Author Topic: Windows 10 and ArcaOS 5.x Dual Boot  (Read 16522 times)

ivan

• View Profile
Re: Windows 10 and ArcaOS 5.x Dual Boot
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 01:04:30 pm »
Strange, when I updated to a 1TB drive, Bootmanager stopped working, or actually only showed my smaller drive, and I was informed it didn't work with drives over 512GB or so, so I switched to airboot.

Hi Dave,
I think that 512GB limit is the maximum size if the OS boot partition.  It works for me on my standby computer with a 1TB and 2 2TB drives that have OS/2 WsEB, ArcaOS and a Warp 4 maintenance partition spread out over all the drives.  Actual boot partitions are 2GB.  ArcaOS was the frustrating install because it wants the boot partition to be a primary one whereas with all my OS/2 installs they have been on extended partitions. 

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 10:23:42 pm »
I think that 512GB limit is the maximum size if the OS boot partition.

I think you let some other OS make some, or all, of your partitions. If you wipe a large disk (use the ArcaOS tool) and make all of the required partitions (including windows, and Linux) with (mini)LVM, then format the boot volumes as JFS, you won't have those problems (unless the other OS messes with what you did). Don't forget that that will delete all of the data on the disk, so be prepared with GOOD backups.

VERY IMPORTANT: Do not, ever, let anything else mess with the disk setup. That is pretty well guaranteed to cause problems.

I have a couple of 1 TB disks with win10, a couple of ArcaOS boot volumes, a FAT32 volume, and a couple of other OS/2 volumes. They all work, as expected (including a boot volume at the end of the disk).

Boot manager probably has problems with large disks, but I have not, yet, seen Air Boot fail with one (probably could happen if the BIOS is not up to the job). I do have one ancient DELL, where Air Boot refuses to work, but I am sure that is a BIOS problem, because I can put the same disk into a newer machine, and Air Boot works.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2020, 01:14:08 am »
Hi Dave,
I think that 512GB limit is the maximum size if the OS boot partition.  It works for me on my standby computer with a 1TB and 2 2TB drives that have OS/2 WsEB, ArcaOS and a Warp 4 maintenance partition spread out over all the drives.  Actual boot partitions are 2GB.  ArcaOS was the frustrating install because it wants the boot partition to be a primary one whereas with all my OS/2 installs they have been on extended partitions.

My boot partitions are usually about 2GB, occasionally 4GB. The problem was none of the drives on the 1TB disk showed up in BM and when I asked about it, the story was that BM didn't support such large drives.
All my ArcaOS installs, and I have a few, are on logical partitions. Weird that you had problems.

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2020, 03:16:37 am »
Hi All

No problem installing to 1Tb disk *after* using DFSee to prepare the disk by wiping start of disk to 0(s). I seem to recall LVM cannot see the full 1Tb - only sees 512Gb - without performing this action first. After the disk is "prepared" partitons/volumes can be created using either LVM, miniLVM or DFSee

No problems installing ArcaOS to Logical volumes here although I was selecting to install to drives that had already been created and had previously had eCS2.0/2.1/2.2 installed.

Regards

Pete

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2020, 04:02:52 am »
Hi

I'm not sure about the suggestions.  I have Airboot res-installed, Windows 10 booting and ArcaOS 5 failing to boot when you select it from the airboot list. 

This is how ArcaOS Maintenance Boot sees the partitions.

X: drive (ArcaOS) does not get recognized as JFS by the tool.

Do you suggest to install MBR again?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 02:58:37 am »
Hi

Since Windows 10 is working on this dual boot configuration, I check the W10 partition manager and check how it recognize the non-working ArcaOS partiton (which was JFS). It recognize it as NTFS, and to test I assigned it a letter and it was mounted on W10 as as working drive.

Maybe this mean that, even that I told Windows 10 to install on the first partition (selecting the custom install), it took the ArcaOS partition (JFS) and format it as NTFS.

Now I will try to reinstall ArcaOS on the 20GB X: drive and see what happens.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2020, 06:47:26 pm »
Hi

Now I had tried the other way. Since Windows 10 broke the ArcaOS partition format (I suspect the installer formatted the ArcaOS JFS partition as NTFS), with Windows 10 working I had installed ArcaOs and AirBoot.

This broke now the Windows 10 boot process. ArcaOS and Airboot now works, but when you select the Windows 10 partition to boot it will not load anything. Just a black screen.

Now I will like to know what the ArcaOS installation did to Windows 10 to no longer boot. The Windows 10 partition seems to be there as NTFS, but now I need to find out what got broken on the Win10 boot process. Any help, tips , "trial and error" is welcome since this is a test machine without anything important on it.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2020, 09:18:43 pm »
I think you know that Win shows a popup for all partitions it does not know which says something like 'you need to format this partition' to use it. Or more precisely all partitions that Windows does recognize as being not NTFS or FAT32 (I'm pretty sure MS knows that JFS is something it should not bother but the can't resist to try to destroy all non MS things) are poping up a dialog which if you don't be careful formats it. You have to go to the volume manager and remove the drive letter so that Win leave these partitions alone in future. Maybe you don't click Cancel on this popup? Or newer W10 don't even ask?

