Author Topic: Updated Uniaud32 build  (Read 366098 times)

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
Re: Updated Uniaud32 build
« Reply #690 on: October 25, 2021, 03:41:29 pm »
I would like to thank Paul Smedly and Steve Levine for their efforts and work on this driver.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #691 on: October 25, 2021, 09:46:27 pm »
Just out of curiosity may I ask a question?  Has anyone been able to get sound to work through an HDMI port and link to a monitor?

I ask this because all of my computing equipment now has an HDMI port on the motherboard as well as all the monitors, only used at the moment for video.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 26, 2021, 03:49:48 am »
Hey Ivan,
Just out of curiosity may I ask a question?  Has anyone been able to get sound to work through an HDMI port and link to a monitor?

I ask this because all of my computing equipment now has an HDMI port on the motherboard as well as all the monitors, only used at the moment for video.

I'd have to check the code, but in theory I think this could work - but I've never tested it. I've be interested in a copy of 'testlog uniaud' for a system connected with HDMI

Cheers,

Paul.

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 26, 2021, 03:50:26 am »
I would like to thank Paul Smedly and Steve Levine for their efforts and work on this driver.

Thanks! Steven's help with diagnosing traps/dump files has been invaluable - definitely new territory for me!

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: October 26, 2021, 10:33:42 pm »
 Hey Paul,

I attached testlog uniaud for my computer, which has HDMI video and monitor does have speakers (that work with Windows). I currently use the sound jack on the back of the computer for OS/2 sound, but would be nice to just use the monitor via HDMI. No sign of HDMI sound in the log that I can see though... using your latest 5.14.7 driver.

Regards,

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 27, 2021, 10:55:38 am »
Hey Dave,

I attached testlog uniaud for my computer, which has HDMI video and monitor does have speakers (that work with Windows). I currently use the sound jack on the back of the computer for OS/2 sound, but would be nice to just use the monitor via HDMI. No sign of HDMI sound in the log that I can see though... using your latest 5.14.7 driver.

OK I checked the makefiles, patch_hdmi.c wasn't being built - I remember why now - it dragged in a bunch of other code that I didn't feel like trying to get working at the time.

Leave it with me and I'll see if I can get it compiling.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 28, 2021, 08:07:42 am »

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 28, 2021, 12:11:01 pm »
 Thanks Paul! This one still works with the Realtek sound jack, but no HDMI - testlog attached. I assume unimix -card should show 2 adapters present if HDMI works?

Regards,

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 28, 2021, 11:03:02 pm »
Hi Dave,
Thanks Paul! This one still works with the Realtek sound jack, but no HDMI - testlog attached. I assume unimix -card should show 2 adapters present if HDMI works?
Yeah I would think it would show two adapters - I'll take a look at the log and see if there are any clues.....

Cheers,

Paul

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 02, 2021, 01:29:40 pm »
The new beta driver works Just like th elast driver. But I have noticed uninstall the old Workplace to upgrade to the new version that uninstlaled the stalls that occur seems to be reduced. I will down load and install the new version  of the Desktop for ArcaOA 1.0.14 to see what happens.

mike

• View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 18, 2022, 09:14:20 pm »

Yeah I would think it would show two adapters - I'll take a look at the log and see if there are any clues....

here it shows 2 adapter, the monitor is connected with dislayport cable. however no hdmi/dp sound nor onboard sound.

Detected 2 audio adapter(s)
Error: invalid number of PCM instances for adapter 1
Card info for adapter 0:
  num: 0
  id: HDMI
  driver: HDA-Intel
  name: HDA ATI HDMI
  longname: HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfeb64000 irq 45
  mixer: ATI R6xx HDMI
  componenets: HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100500

CardInfo.card: 0
CardInfo.id: HDMI
CardInfo.Driver: HDA-Intel
CardInfo.Name: HDA ATI HDMI
CardInfo.LongName: HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfeb64000 irq 45
CardInfo.MixerName: ATI R6xx HDMI
CardInfo.Components: HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100500

CardInfo.card: 1
CardInfo.id: Generic
CardInfo.Name: HD-Audio Generic
CardInfo.LongName: HD-Audio Generic at 0xfeb60000 irq 16
CardInfo.MixerName:
CardInfo.Components: HDA:10ec0671,17341203,00100001

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 01:35:43 am by Martin Iturbide »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #701 on: January 19, 2022, 09:06:43 am »
For onboard sound, you can probably add /A:1 to the uniaud32.sys line in config.sys

mike

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 06, 2022, 10:21:29 am »
That did enable the onboard sound and the mixer is now ok.

