Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.1 - First Impressions  (Read 90455 times)

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
Re: ArcaOS 5.1 - First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2023, 03:58:52 am »
Hi Martin,

It's all in the testlog - Gigabyte B365M DS3H motherboard with i5-9600 CPU and 16GB RAM. Always build my own...

Regards,

Thanks David.
Let me know if you want to add something else: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Gigabyte_B365M_DS3H

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2023, 04:24:49 am »
I have a couple of observations ...

Thanks Eugene
I wrote these two pages, let me know anything you want to add.
- https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_TUF_Gaming_X550-Plus_(wi-fi)
- https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/ASRock_B550M-HDV

If you can generate the testlog report and share it here, it would be great.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 02:11:26 pm by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2023, 05:30:05 am »
Also, I thought I read that secure boot should be disabled in BIOS - is that not true?

Yes and no. Until you get AN's Secure Boot key registered, it has to be off because the system wll refuse to boot AOS. However while it's off, you'll be unable to boot any Win11 pre-install because they all (?) come with Secure Boot enabled (and the drive encrypted by Bitlocker). In fact, _don't_even_try_ unless you're ready to enter that gigantic Bitlocker key.

Enrolling the key manually is pretty easy on most full-featured desktop machines but usually impossible on laptops because their bare-bones firmware lacks a UI to do so. My understanding was that VOICE, not AN, was going to offer a utility to handle enrollment but perhaps things have changed. If the final product is the one I tested a while back, it's pretty easy to use.

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2023, 10:35:36 am »
I have a couple of observations in UEFI the ASRock B550M-HDV went as smooth as can be. The UEFI is simple and easy to navigate. Arca OS 5.08 will not install on this board in CSM and it was all installed to a fresh NVME drive. The MSI B550-A=Pro is still a no go for me.. It froze on the install just ofter the items selected claiming the there was no 32bit video address available. I will play with it some more but Ivan lucked out with this board. but it could be an Issue with the AM4 5700G. I did update the ASUS TUF Gaming X550-Plus (wi-fi) it went without a hitch. I will get around to trying it in UEFI mode soon. If you are looking for a AMD AM4 board I say the ASRock and the ASUS are both good bets. I can only offer a caution on the MSI. Oh yeah the ASRock has DVI, VGA and a HDMI port for video no display port.

Please note that the  ASRock B550M-HDV might be fixable. However in this forum we do not yet have the community knowledge to figure this out. The UEFI loader has code in it to remap PCI devices to work when the system is running in 32 bit address mode. When booted from the USB in the UEFI menu of ArcaOS (boot with own values). Press the key combination ALT F1 and choose to Write the two log files to the USB stick and open a ticket in the Arca Noae bug tracker. That way somebody can look at the logfile if its indeed the case the device can not be remapped. Or that the remap code has bug.  But reading these ArcaOS logs require somebody who understands these logs.

Roderick

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2023, 12:14:19 pm »
 Just noticed something weird on my new install of AN5.1 - hardware manager says I have 3 parallel ports! (only have 1) Didn't have that before when running the CSM - hmmm...

Regards,

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2023, 01:41:37 pm »
Roderick, it is the MSI board that I had a problem with the same one that Ivan install 5.07 on. the ASRock board worked very well with no issues..

Roderick Klein

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2023, 02:51:07 pm »
Oke wrong mainboard.

So the issue is with  MSI B550-A=Pro. You had the 32bit video memory error message. This is a new maiboard.
Again please open a ticket in https://mantis.arcanoae.com so AN can look into this if this is bug that needs to be fixed in the UEFI loader.
New code can contain bugs, so AN needs bug reports as they can not test all hardware.

Roderick

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2023, 03:31:22 pm »
Roderick, I will do when the site gets back up and working. I will play with some of the setting in the MSI board to see if it is a UEFI issue with a workaround. And I wil post the work around that I used. Ivan installed Arca OS 5.07 on it. It should work at least in CSM mode buts does not. Although I wil say that I get farther with the install with it in UEFI mode.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2023, 03:43:28 pm »
Roderick, I will do when the site gets back up and working. I will play with some of the setting in the MSI board to see if it is a UEFI issue with a workaround. And I wil post the work around that I used. Ivan installed Arca OS 5.07 on it. It should work at least in CSM mode buts does not. Although I wil say that I get farther with the install with it in UEFI mode.

Hi Eugene

I remember the MSI B550-A Pro conversation where Ivan reported it works (with ArcaOS 5.0.x) and you report that don't.
Ivan's report is here: https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/MSI_B550-A_Pro
I was wondering if you two can compare the UEFI BIOS versions. The latest version is very recent (2023-07-14). And it also would be great if Ivan can get some time to test ArcaOS 5.1 on it too with UEFI enabled.

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Eugene Tucker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2023, 04:53:43 pm »
Martin, I think we did compare versions of the UEFI. I started out with the same one and upgraded hoping that would relieve the issue. It did not. I have the latest one installed now. Still not working as of the triial this morning.

RTAN

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2023, 05:49:37 pm »
ArcaOS 5.1 installed without any issues on my IBM/Lenovo T60 with ATI Graphics. It auto-detected the onboard audio, onboard wired-LAN and onboard WiFi adapter. It connected to my wired-LAN and got a DHCP address and I can browse with Firefox just fine.

I can't get the WiFi to connect at the moment but that could be me - I'm new to ArcaOS so it's taking me a while to understand how to setup the WiFi connection.

Unfortunately it wouldn't even install on my Lenovo T490s. Even switching the BIOS back to full Legacy mode it won't install. It fails at various stages (depending on whether I set full UEFI, UEFI with CSM, or full Legacy mode) which I've documented and will log a ticket for AN once Mantis is back up and running.

Richard.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2023, 06:45:25 pm »
ArcaOS 5.1 installed without any issues on my IBM/Lenovo T60 with ATI Graphics. It auto-detected the onboard audio, onboard wired-LAN and onboard WiFi adapter. It connected to my wired-LAN and got a DHCP address and I can browse with Firefox just fine.

I can't get the WiFi to connect at the moment but that could be me - I'm new to ArcaOS so it's taking me a while to understand how to setup the WiFi connection.

Unfortunately it wouldn't even install on my Lenovo T490s. Even switching the BIOS back to full Legacy mode it won't install. It fails at various stages (depending on whether I set full UEFI, UEFI with CSM, or full Legacy mode) which I've documented and will log a ticket for AN once Mantis is back up and running.

Richard.

Richard,

At the moment mantis.arcanoae.com is up and running, unlike www.arcanoae.com. Maybe a different server?
So you should be able to open a ticket.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2023, 08:57:44 pm »

Hi Richard.

Did the Wifi used to work before on ArcaOS 5.0.x ?
On the information I got the "Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG adapter" worked with GenMAC
- https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_T60

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Rick Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2023, 06:49:53 am »
greetings,

Has anyone done the upgrade option for the install to 5.1?  I did a fresh install went perfectly however I would like to upgrade the machine that I use Arca on, and hoping not to have to redo the whole drive?

Rick

Jochen Schäfer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2023, 09:36:31 am »
I did a test update on my T420 and that worked great, but the installer doesn't switch the disk to GPT and doesn't add an EFI boot partition, but installs the EFI drivers.
So, I can boot via CSM or EFI (via the USB stick) and in EFI mode Win/OS2 will start.
I didn't test yet to convert the disk with Linux (GParted, DFSEE wants to delete all your partitions for the conversion) and add the EFI partition to it.