What Win does in any case is write to the first (primary?) partition on disk0. Bad luck if this was another OS. But in your case Win should not have touched your 3. partition except for the misleading 'Volume can not be accessed. Need formatting' dialog.

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 04:58:53 pm »
Pardon me for jumping in, but my problem is so similar, it might be worth looking at.

I'm having a similar problem with Windows 10 and ArcaOS 5.0.5 on my Thinkpad X250. I had both running smoothly with AirBoot. I used ArcaOS to shrink the Windows 10 large partition and placed the ArcaOS partitions at the end of the disk. Everything was done with the ArcaOS installer.

But then I created one more partition, and now AirBoot does not work. It puts up the first part of the disk menu, pauses for almost a second, then puts up a blank screen. Reinstalling AirBoot does nothing. If I put in a plain MBR, Windows 10 boots fine.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 02:28:51 pm »
Hi Neil
If I put in a plain MBR, Windows 10 boots fine.
What is the procedure you use to put a plan MBR to get back Win10 working? Even if Air-Boot still broken.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2020, 09:21:57 pm »
I boot ArcaOS installer on a USB stick, and to go the System Maintenance window. I'm not at an installer right now, so going from memory, I do the following

I enter Volume Management (Simple) or whatever to access the ArcaOS volume manager.

I rewrite the MBR (File menu?) Then I save changes.

When I reboot, Windows starts.

(On my X250, I tried a new hard drive, made the partitions and installed Windows. Now it's all working again. I still would love to know how to repair a broken installation.)
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2020, 10:31:37 pm »
Out of interest I have a Lenovo notebook that came with win 10 which I didn't want so I installed Zorin Linux on it and supposedly wiped out the win partitions.  On inspection, there is a very small Vfat primary partition at the start of the disk.  Maybe you both are hitting that partition which I assume is there to boot uefi windows.

Since I don't have, or want, win 10 I can't be of much more help than that.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2020, 01:07:16 am »
I boot ArcaOS installer on a USB stick, and to go the System Maintenance window. I'm not at an installer right now, so going from memory, I do the following

I enter Volume Management (Simple) or whatever to access the ArcaOS volume manager.

I rewrite the MBR (File menu?) Then I save changes.

When I reboot, Windows starts.

(On my X250, I tried a new hard drive, made the partitions and installed Windows. Now it's all working again. I still would love to know how to repair a broken installation.)

Hi, I did that. Boot with USB Flash, Maintenance Mode, Volume Magement, Rewrite MBR, Save, Reboot.

Airboot was gone, and on boot it only shows me a blinking cursor on the top. I guess it was trying to boot from the W10 partition.
On this sate I did:
1) Win10 USB Boot - Repair your computer -- Troubleshoot - Startup Repair. It failed and said "Starup Repair couldn't repair you PC".

2) Win10 USB Boot - Repair your computer -- Troubleshoot - Command line. (Tried this)
  - run chckdsk c: /f   - just in case
  - bootrec /FixMbr
  - bootrec /FixBoot
    -- Access is Denied
  - bootrec /ScanOs
    -- Scanning...
    -- Please wait...
    -- Successfully...
    -- Total Identified Windows Installations: 1
    -- [1] C:\Windows
    -- The operation completed successfully.
  - bootrec /RebuildBcd
    -- Scanning...
    -- Please wait...
    -- Successfully...
    -- Total Identified Windows Installations: 1
    -- [1] C:\Windows
    -- Add installation to boot list? Yes (Y)/No(N)/All(A)
    Pressed Y
    -- The operation completed successfully.

After all that, no Windows 10 boot.

I also tried the ""bootsect /nt60 sys"" on Win10 but I also get an "Access is denied" error.

After more reading I tried.
-- bootsect /nt60 sys /force
   got : Bootcode was successfully updated...

-- bootrec /FixBoot
   -- Access is denied.

Rebooted just in case.... Now I get.
"An Operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives...."

It still does not look good to find out what Airboot or ArcaOS did to break the Windows 10 boot.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2020, 01:26:35 am »
Hi Martin,

If you don't have the hidden vfat uefi boot partition at the start of the disk I don't  think you will get win 10 to boot.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2020, 05:56:09 am »
Hi Martin,

If you don't have the hidden vfat uefi boot partition at the start of the disk I don't  think you will get win 10 to boot.

It's documented that not giving Win10 an opportunity to create the boot partition will result in a system where Win10 boots from its main partition. Of course that might have changed and I can't remember where it is documented.