<Ctrl-O> 0'52"
CPU load (about:blank) with all add-ons you'd want to disable disabled: 3-5%
CPU load (about:blank) with enabled Adblock Plus/DownloadHelper: 100%, responsive
CPU load (about:blank) with enabled Adblock Plus/DownloadHelper: 100%, not responsive after a reboot

Over here the winner for OS/2 and eCS 1.x hardware, without YouTube being involded, will be r3_s, unless it'll fail with a T42p or a Pentium III CPU. Reasons: load time (probably the same reason why there's EXEPACK), about the same performance, size of files (ZIP & installed, some disks almost full).

This will be the first time my SM browser is newer than my FF browser. The only real issue is having to try the Adblock Plus-alternative, and maybe the language of the Lightning component. I'll survive without the Video DownloadHelper.

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2018, 02:09:16 pm »
Test 4 (out of 4).

IBM ThinkPad T42p, Pentium M, 2 GHz CPU, 2 GiB RAM

T42'ish benchmark test only (modern theme, only NoScript & GBM still enabled as third-party SM 2.35 add-ons, langpack installed, no internet connection, no replacement for Adblock Plus).

SM 2.35:

<Ctrl-O>: 0'24"
CPU: 0-2%, excluding all peaks

SM 2.42 r3:

<Ctrl-O>: 0'28"
CPU: 3-6%, excluding all peaks

SM 2.42 r3_O2:

<Ctrl-O>: 0'28"

SM 2.42 r3_s:

<Ctrl-O>: 0'27"

Next: quick & dirty attempt to test a (common, slower) Pentium III CPU

André Heldoorn

• Thank You
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2018, 03:10:36 pm »
Test 2.01 (out of 4)

IBM ThinkPad X20, Pentium III, 850 MHz CPU, 320 MiB RAM

SM 2.35:

<Ctrl-O>: test aborted after 5'00" (should "work", but takes longer than 5 minutes)
CPU load: 100%, system responsive and can be used normally

SM 2.42 r3_s, --safe-mode parameter:

<Ctrl-O>: test aborted after 5'00". It "works", the first time (which checked the profile) took longer than this
CPU load: 100%, system responsive and can be used normally
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:28:45 pm by André Heldoorn »