Detected 2 audio adapter(s)
Error: invalid number of PCM instances for adapter 1
Card info for adapter 0:
  num: 0
  id: HDMI
  driver: HDA-Intel
  name: HDA ATI HDMI
  longname: HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfeb64000 irq 45
  mixer: ATI R6xx HDMI
  componenets: HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100500

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 01, 2022, 07:19:30 pm »
Good Morning Guys and Gals!

I'm coming into this conversation very late after about 23 months of continuous response to first CoVid, then Forest Fires, then being called back to service this February, manning the Emergency Operations Centre here in Alberta, dealing with a little occupation disguised as a protest, blocking the international border crossing (I'm starting to think emergencies are the normal state of affairs now).

In January, I read through this thread, catching up on over 700 posts, to understand the nature of what has been accomplished. I would first like to add my compliments as well to both Paul Smedley and Steve Levine for the absolutely massive amount of work undertaken to advance the functionality of the ArcaOS / eCS / OS/2 UniAud32 driver, as well as to the testers who dedicated a LOT of time to provide feedback on the various incarnations of the driver created by Paul, as he advanced the driver closer to the current level of Linux releases.

As I finally have some time to do some testing on my own systems (if, hopefully not being called away yet again), I wanted to add a couple of data points into the mix, based on the sound equipment in my systems. I'm not sure if Paul's updated driver is planned to be added by Lewis to a future ArcaOS update, but, if so, I have found a couple of additional instances of sound not being generated, by the installed hardware.

The level of Pauls driver installed is the 5.14.7-20211028 on the each of two test systems. As I installed the release drive first, and got no sound in certain circumstances, I've substituted the debug driver on each test partition.

Each system has three sound chipsets present in the equipment installed:

HYPERFIRE

Number of CPU cores = 4
CPU name Not available
PMUniMix V0.82
Uniaud32.sys version = 301.1
Number of cards detected = 3
Using card number 0
number of controls = 31

Card 0
F1- A75-V Motherboard
On-Board Audio - ALC892 - Supports 8 channel High Definition Audio

CardInfo.id: Generic
CardInfo.LongName: HD-Audio Generic at 0xfc700000 irq 16
CardInfo.MixerName: Realtek ALC892
CardInfo.Components: HDA:10ec0892,1043841b,00100302

Card 1
On-board HDMI sound - ATI Radeon 5770 Video card

CardInfo.id: Generic_1
CardInfo.LongName: HD-Audio Generic at 0xfc640000 irq 57
CardInfo.MixerName: ATI ID aa01
CardInfo.Components: HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100200

Card 2
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Series Sound Card

CardInfo.card: 2
CardInfo.id: Creative
CardInfo.Name: HDA Creative
CardInfo.LongName: HDA Creative at 0xfc200000 irq 56
CardInfo.MixerName: Creative ID d
CardInfo.Components: HDA:1102000d,11020043,00100000

MANTICORE II

Number of CPU cores = 6
CPU name Not available
PMUniMix V0.82
Uniaud32.sys version = 301.1
Number of cards detected = 3
Using card number 0
number of controls = 59

Card 0
M3N-HT Deluxe Motherboard
On-Board ADI AD1988B BH 8 Channel High Definition Audio

CardInfo.id: NVidia
CardInfo.Name: HDA NVidia
CardInfo.LongName: HDA NVidia at 0xfe020000 irq 22
CardInfo.MixerName: Analog Devices AD1988B
CardInfo.Components: HDA:11d4198b,1043829b,00100400 HDA:10de0002,10de0101,00100000

