• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS Shutdown Not Working Properly

Started by Dennis, 2008.12.31, 17:31:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis

When I shutdown my notebook, (eCS 2.0rc6) here's what happens:
   1. Click on Shutdown on dropdown menu
   2. ECS Extended Shutdown Window
          Shutdown Only radio button is clicked
   3. Click OK
   4. System starts shutting down, screen goes to black with thin blue line that turns white as it contracts into a dot and disappears. There is NO indication that it's OK to turn off the system, just a black screen.
   5. I power off the system. When I do this, there is HDD activity, which there shouldn't be.  The next time I turn it on, it goes thru CHKDSK as if the system was not properly shut down.

How do I get Shutdown to work properly?

Thanks in advance.

DougB

Go to the Desktop properties-> eShutdown tab, and turn OFF Animation before shutdown (before reboot still works, but I turn that off too).

Dennis

Turning off Animation Before Shutdown didn't work. System hung until I pushed the ON/Off button, then disk activity, then went off.

Pete

Hi Dennis

Just installed RC6a to a Dell Latitude X300, reasonably successfully, but have exactly the same Shutdown problem you describe including the disk activity when I push the Power button to power off.

I expect to see the jfs "quick" chkdsk on every boot as the system is using bootableJFS and so far the system has not run a "full" chkdsk at boot suggesting that the system was ready for Power Off but had failed to do so automatically.

Turning off the "animation" certainly does nothing to power off the system or give any indication that it should be manually powered off.

If I press Ctrl-Alt-Del at this point I get the CAD software onscreen so the system is not ready to be powered off.

I filed an eCS Bug Report on this; might help if you comment on it http://bugs.ecomstation.nl/view.php?id=2348

You need to login at ecomstation.com and then open the BugTracker *before* trying to access the above url.

Regards

Pete

Dennis

Thanks, Pete. I'll do just that.

DavidG

Quote from: Dennis on 2008.12.31, 17:31:28
When I shutdown my notebook, (eCS 2.0rc6) here's what happens:
   1. Click on Shutdown on dropdown menu
   2. ECS Extended Shutdown Window
          Shutdown Only radio button is clicked
   3. Click OK
   4. System starts shutting down, screen goes to black with thin blue line that turns white as it contracts into a dot and disappears. There is NO indication that it's OK to turn off the system, just a black screen.
   5. I power off the system. When I do this, there is HDD activity, which there shouldn't be.  The next time I turn it on, it goes thru CHKDSK as if the system was not properly shut down.

How do I get Shutdown to work properly?

Thanks in advance.

I had this happen with RC4.  Nothing worked except a new install.  Once installed again, everything worked fine.  I hate to mention this because what worked for me may not work for others. 

David

RobertM

It sounds like it is hanging before the final file system purge and disk shutdown. That could be an INI error, or a setting that needs to be changed for your configuration. There is something in the notes from earlier releases regarding it (not at my OS/2 machine at the moment to check).

I've found (until you get it fixed) that hitting CAD once the screen goes blank, and shutting it off when you get to the BIOS (or allowing it to reboot) seems to avoid the checkdisk issue as it forces a purge for the reboot.

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

DavidG

Guys, FWIW, eStyler shutdown is still there, just turned off by default.  There is a way to enable the estyler shutdown that is disabled in RC6A.  You will need to install the modified estyler files by Alex Taylor.  He has fixed the problem of shutting down with ACPI installed.

To install either one, replace the three DLLs under \ecs\dll with the ones from the package, and also replace \ecs\system\estyler\estyler.exe (then reboot). (estlrl11.dll will have to be unlocked first.)

example: from a command prompt, type

unlock <drive letter>:\ecs\dll\*.*

and then hit enter.

Once the files are replaced, reboot and run "estlrsh" from a command prompt.

Be sure and turn off the Eworkplace shutdown on the Desktop properties page.

Pete

Hi David

Glad to hear eStyler has been fixed. I would like to give it a try... do you have a url for the modified files?

Regards

Pete

DavidG

ecs bugtracker,  ticket number 1527, estlr1177_rel.zip

David

DavidG

Quote from: Pete on 2009.01.03, 04:12:41
Hi David

Glad to hear eStyler has been fixed. I would like to give it a try... do you have a url for the modified files?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

I just tried it on my eCS partition that would not shutdown properly with EWorkplace shutdown.  eStyler shutdown does the job.

David

Criguada

Hi David!

Quote from: DavidG on 2009.01.03, 17:46:53
Quote from: Pete on 2009.01.03, 04:12:41
Hi David

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

I just tried it on my eCS partition that would not shutdown properly with EWorkplace shutdown.  eStyler shutdown does the job.

David

If he was able to fix the problem, why is it so difficult to fix eWP (or XWP) shutdown? This bug has been here for ages... Did he share the changes he made to his code with other developers?
I'd prefer to have eWP's shutdown fixed rather than using eStyler shutdown. eWP shutdown is much more configurable and powerful IMO.

Bye
Cris

DavidG

Hi Cris

You may want to read ticket 1527.  Whether the code in eStyler can be used in EWP too, I have no idea.

David

Pete

Hi David

Thanks for the url.

I'm very pleased to report the fixes do the job on my non-e(x)WP system, eStyler Shutdown has managed 2 * Reboots and 2 * Power Offs with no failures; the notebook (with eWP installed) also Powers Off fine.

Not being an e(x)wP user myself (notebook mentioned belongs to son) I feel an urgent need to jump into that Bugtracker discussion and verbally give someone "the knee" over the idea that eShutdown should be the *only* shutdown with eStyler being totally discarded. Sadly it does not look like the discussion can be reopened so I posted to the TestTeam instead.

Hopefully someone at eCS will come to realise that eShutdown is *no use* on a system that does not have eWP installed.

Regards

Pete