Author Topic: VM Parallel support inside OS/2  (Read 6957 times)

John

• View Profile
VM Parallel support inside OS/2
« on: August 11, 2020, 02:23:24 pm »
Hello!

I'm about to take the plunge and get AcraOS for my old ThinkPad T40. The only thing I use it for right now is connecting to an old fax/scanner (HP LJ 3100). I still want to use the fax machine going forward, but understand OS/2 will not have drivers. So I'm wondering if I ran a VM inside OS/2, is the parallel port support good enough to interface to the printer from the VM? If so, which one? I'll probably run NT 4.0 or 2000 in the VM.

Thanks!
AS/400 Hobbyist

Neil Waldhauer

• View Profile
    • Blonde Guy
Re: VM Parallel support inside OS/2
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 04:35:59 pm »
I'm thinking that Odin can probably run FAX software that would run in NT 4.0. Then the parallel port would likely work.

Didn't OS/2 have kick-ass FAX software in the past, though? I thought I remembered it as one of the reasons to switch from NT to OS/2.
Expert consulting for ArcaOS, OS/2 and eComStation
http://www.blondeguy.com

Sean Casey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 06:06:54 pm »
I occasionally use OS/2 PMfax (Keller Group, v.3.2h), now freeware, w. a serial Courier modem.  It's an excellent application.    I was having an intermittent hardware issue with my serial port using Vbox, but no issues using VMware.

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 09:38:04 pm »
I'm about to take the plunge and get AcraOS for my old ThinkPad T40. The only thing I use it for right now is connecting to an old fax/scanner (HP LJ 3100). I still want to use the fax machine going forward, but understand OS/2 will not have drivers. So I'm wondering if I ran a VM inside OS/2, is the parallel port support good enough to interface to the printer from the VM? If so, which one? I'll probably run NT 4.0 or 2000 in the VM.

Hi, you didn't say what VM application you intend to use inside ArcaOS (Virtual PC, SVista or VirtualBox) but enabling and configuring a parallel port is not the better idea ( if really possible with the versions available of this applications for OS/2). You should share the printer (fax) on the virtual network.

I think the better solution is forget the VM and send/receive faxes from ArcaOS with PMFax or with the complete FaxWorks Pro for OS/2. If there are no drivers for your internal modem, try an external serial or usb.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 05:13:57 pm »
Hi

I haven't touch a T40 in years.... maybe...maybe... the machine modem will work with the Lucent driver. That will make it possible to use PMFax on OS/2 instead of the fax/printer.

I haven't used the HP LaserPrinter 3100 to know exactly what is the functionality that takes the printer and which does the Operating System of the computer.
- Printing Documents (parallel port), may be possible from OS/2
- Scanning documents (parallel port)... uhm... not sure if it will work on OS/2 (I also have zero experience with parallel or SCSI scanners). The printer specs says it is TWAIN.

What else? Is it something like the printer get the fax and then you can see it as a scan document on the Computer? Is there some special software to create/send a fax on Windows and sends it over the Printer? Or something crazy that you can use the printer as a attached modem?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 05:19:01 pm »
Hi

About the other idea. To have like a Windows host with VirtualBox and ArcaOS running on a VM, and get parallel support. Since my machines no longer have parallel port and I no longer have a parallel port printer I think I can not test that.

The VirtualBox GUI does not shows parallel ports, but there are some forum discussion that you can enable LTP1 support with a command line.

That would be a nice experiment for someone that has the right hardware to try it out.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

John

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 09:35:31 pm »
I plan to use VirtualBox, unless people suggest a reason to use another VM. The fax/printer can only communicate over Parallel and only using its proprietary drivers, so TWAIN or more general purpose FAX products for OS/2 will not work.
AS/400 Hobbyist

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 01:26:17 am »
Might also want to test Virtual PC, from before MS bought them. Seems to be a copy here, https://winworldpc.com/product/virtual-pc/5x. Might work better on a T40 as VBox really likes to have a CPU and OS that supports virtualization extensions. Not sure about Parallel support in any virtual machine.

Renee Senger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 10:48:17 pm »
I plan to use VirtualBox, unless people suggest a reason to use another VM. The fax/printer can only communicate over Parallel and only using its proprietary drivers, so TWAIN or more general purpose FAX products for OS/2 will not work.

Parallels ports works well with VMWare but there is no VMWare for OS/2. VirtualBox has issues with parallel port support. It works for some users but not others. If you want to try there is a guide is in https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=54187