Author Topic: ArcaOS 5.1 - First Impressions  (Read 97718 times)

christech

• View Profile
Re: ArcaOS 5.1 - First Impressions
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2023, 05:52:16 pm »
Thanks David that’s a great idea. I couldn’t get Dos/Win to Work on my update. Will try this.

Tiny Frogware

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2023, 11:50:16 pm »
 Just wanted to let you guys know that I've successfully installed ArcaOS 5.1. I ended up creating a small EFI partition on the 20GB SSD that's installed in my Acer Ultrabook. Then, I created a primary partition using the remaining space on that same SSD which is where I installed a fresh copy of 5.1. This left me with the EFI and ArcaOS 5.1 on my SSD and once booted into the desktop, I backed up all of my personal stuff from the other HD in this laptop, a 500GB drive. Then I wiped it clean and formatted it as a JFS data drive. So, the end result is I have ArcaOS 5.1 running in UEFI and DOS and Win-OS/2 sessions are working perfectly for me now. This also gave me the opportunity to configure my system the way I should have originally, with ArcaOS on it's own fast SSD, D: drive and all my programs/data on a separate traditional HD, E: drive. It definitely boots faster thanks to the SSD.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
  • Your Friend Wil Declares...
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2023, 01:19:19 am »
Just wanted to let you guys know that I've successfully installed ArcaOS 5.1. ...

Hi Tony. Do you think it can be possible for you to please share the PCI.exe report? You can use pci.exe or Testlog.

I found two machines with your description. "Acer Aspire M5-581TG-53314G52Mass" and "Acer Aspire M5-581TG-9825" which one do you have?

If someone else want to report their hardware for the OS2World wiki, please write here or let me know.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 01:21:31 am by Martin Iturbide »
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster
... just share the dream.

Tiny Frogware

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2023, 01:27:26 am »
Hey Martin,

Yes, I'll be glad to share a report but it will be tomorrow before I can get to it.

I have the Acer Aspire M5-581TG-9825 machine.

Thanks!

Tony.

David Graser

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2023, 04:04:09 am »
Installed 5.1.  First impressions are that it boots up faster than the previous versions.  Cannot wait for the new XWP that Rich is working on.

When using YUM, why not have FM2 listed under Warpin that can be downloaded and installed. List other Warping installations that can be installed that are not already. I had to find my copy.  I am lost without it since I have been using it ever since I found OS/2 many many years ago.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 04:05:48 am by David Graser »

Tiny Frogware

« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2023, 10:38:24 pm »
Martin,

Attached below is my Testlog file as you requested. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Best wishes,

Tony.

Andi B.

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2023, 09:13:40 am »
Installed 5.1.  First impressions are that it boots up faster than the previous versions. ....
Why do you think it boots faster? Did you measure a difference? Do you have any idea what's changed to make it faster?

I cant think of anything else except accidentally waiting on IP address (dhcpstart with wrong parameter) in config.sys which can make booting other ArcaOS installation slower. Puzzling.....

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2023, 02:37:57 pm »
  Attached below is my Testlog file as you requested. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Thanks Tony.
Let me know if the info is corrected and anything else you want to add:
https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Acer_Aspire_M5-581TG-9825

Regards
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

robbiec

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2023, 02:55:23 pm »
Installed ok on a newish Ryzen System with CSM disabled. - Ryzen 2300, Asus WS-Pro X570, 32GB, 500GB Hynix NVMe SSD. It gave trouble with the Realtek 8117 NIC which I disabled and also generated a halt / exception if I tried installing with an Intel Optane 905 U.2 drive attached. Intel I211AT working, and Nvidia Quadro P200 serving up graphics using Panorama. Sound not functional.
I've attached the pci report below. 

Edit: Can replicate the NVMe exception if I power on the Intel Optane using U.2 interface.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 03:09:38 pm by robbiec »

Tiny Frogware

« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2023, 03:43:54 pm »
Thanks Tony.

Regards

Hey Martin,

I made a mistake on the model number that I posted earlier. It's actually an Acer Aspire M5-581T-6405. The main difference is that it has a 1.8GHz Core i5-3337U processor with TurboBoost able to push it to 2.7GHz if needed.