Card 1

On-board HDMI sound - ASUS Radeon HD 7850 Video Card

CardInfo.id: HDMI
CardInfo.Name: HDA ATI HDMI
CardInfo.LongName: HDA ATI HDMI at 0xfdafc000 irq 16
CardInfo.MixerName:
CardInfo.Components: HDA:1002aa01,00aa0100,00100300

Card 2

Sound Blaster Recon3D / Z-Series Sound Card

CardInfo.card: 2
CardInfo.id: Creative
CardInfo.Name: HDA Creative
CardInfo.LongName: HDA Creative at 0xfd9fc000 irq 16
CardInfo.MixerName:
CardInfo.Components: HDA:11020011,11020015,00100918

For the system I've named HYPERFIRE above, the following results we're obtained:

Adapter 0 :  No sound, but PMUnimix v0.8.2 reports all 9 normal volume sections - putting sound volumes to the max produces no sound.

Adapter 1: ATI 5770 Video card reports no volume sections under PMUnimix and no sound (NOTE: I do not have an HDMI cable available to connect to my display sound system, but as no sections are present in PMUnimix, I would not expect to have sound)

Adapter 2: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Series Sound Card - No sound but PMUnimix v0.8.2 reports 6 volume sections, as follows:

Headphone + LO Playback Volume (both channels enabled)
Surround Playback Volume (both channels enabled)
Centre Playback Volume (1 channel enabled)
LFE Playback Volume (1 channel enabled)
Side Playback Volume (both channels enabled)
Master Playback Volume (1 channel enabled)
Maximum volume for all channels is 103, if that makes a difference.

For the system I've named MANTICORE II above the following results we're obtained:

Adapter 0 : Sound present and very clear, no problems noted. Sound present in 5 speaker system (Front, rear and bass woofer) which can be adjusted through PMUnimix.

Adapter 1: ATI 5850 Video card reports no volume section settings under PMUnimix and no sound (NOTE: As mentioned previously, I do not have an HDMI cable available to connect to my display sound system, but as no volume sections are present in PMUnimix, I would not expect to have sound)

Adapter 2: Sound Blaster Recon3D / Z-Series Sound Card: Master Playback Volume reported under PMUnimix and sound present but not controlled by Master Playback volume (the only control present), using /a:2 as a switch in config.sys for UniAud32.sys. Required a cold reboot to get sound. Sound is only present from front speakers (sound system attached to this adapter has 2 front, 2 rear and bass speakers - 5 in all) and hardware volume on speakers needs to be turned down as sound is blasting on max (IOW no software sound control).

I don't know, reading about Soudblaster cards in the posts, whether success in getting sound was hit and miss in previous incarnations of Pauls current Uniaud32 driver. I also have not tried the HDMI enabled driver mentioned at the very end of the thread so that may work or not. (still have to test it).

I have attached two testlogs generated, one for each system. For Hyperfire, the testlog was generated with UniAud32 in default mode (using the sound chipset on the motherboard). The second testlog for Manticore II was generated with the /a:2 switch enabled on UniAud32, which pointed to the Soundblaster Recon card. I don't know if you would like me to generate a separate testlog for Hyperfire, with the /a:2 switch enabled.

Anyway, hope this helps development of this driver proceeding in future and Best!

Mark
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"

Mark Szkolnicki

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 11, 2022, 10:32:46 pm »
Hi All!

As an update I did download Paul's last update, with HDMI support and installed it. I acquired an HDMI cable and attached the ASUS Radeon 5850 Card to my monitor, which is equipped with a Bang and Olufson sound system. Using the /a:1 switch on Manticore II I attempted to generate sound through the sound chipset reported in the PMUnimix debug report (no volume controls displayed) and got no results. I expected this as no controls were present, but thought I'd be thorough in my testing.

Reading through the posted to this subject, I don't recall seeing any results specifically related to installed sound chipsets on a Radeon card working with UniAud32, but perhaps someone that's got one working can enlighten me as to that, and how to do it and Best!

Mark.
Vincit Que Se Vincit - "He Who Conquers Self Succeeds"