Author Topic: BS_Info v2.2 and AVxCat  (Read 5508 times)

David Graser

• View Profile
BS_Info v2.2 and AVxCat
« on: August 24, 2019, 05:34:07 am »
I just wanted to thank both Rolf Gachnang and Remy for two nice pieces of software.  Rolf has greatly improved on BS_Info since the earlier versions making it more stable with more information selections.

Remy has made it so easy to locate and update the necessary packages which make it so easy to set up after installation.  In the AVxCat parameters, by clicking on the external program description on the left, it downloads that necessary package.  It may have always been there, but I just discovered it for myself.

This thank you applies to all you programmers for without you all, we would not have a platform that a lot of us still enjoy using.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 06:15:50 am by David Graser »

Remy

• View Profile
Re: BS_Info v2.2 and AVxCat
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 12:37:08 pm »
Hi,

Many thanks, this option to find and download "necessary packages" was added into the latest build.
Since this update, the "program description" on the left side is now "centered" in the left part of the parameters window instead of right adjusted as before.

Best regards
Rémy

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 02:55:15 am »
Hi All

Just installed BS_Info v2.2 and gave it a try.

I am a little concerned about the IFS information displayed regarding my fat32 driver:-

fat32.ifs   v0.10.r204
   *** very dangerous ***

Does anyone know why this fat32 driver is "*** very dangerous ***"?

Could the answer explain why several usb drives formatted using the above fat32 driver have had a few problems? - the latest was my D: drive which started displaying the directories listed in the root of the drive in a subdirectory repeatedly. To show an eg:-

D:
    \Images
    \Docs
    \Vids
    \Temp
                 \Images
                 \Docs
                 \Vids
                 \Temp
                             \Images
                              \Docs
                              \Vids
                              \Temp

Opening any directory results in "no objects found..." message; using the cmdline no files are found.

Guess I'll have to ask Jan (DFSee) to help sort this mess out.

Regards

Pete

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 06:25:07 am »
Hi All

I am a little concerned about the IFS information displayed regarding my fat32 driver:-

fat32.ifs   v0.10.r204
   *** very dangerous ***

Hi Pete

You are using are extremely old driver with the latest being v0.10.r381 which can be found at

https://ecsoft2.org/fat32

At this page, you can see just how far behind you are.

The later drivers add more types of FAT support and I believe chckdsk support along with formatting fat32 drives.

The web page is wrong.  You can format fat32 drives.  I use the Reformat  program which I bought.  If you are familiar with the command line, it can be done that way.

Fat32 entries in my config.sys file.

ifs=F:\OS2\BOOT\fat32.ifs /cache:2048 /h /q /ac:* /largefiles /fat /exfat
call=F:\OS2\cachef32.exe /f /p:2 /m:50000 /b:250 /d:5000

I believe the ArcaOS Fat32 driver is based on the 0.10.r378 version.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 06:43:58 am by David Graser »

Gregg Young

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 11:59:52 pm »
Hi All

fat32.ifs   v0.10.r204
   *** very dangerous ***

Hi Pete

You are using are extremely old driver with the latest being v0.10.r381 which can be found at

https://ecsoft2.org/fat32

At this page, you can see just how far behind you are.

The later drivers add more types of FAT support and I believe chckdsk support along with formatting fat32 drives.

The web page is wrong.  You can format fat32 drives.  I use the Reformat  program which I bought.  If you are familiar with the command line, it can be done that way.

Fat32 entries in my config.sys file.

ifs=F:\OS2\BOOT\fat32.ifs /cache:2048 /h /q /ac:* /largefiles /fat /exfat
call=F:\OS2\cachef32.exe /f /p:2 /m:50000 /b:250 /d:5000

I believe the ArcaOS Fat32 driver is based on the 0.10.r378 version.

Hi David, Pete

The ArcaOS Fat32 driver is based on the 0.10.r359 though it does have some code from later revisions.

Fat32 isn't a very robust file system. It is just an extension of Fat16. Its directory enties are all stored in files just like the data is stored. It only has short name directory entry structures. These have been bastardized so it can use multiple short name structures to store long names.

Probably all OS2 Fat32 drivers suffer from directory entry corruption under heavy load. Fortunately, it is seldom seen under light usage. It is more likely with caching (Note the cache is disabled in the current Netlabs and ArcOS versions), with multiprocessors and under heavy load such as rsyncing a large number of file from multiple directories from a Fat32 hard drive to a Fat32 USB stick. Fortunately, chkdsk can usually fix the problem.  However, rarely it will cause mismatch Fats and chkdsk will give up kindly telling you to run chkdsk in Windows (which won't work either as fixing the fats requires scandisk). The only ways to fix it in OS2 is using DFSee or reformatting the drive.

Gregg

xynixme

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 11:12:44 am »
You are using are extremely old driver

Nevertheless I'll consider a downgrade here. I don't really need access to FAT32 partitions, but it's nice-to-have. The upgrade should solve at least one minor issue (cleaner removal of a FAT USB drive), but introduces two. No directories nor files in the root directory of an Olympus USB camera, and a fatal TRAP during the final phase of booting a specific (old, eCS 1.x-hardware, Pentium III) IBM ThinkPad. I'll check the release notes of the latest version first. No big deal, I haven't even considered played with switches. Presumably "very dangerous" only applies to people actually using non-8.3 FAT functionalities; i.e. "victims" of Microsoft file systems.