Author Topic: Mic/Line in with UniAud (3.0.1)  (Read 7238 times)

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Mic/Line in with UniAud (3.0.1)
« on: January 16, 2022, 09:26:02 pm »
Hi,

The new build(s) of UniAud show more and more of the built in sound card (ATI HDA, ALC888) functionality with unimix.
I'd like to use the now enabled/recognized Mic in and/or Line in, but "Digital Audio" recorder and the os2tk45 "Audio Recorder Sample" and "Direct Audio" samples either stall the computer or the application. VoiceType therefore can't enable input.

Are there something to do?

Regards,
//Jan-Erik
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 10:01:25 pm by Jan-Erik Lärka »

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
Re: Mic/Line in with UniAud (3.0.1)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 12:53:50 am »
Hi Jan-Erik
The new build(s) of UniAud show more and more of the built in sound card (ATI HDA, ALC888) functionality with unimix.
I'd like to use the now enabled/recognized Mic in and/or Line in, but "Digital Audio" recorder and the os2tk45 "Audio Recorder Sample" and "Direct Audio" samples either stall the computer or the application. VoiceType therefore can't enable input.

To be honest - I don't know if the inputs work on any versions of Uniaud - it would be good to hear from anyone if they used to work.

It may also be that Uniaud needs to be 'taught' how to connect the MMPM inputs to the appropriate ALSA/Uniaud inputs...

I'll try do some research on this topic.

Edit: a couple of old bug reports.... https://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud/ticket/224 and https://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud/ticket/97 indicate these problems have been around for a while

Edit2: uniaud readme talks about using the /m switch to enable mic input - are you using this?
Code: [Select]
DEVICE=x:\MMOS2\UNIAUD16.SYS /V /C /M /L
  - /V - Verbose
  - /C - Enable CD output
  - /M - Enable Microphone output
  - /L - Enable Line-In output
Default: /C ((verbose messages; CD output enabled)

Cheers,

Paul
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 12:59:37 am by Paul Smedley »

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 01:25:05 am »
There's also aswitch.exe along with aswitchsetup.cmd, I believe on recent ArcaOS installs,
W:\MMOS2>aswitchsetup.cmd

ASwitch makes your USB ports act like a headphone jack.
 It switches audio output from your built-in sound system
 to your USB headphones or speakers whenever you plug them
 in, and restores the default as soon as you unplug them.

Would you like to install ASwitch? [y/n] n

Untested here, actually I thought it also enabled USB microphone
Sometime back I had a USB turntable that presented itself as an USB microphone which did work without any setup

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 01:29:22 am »
There's also aswitch.exe along with aswitchsetup.cmd, I believe on recent ArcaOS installs,
W:\MMOS2>aswitchsetup.cmd

ASwitch makes your USB ports act like a headphone jack.
 It switches audio output from your built-in sound system
 to your USB headphones or speakers whenever you plug them
 in, and restores the default as soon as you unplug them.

Would you like to install ASwitch? [y/n] n

Untested here, actually I thought it also enabled USB microphone
Sometime back I had a USB turntable that presented itself as an USB microphone which did work without any setup

Thinking out loud - I assume the Thinkpad T470s has a built-in mic - I guess I could try test with that....

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 08:23:48 am »
Hi Paul,
Hi Jan-Erik
To be honest - I don't know if the inputs work on any versions of Uniaud - it would be good to hear from anyone if they used to work.

It may also be that Uniaud needs to be 'taught' how to connect the MMPM inputs to the appropriate ALSA/Uniaud inputs...

I'll try do some research on this topic.

Edit: a couple of old bug reports.... https://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud/ticket/224 and https://trac.netlabs.org/uniaud/ticket/97 indicate these problems have been around for a while

Edit2: uniaud readme talks about using the /m switch to enable mic input - are you using this?
DEVICE=x:\MMOS2\UNIAUD16.SYS /V /C /M /L
  - /V - Verbose
  - /C - Enable CD output
  - /M - Enable Microphone output
  - /L - Enable Line-In output
Default: /C ((verbose messages; CD output enabled)

Cheers,

Paul
Yes, I think so too.

I have tried both /M (Microphone) and /L (Line input) but neither seem to make any difference on either of my machines.
VoiceType and the built in sound editor can't reach anything.
Even tried to reinstall Soundblaster Live 7.1 Card on the AMD desktop, with the only difference that it was unable use the built in card (even with parameter set in config.sys) and sb output could only handle one specific bit-rate audio output. No input there either.
One of your builds of uniaud32 enabled a bunch of controls in pmunimix, with line in/mic, but ...
Regards,
//Jan-Erik

Paul Smedley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 08:53:48 am »
OK... I will try and test with my Thinkpad T470s.... I'd love to know if mic/line in EVER worked with Uniaud.....

If you get a chance to run a 'testlog uniaud' with a debug driver, it would be interesting to see....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 08:59:13 am by Paul Smedley »

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 12:59:17 pm »
Debug version of UniAud used with /L /M options set in config.sys

Jan-Erik Lärka

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 01:51:21 pm »
and the laptop with debug build

I now tried the "Direct Audio" in "IBM Developer's Toolkit version 4.5" subfolder "Multimedia Sample Programs" and
played REC said bla bla bla, stopped it and played it back... with a lot of noise, but I could hear my own bla bla bla.
So can it use the internal mic perhaps?
"Audio Recorder" in the same "Multimedia Sample Programs" refuse however to work.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 02:05:21 pm by Jan-Erik Lärka »

Mentore

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 06:02:31 pm »
and the laptop with debug build

I now tried the "Direct Audio" in "IBM Developer's Toolkit version 4.5" subfolder "Multimedia Sample Programs" and
played REC said bla bla bla, stopped it and played it back... with a lot of noise, but I could hear my own bla bla bla.
So can it use the internal mic perhaps?
"Audio Recorder" in the same "Multimedia Sample Programs" refuse however to work.

IIRC Audio Recorder is an MMPM/2 software. This should mean it needs a Media Control Interface to work, which most probably isn't available with Uniaud.

DART, instead, seems working, albeit "with a lot of noise" as you say. My experiences in recording audio with OS/2 are terribly old so I don't remember if I used Uniaud or the old (but good) Soundblaster Live! drivers (or the horrible AWE64 drivers). You may find useful also PlayRec, a command-line utility which is also able to display the input level during recording.

Mentore