Author Topic: UEFI Boot Manager for 5.1  (Read 4427 times)

Sean Casey

• View Profile
UEFI Boot Manager for 5.1
« on: May 17, 2022, 01:07:15 am »
Is AN going to provide a UEFI capable boot manager with the upcoming 5.1 release?  While one of my ArcaOS/Linux computers will continue using GRUB 2, I have another computer where I would like to boot into two different GUID ArcaOS system partitions.

Dave Yeo

• View Profile
Re: UEFI Boot Manager for 5.1
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 02:21:32 am »
Yes, it is the plan. Can always use other boot managers such as rEFIND.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 09:44:44 am »
Is AN going to provide a UEFI capable boot manager with the upcoming 5.1 release?  While one of my ArcaOS/Linux computers will continue using GRUB 2, I have another computer where I would like to boot into two different GUID ArcaOS system partitions.

Being on the testteam of Arca Noae for ArcaOS 5.1. and seen Alex Taylor his presentation off ArcOS 5.1. I can say the following.
You can install ArcaOS on an MBR disk layout with UEFI boot. But this is approach has a lot technicall drawbacks. MBR I consider dead with all the limitations. It has GPT support and any dual boot with Windows 10/11 will require GPT support because WIndows 10, when installed on system booted in UEFI mode, Windows will only accept GPT disc layout.  If you have a current installation with Windows 10/7 with an MBR disc layout that can remain in that way.

With the arrival of GPT support a lot of old problems are wiped out for OS/2 users finally. And one of them is that you can basically use any disc editor on hard drive or any boot manager. And a bootmanager on UEFI is nothing special. Its  a menu that tells which OS you want to start. This means that old issue's with bootmanager no longer apply. No more primary partition needed and Airboot is also gone.

On a GPT hard drive you have a so called ESP partition. Every partition has its on so called GUID ID, which means that each partition has its own type. The ESP partition is a special type and ArcaOS or Windows puts its EFI file on this partition.  And via a UEFI bootmanager you select simply which EFI file gets loaded.  The AN bootmanager is called AN launcher.

Roderick

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2022, 06:13:10 pm »
Hi

I have a related doubt here. From what I understand on GPT partitioned HDD, AiR-BOOT will no longer work. AiR-BOOT is only for MBR, right? or did I get it wrong?

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Doug Bissett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2022, 06:22:15 pm »
Hi

I have a related doubt here. From what I understand on GPT partitioned HDD, AiR-BOOT will no longer work. AiR-BOOT is only for MBR, right? or did I get it wrong?

Regards

You are correct. Air Boot does not work with GPT. It is one of the things that needs to be replaced by a different boot manager.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 08:29:39 am »
Hi

Regards
AIRBoot also depends on the BIOS (CSM) to be present on an MBR boot with UEFI airboot will also not work. I am also not certain how well MBR/UEFI boot is supported by other operating systems.

Roderick