Here's a couple of links to articles about my laptop if you need more info.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/acer-aspire-m5-581t-6405

https://laptoping.com/acer-aspire-m5-581t-6405.html

Hope this helps and sorry for the mixup with the model number.

Thanks Martin!

Tony.

Martin Iturbide

• OS2World NewsMaster
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Martin's Personal Blog
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2023, 07:17:29 pm »
Thanks Tony.

Regards

Hey Martin,

I made a mistake on the model number that I posted earlier. It's actually an Acer Aspire M5-581T-6405. The main difference is that it has a 1.8GHz Core i5-3337U processor with TurboBoost able to push it to 2.7GHz if needed.

Here's a couple of links to articles about my laptop if you need more info.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/acer-aspire-m5-581t-6405

https://laptoping.com/acer-aspire-m5-581t-6405.html

Hope this helps and sorry for the mixup with the model number.

Thanks Martin!

Tony.

No problem, it is fixed now:
- https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Acer_Aspire_M5-581T-6405
Martin Iturbide
OS2World NewsMaster

Tiny Frogware

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2023, 08:00:50 pm »

No problem, it is fixed now:
- https://www.os2world.com/wiki/index.php/Acer_Aspire_M5-581T-6405

Look good! Much appreciated Martin!

Best wishes,

Tony.

David McKenna

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2023, 11:02:47 pm »
 Here's another success story (eventually). I have an HP Laptop 17-by2053cl with Windows 11 on it , UEFI only, previously upgraded to 16GB RAM and SSD drive. Wanted ArcaOS 5.1 on it too. Tried to install with a DVD but it would not boot, so made a USB stick, and boot would start, but then hang immediately after the boot logo. Eventually figured out that it didn't like AMOUSE.SYS, so switched to IBM's MOUSE.SYS and boot continued to the WPS, but then I got a 'ISO not found' error when the WPS started.. Fiddled with it for too long, but figured out that if I remove the USB stick and re-insert at the right moment before the WPS started, then the install started, but then it could not find any disk to install on. Turns out the install did not detect the SATA adapter (because it is technically a RAID adapter, though in non-RAID mode) so I was finally stuck.

Then I found out there is an NVME slot in this laptop! So I got a 1TB one ($45) and transferred Win11 over to it and left a nice big 450GB unallocated space for ArcaOS. Made sure Win worked, then restarted installing ArcaOS using lessons learned up to now and it recognized the NVME drive as GPT and installed, although I had to do the remove/re-insert trick with the USB stick at each boot. Now ArcaOS was installed - woohoo! But...

When I rebooted with no USB stick attached, I got a 'Your system needs to be Repaired' blue screen of confusion. It took me a while to figure out I needed to go into the BIOS to set the ArcaOS EFI as the default. Now the Arca EFI boot list appeared and I could boot ArcaOS 5.1 and it worked - Wow! Even more amazing, it now recognized the SATA drive, and I could format it FAT32 to use as storage for both OS's. But...

Rebooted and tried to boot  Windows, but again the 'Repair' blue screen. Tried doing repairs as per various Internet sites, but nothing worked, so finally just re-installed Windows 11 (from DVD). That worked and now I can switch between the 2 OS's at will using the ArcaOS EFI menu.

And I have to say that this laptop works great with ArcaOS (and Windows) now that it is installed on an NVME. If only ArcaOS had WiFi <sigh>.

I'll upload a testlog too...

Regards,

« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 11:06:47 pm by David McKenna »

christech

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2023, 11:03:54 pm »
I was able to sort of get windowed DOS sessions working. Full screen DOS sessions work fine for me now. I found a thread here that suggested opening a full screen DOS window and ALT+Tab to make it a windowed and it worked!

Rich Walsh

• ONU! (OS/2 is NOT Unix!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2023, 11:32:04 pm »
I was able to sort of get windowed DOS sessions working. Full screen DOS sessions work fine for me now.

You didn't identify whether you're booting in CSM or UEFI mode - it makes a world of difference. If UEFI, you've got a real problem; if CSM, this is par-for-the-course.