Author Topic: ArcaOS - in place upgrade - version 5.0.4  (Read 9740 times)

Paolo_Ricardo

ArcaOS - in place upgrade - version 5.0.4
« on: June 03, 2020, 05:56:24 am »
Never having done an in-place upgrade I decided to test it out on a Virtual Box VM of ArcaOS. I created a 'virtual' ISO of the downloaded upgrade which showed up as drive S: on my VM. I assume that I then have to do a selective install (because I couldn't find any way to boot from the virtual ISO.)

I go through the various options and get to 'Select the source drive and directory' , choose s:\os2image which takes me through various options and then does the update. Unfortunately I now have a screen resolution of 640 x 480 whereas before the upgrade my resolution was 1024 x 640.  When I go into System Setup and choose Screen there is only the one resolution shown (640 x 480) so I have clearly messed up the install. I'd appreciate some guidance here. Thanks

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS - in place upgrade - version 5.0.4
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 06:27:24 am »
You need an older install to upgrade. And to boot an ISO, you need to mount it as a CD/DVD, VBox should by default try to boot the DVD before the hard drive.
Once booted, the installer, after the license agreement, where it gives choices like simple install/scripted etc, should also give the option of upgrading an existing install. So basically you start out like you were going to do a full install, then choose upgrade in the installer. IIRC, it does it in 3 phases, 1st while running the installer, then a reboot, more updating, another reboot and more upgrading.
As I mentioned previously, good to have a backup just in case. While the upgrade process works pretty well, there's always a possibility that something unexpected might happen and even after a smooth upgrade, you may find your desktop icons need rearranging and things like %TMP% might have changed.
Try installing your previous version in VBox, then try updating it to get a feel.
BTW, what video driver are you using?

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 08:06:06 am »
Dave
I have a backup of my ArcaOS VM so I can easily restore that. But the version I was trying to upgrade was the original of the backup.

>> And to boot an ISO, you need to mount it as a CD/DVD, VBox should by default try to boot the DVD before the hard drive.<<

Are you saying that I need to create a physical DVD ISO (rather than a 'virtual' ISO)?

>>BTW, what video driver are you using?<<
Looking at  Screen in System Setup of my original install it shows Panorama at 1024 x 640 resolution.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 08:37:31 am »
It should be able to boot off the virtual DVD that you mounted. I don't use VBox much, I thought there was a setting for the machine to adjust the boot order in the control panel where you choose and start your various virtual machines or perhaps it's like real hardware where you set it in the BIOS or press F12 during POST and choose where to boot from. For me, it has always tried to boot from the DVD first.
As for your video, Selective install, which knows nothing about Panorama, likely installed the VGA driver. Selective install is really meant to be used with the original IBM installer and even then quickly broke as you updated/customized your machine. Not sure why it is still there, probably too hard to remove or due to the license. Stay away from it.

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 09:08:01 am »
Dave
OK I changed the boot order (in VB Settings). In short the installer completely wiped my virtual hard disk and did a new install. So I lost all my applications - not an in-place upgrade. Just as well I have a backup. Did I miss an option to do just an upgrade?

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 03:03:43 pm »
Paul

I could be wrong, but I was not aware that version 5.04 allowed one to install over a previous version.  I was under the belief that it was planned for version 5.1 whenever it is released.  Version 5.05 is near.  I am waiting for it. 

David

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 03:57:24 pm »
I had upgraded 5.0.3 to 5.0.4 via the provided upgrade process.  I was surprised the upgrade was uneventful as I am using HPFS 386 rather than JFS on my boot partition.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 04:49:56 pm »
Dave
OK I changed the boot order (in VB Settings). In short the installer completely wiped my virtual hard disk and did a new install. So I lost all my applications - not an in-place upgrade. Just as well I have a backup. Did I miss an option to do just an upgrade?

After you agree to the license, on the next screen there should be 4 options with the bottom one being to update a previous ArcaOS install. If that isn't showing up, then for some reason the installer doesn't see your previous install. A dirty disk is one thing that will cause this, there's probably other reasons it can happen too.
If you get to the point where it says it is going to format the disk, you've taken the wrong path and need to cancel.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 06:24:18 pm »
Thanks for the info Dave. I was not aware of it.  Will give it a try when 5.05 comes out.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 10:48:22 pm »
It also helps if you have the boot partition for the OS only with programs, tools and data on other partitions.  That way updating the OS does not wipe any of your programs, tools or data.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 11:01:03 pm »
I think it's smarter to have programs and operating system on one drive. Since settings are going to be scattered around between os, programs and data, you really don't get any benefit from separating programs and os. It's worth taking some trouble to separate data from programs/os.

Part of the problem is that there is no firm line between programs and operating system. On other operating systems, it makes perfect sense to separate programs and operating system. Which is \usr? Is it operating system or is it programs?

is %home% data or operating system?

I have tested update in a few systems, and I'm pretty happy with the result.

Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2020, 12:03:22 am »
I agree with Neil. I used to have a different drive with just the applications on it.Of course this was when I was just running OS/2 4.50. I move away from it when I started using ecomstaion. I have continued that practice with Arca OS.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 02:40:25 am »
Hi All

I prefer ivans way of doing things.

As far as I am concerned /user, /etc and /var are just *nix programs or related and %HOME% is definitely data.

This means I can keep boot size down to 2GB and use HPFS - preferred to JFS for bootable volumes.

But... you pays your money and makes your choices  :-)

Regards

Pete

Paolo_Ricardo

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2020, 05:19:19 am »
After you agree to the license, on the next screen there should be 4 options with the bottom one being to update a previous ArcaOS install.

Dave
I did the 'Update previous ArcaOS installation' and got the 'Updating the system' screen. The progress bar showed 'Updating installed system components' and then froze at 5%. I waited for over an hour and then killed the process.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2020, 05:33:30 am »
Ok, something isn't right and deserves a ticket. Arca Noae is very good at responding to issues as long as you have a subscription which you do.
You might want to wait for 5.0.5, which hopefully will be out as soon as the last issue that is being worked on is fixed, and it is close.