Author Topic: Warp 3 install - Virtualbox - no Ethernet driver  (Read 7506 times)

BB512

Warp 3 install - Virtualbox - no Ethernet driver
« on: October 17, 2018, 09:04:01 pm »
Aloha,

I started at IBM in 1991 and was given a PC workstation with OS/2, probably 2.x something, instead of a 3178 terminal. Pretty cool I thought back then. All I really did on the workstation was 3270 emulation with Comm Mgr something... but still very cool for 1991.

Anyway, I found some Warp 3 install files, put it up in a Virtual box, but can't find the Ethernet drivers. Warp 4 has them, but I can't find a working version for Warp 3.

I was at Comdex in 94 or so doing the IBM Internet Dialer booth with Warp 3 Connect, so that is my main interest today.

I'm looking for compatible Virtualbox Ethernet, and I understand that is AMD PCnet something or other.

Thanks!!

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: Warp 3 install - Virtualbox - no Ethernet driver
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 12:54:41 am »
Warp V3 didn't ship with Ethernet support, just enough of a stack to enable dial up networking. You need Warp V3 Connect or newer or find LANManager (or whatever it was called) and install it. I believe you might be able to install the free MPTN update to get the functionality as well.
Even with Warp v4 you will need to update the stack to use newer programs, OS/2 connect and Warp v4 shipped with a 16 bit stack and you need the 32 bit stack. Warp v3 would need other updates to be usable with more up to date software.
Easiest (though officially illegal, no one will care) is to go to https://winworldpc.com/product/os-2-warp-4/os-2-warp-452 and install Warp 4.52. If you like it, you can always purchase ArcaOS (OEM version of OS/2)

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 02:40:36 pm »
> Easiest (though officially illegal, no one will care) is to go to https://winworldpc.com/product/os-2-warp-4/os-2-warp-452 and install Warp 4.52.

Not sure about winworldpc.com, but I see MCP2, and even eCS, uploaded to archive.org. This is fully legal, because archive.org has a status of library, and libraries can host abandonware. IBM OS/2 and eCS are no more sold commercially, so they could be treated as abandonware.

Valery Sedletski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 02:45:44 pm »
Most OS/2 NIC drivers can be downloaded from there: http://os2warp.be/index2.php?name=nicpak (at least, I see AMD PCNet here). Intel Pro/1000 PCI should be there too. (though, Intel Gigabit PCI-express was distributed with eCS/Arca OS subscriptions only, it seems)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 03:08:08 pm »
Hi

Here it is the direct link: http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/drivers/network/NICPAK_2007-02-07.zip
If I don't get it wrong it is inside amd.zip and it is pcntnd.os2.

Give it a try, I remember that Warp 3 (with the network stuff installed) network used to work fine under VirtualBox but I haven't tried it in a long time.

Also, if you prefer Warp 4.52 will be better to run on VirtualBox since you require less fixpacks to be tuned :)

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

BB512

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 09:29:58 pm »
Thanks all. I got the Ethernet driver loaded, but still can't ping. Getting closer!

I do have a VM running 4.52, and TCP/IP is running fine. Netscape connects, but not many web sites are compatible. I remember back in the early 90s there weren't many web sites to choose from!

I'm looking for the IBM web browser, or maybe "explorer", probably in Warp Connect 3, that had 3 or 4 [....] areas in the status bar. Theses indicators showed how many "threads" the browser was loading. It wasn't around for long, but I remember it well.  Let me know if you know the version.

David Hart

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 02:36:52 am »
I have Virtual box on one PC that has 60 guests machines including Warp 3 with Ethernet.

If you have MPTS you can unzip the floppy drive  from NetworkDriver.zip and mount that from your Warp 3 guest and use MTPS to install the dirver.

Fahrvenugen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 05:59:45 am »
Hi,

For Warp 3 non-connect, you'll need to install MPTS.  Technically MPTS is only licensed for Warp 3 Connect or Warp 4, Warp Server, Warp Server for eBusiness, MCP, but it'll work on plain old non-connect Warp 3 and IBM still has it posted on one of their public FTP servers.  I doubt IBM is all that worried about people using MPTS on non-connect Warp 3...

There are 2 versions - a 16 bit version and the 32 bit version.  Pick one of them but not both.  Both will work with the TCP apps included in the bonuspack (although I think there were a few minor incompatibilities with the 32 bit stack and the Bonuspack TCP apps, but it didn't cause major problems).  As I recall some newer apps will only work with the 32 bit version, but (and it's been a while since I've set up a Warp 3 box) there was some file in the 32 bit stack that if I recall you had to swap out to make it work.  Anyways, here's where you can grab what you need.

The 16 bit version you can grab from here:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08423_conv/

And then there is a fixpack for it at:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08425_conv/

Or the 32 bit stack is at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08610_conv/

With a fixpack
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08621/

Additional fix to fix a random stack crash in the 32 bit stack:
http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/download/pub/os2/system/patches/newstack.zip

If I recall you first install the TCP internet connection kit from the bonuspack (use the selective install - some of the stuff like the newsreader and email client you don't really need).  Then install the base MPTS, then the fixpak for the MPTS you've installed, and then if you've gone with the 32 bit stack the newstack.zip

You'll want to use one of the newer Firefox builds.  Most should work with Warp 4.52, but I can't recall what the last one to work with Warp 3 was.  You'll definitely need to instal Warp Fixpak 40 if you're running 3.

I still have a couple of Warp 3 connect systems that I maintain running.  To be honest it has been so long since I set them up that I can't recall all the steps, but like Warp 3 has always done for me, they just keep on doing what they do best without crashing.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:03:25 am by Fahrvenugen »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 06:56:43 am »
Good info from Fahrvenugen. I'll add this link, http://web.archive.org/web/20060926004818/http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/english/site_contents.html as a starting point for all free fixes. Note a lot of links are dead but with some googling, things can be chased down.
For any modern apps, you will need the 32 bit stack and the latest fixpak at least.