Author Topic: eSata  (Read 28330 times)

Pete

• View Profile
Re: eSata
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2020, 02:29:18 am »
Hi Per

Sorry, I see that Icy Box dropped eSATA support from that enclosure at some point - I have exactly that model but *with* eSATA capability - see attached photo - IcyBox.png - of part of box clearly showing USB3.0/eSATA capability.

Maybe you will find 1 on ebay...

Regards

Pete

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2020, 04:22:42 am »
Thanks, Pete.
For now I've ordered a similar cable as the one Roberto is using.
Will keep searching for an external eSATA enclosure though. Based on the comments that USB 3.0 is slow on our platform it's even more important.

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2020, 08:24:11 am »
Hi Per,

Just remember that cable gets the power for the drive from the USB connector and is therefore designed for 2.5 inch SSD drives - DON'T try and use it with a 3.5 inch drive, you will burn out the USB connector supplying the power and, depending on the computer design, maybe all the USB ports.

Did that and finished up having to replace the motherboard. 

Edit:
Though I should add a picture to show my cabling with a 3.5 inch drive (the red cable is a eSATA socket to be added to the new computer I'm building).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:34:19 am by ivan »

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2020, 02:51:56 pm »
FANTEC has a few on their site f.i. 225U3eSATAp-6G or fanbox FB-C25US2 or DB-228U3e. See
https://www.fantec.de/produkte/speicherprodukte/ssd-festplattengehaeuse/25-zoll-festplattengehaeuse/
But I hardly find shops where one of them is on stock.

There are more offers for 3.5" disks but as you're looking for SSD here are a few others -
https://geizhals.at/?cat=gehhd&xf=840_eSATA~840_eSATAp&asuch=&bpmin=&bpmax=&v=e&hloc=at&plz=&dist=&mail=&fcols=339&sort=p&bl1_id=30
or this one as overview without the 2.5" filter -
https://geizhals.at/?cat=gehhd&xf=840_eSATA

Didn't try one by myself though. Be aware, with OS/2 you need to attach the eSATA drive before booting. Think someone said it before but for me this is a big drawback compared to other OSes. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 03:05:12 pm by Andi B. »

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2020, 08:03:59 pm »
Thanks Ivan, I'm going to use SSD's, but good to know.

Thanks for links Andi.
I noticed that they mention eSATAp so they get power over eSATA and my system does only have eSATA port.

Anyway, I've asked a local computer reseller to come up with a solution.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2020, 10:16:46 am »
I noticed that they mention eSATAp so they get power over eSATA and my system does only have eSATA port.
I read that if no power is delivered over eSATA(p) then it works like eSATA. Power has to come over another channel then - external power supply or preferable USB. But again, I didn't test until now. Maybe the user manual of such device has something to say about that 'not so unusual' situation.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2021, 07:19:55 pm »
Just FYI,

I ended up with these:
 1 x USB 3.0 / eSATA Dual-Bay Trayless 3.5” SATA III Hard Drive
https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/s352bu33rer
and for using SSD's with it
2 x 2.5” to 3.5” SATA Aluminum Hard Drive Adapter Enclosure
https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/25sat35hdd

eSATA works fine but I have some issues with USB3 on this system.
(I've created at ticket about that AOS)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2021, 07:49:09 pm »
Thanks Per.

I know I may be annoying sometimes, but I made these two wiki pages:
- StarTech USB 3.0 / eSATA Dual-Bay Trayless 3.5” SATA III Hard Drive
- StarTech 2.5” to 3.5” SATA Aluminum Hard Drive Adapter Enclosure

Let me know if you want to add more about it, tricks, ArcaOS tweaks, rating, hardwareID, anything :)

Noob question, how eSATA works on ArcaOS? With the OS2AHCI driver?

Regards
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 07:57:48 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Per E. Johannessen

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2021, 09:19:38 pm »
Hi Martin,

Not annoying at all, I appreciate your work at os2world.com :)

Had no need install any drivers, the external SATA uses same driver as the internal SATA disks.

Had to create a volume when connected via USB as Airboot refused to boot when an empty/unpartioned disk was connected through eSATA.
After creating the volume and rebooting, using the eSATA cable, the drive behaves like any other internal SATA disk.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2021, 01:46:22 am »
Sorry, I see that Icy Box dropped eSATA support from that enclosure at some point - I have exactly that model but *with* eSATA capability - see attached photo - IcyBox.png - of part of box clearly showing USB3.0/eSATA capability.

Hi Pete

I had also added your device on the wiki: Icy Box IB-351StU3S-B 3.5-inch HDD Enclosure USB 3.0 - Black

Let me know if you want to add something.

Thanks
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2021, 05:19:43 pm »
Hi Martin

I think you should mention the following

1] eSATA works as per SATA ie must power off system to eject drive.

2] eSATA support was dropped at some point, I do not know when.

Regards

Pete

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2021, 08:05:31 pm »
1] eSATA works as per SATA ie must power off system to eject drive.

Not true. SATA and eSATA, are both hot plug technologies. Power off is not required to physically attach, or detach, either one. In OS/2 you MUST close out the file systems before detaching them (shut down the system). You can attach them, at any time, but in OS/2 you must reboot to get them recognized.

Note that some systems have a physical connector for eSATA, and the BIOS should, automatically, recognize that port as being for eSATA. Other systems may use an adapter (or just a cable) that plugs into a normal SATA connector on the motherboard. In that case, the BIOS should have a setting to tell it that the port is used with eSATA (but that doesn't seem to exist in all cases). In fact, that is only used with operating systems that recognize that eSATA can be plugged in, at any time, so it is irrelevant to OS/2.

I am not familiar with eSATA(p), so I don't know how the connector gets power for the external device. The devices, that I have, all use their own power source.

Not true. All that was dropped is the built in eSATA connectors. You can still use eSATA devices connected to normal SATA ports (see above).

ivan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2021, 10:19:51 pm »
I am not familiar with eSATA(p), so I don't know how the connector gets power for the external device. The devices, that I have, all use their own power source.

In all the systems I have seen the eSATA socket is beside a USB socket and in a couple of cases the manuals stated that the eSATA was for use with a 2.5inch drive powered from the USB socket - in fact one of them came with the connecting cable rather like the SATA/USB unit in the attached picture except the prime connector was eSATA with the USB power hanging off it.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2021, 12:19:59 am »

Not true. All that was dropped is the built in eSATA connectors. You can still use eSATA devices connected to normal SATA ports (see above).

Hi

I think that what Pete means is that newer versions of the Icy Box dropped the eSATA support and replaced it for USB3. Did I get it right?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Pete

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2021, 12:25:13 am »
Hi Doug

We are discussing an external drive case that used to have eSATA and USB3 sockets but which now only has USB3 socket - so there is no longer an option to use it as eSATA drive, it is now USB only.

Regards

Pete