Author Topic: WLAN to LAN Adapter that works under OS/2 available ?  (Read 6110 times)

Lars

• View Profile
WLAN to LAN Adapter that works under OS/2 available ?
« on: November 26, 2018, 08:27:17 am »
Hi,

I changed my telephone/internet provider. As a result, my router now moved from my work desk into the living room.
Because of that I can no longer connect to the router via LAN cable but need to use WLAN. I have a desktop PC that does not have built-in WLAN anyway. I know that USB is not an option as we have no USB WLAN drivers.

Does anyone know of a WLAN-to-LAN Adapter that works under OS/2 (or is likely to work) ?

I hope that these adapters are generic enough to look like an ethernet cable to the built-in LAN HW.
If not, I guess that will the final curtain for OS/2 on my computers ...

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
Re: WLAN to LAN Adapter that works under OS/2 available ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:49:25 am »
Does anyone know of a WLAN-to-LAN Adapter that works under OS/2 (or is likely to work) ?

I have three of them. Two very old, and one that is newer. The old ones (ASUS, and Belkin) only link at 54 Mbs, which is pretty slow. The newer one (a D-LINK 506L) works pretty well at about 300 Mbs, anywhere in my house. Depending on your internet speed, any of them could work. (The Belkin is junk).

They all use a browser interface for configuration, and the biggest "problem" is trying to figure out what address they are using so you can configure your IP address, to be able log into them. After you get them configured, they remember the link, even over a power down.

I know that there are a number of them that do work, but there is a learning curve (configuring them) to get over.

Another possible option, is a network extender, that uses an adapter at both ends, plugged into power outlets (using the power lines for communication) I have no idea how well they work.

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 11:40:21 am »
Hi Lars,

i can recommend TP-Link TL-WR902AC https://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR902AC.html and TL-WR802N https://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-9_TL-WR802N.html

Both worked for me. Setup was easy.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 12:41:27 pm »
Hi Lars,

I also use a TP-Link TL-WR802N 'nano router' with OS/2, as Moritz mentioned. One thing to be aware of - the one I have defaults to being a 'repeater' and must be configured using a wireless device (laptop) the first time (or if reset to default). After configuring to be used with ethernet (from a laptop) it can be configured from the ethernet side...

Regards,

Lars

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 01:27:24 pm »
Ok, those sound like a viable solution.

about configuring via WLAN: maybe TP-Link has a cellphone app for configuring.
If not, we have enough Windows notebooks at home ...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:40:49 pm by Lars »

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 02:31:18 pm »
Yes there is an App available. Currently the 902 is on Cyber Monday Sale at Amazon.de.

On the TP-link website they offer in the support section Emulators for their products. You will be able to see upfront the configuration possibilities.

Remy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 10:43:28 am »
There are other solutions too
e.g.  https://www.devolo.com/