• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Solutions based on eComStation

Started by saborion2, 2008.05.02, 22:22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

saborion2

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/18000/2/
QuotePosted by Eugene Gorbunoff - Wednesday, 30 April 2008

Welcome. .. .

Interesting article/information to note about eComStation; but, what happens when Netlabs' VOYAGER with an "64 Bit Kernel" (or ORION's Cassini) arrives?  8)

Best regards.

SAB.

RobertM

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.05.02, 22:22:02
http://www.os2world.com/content/view/18000/2/
QuotePosted by Eugene Gorbunoff - Wednesday, 30 April 2008

Welcome. .. .

Interesting article/information to note about eComStation; but, what happens when Netlabs' VOYAGER with an "64 Bit Kernel" (or ORION's Cassini) arrives?  8)

When Voyager arrives, nothing happens - except it extends the viability of eCS/Warp. As for Cassini, that currently isnt a solution, nor can anyone at IBM seem to confirm the rather large amount wanted to license the code has been paid by anyone for an OS/2 release (dont get me wrong... that doesnt mean that someone there cant confirm it - IBM can be rather disjointed at times - thus either way, at this point, I'd rather see a "from the ground up" new solution that fits that bill, or something based off Symphony/OOo and other Open Source initiatives. I'd rather not be locked into something that may be obsoleted by future releases that never get ported).

So, I'm more concerned with what the article and website are about... current solutions (ones either complete or at least in beta) - as well as the web page's related page - which is Companies who use eCS or sell solutions that run on it. The link can be found here: http://en.ecomstation.ru/solutions/?action=companies or by clicking on the COMPANIES" link on the Solutions page from the eComstation.ru site.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

RobertM

The neat thing I see in the Solutions list, is there are some cool things I'd like to see made available to the OS/2 community - the problem I am sure is cost, and the way it will affect those companies' bottom lines (for it being available for next to nothing for regular users).

There was an amazing text to speech system written for OS/2 (by Elan) which sadly never materialized, while apparently, there is a custom one available as of 2006...

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

saborion2

When Voyager arrives, nothing happens - except it extends the viability of eCS/Warp. As for Cassini, that currently isnt a solution, nor can anyone at IBM seem to confirm the rather large amount wanted to license the code has been paid by anyone for an OS/2 release (don't get me wrong... that doesn't mean that someone there cant confirm it - IBM can be rather disjointed at times - thus either way, at this point, I'd rather see a "from the ground up" new solution that fits that bill, or something based off Symphony/OOo and other Open Source initiatives. I'd rather not be locked into something that may be obsoleted by future releases that never get ported).

Thank you very much for the observations.

Anyway; FYI, "Cassini" (at least for the time being) is intended to be based on the
QuoteEnterprise Warp Concept
that (from all appearances) was. So, therefore the basic idea is to perpetuate the "ideals" that may have been/can be attributed/associated to the
QuoteEnterprise Warp Concept

At least, that's how
QuoteOliver Mark
formerly with IBM, Germany; but
Quotewho now works for Intel
described it. 8)

All for your information.

regards.

SAB.

RobertM

Thanks... as I tried to say, IBM's lack of organization in such respects is sad. Someone should know something and be able to direct people to the right people.

Hence, the community movement I guess. So, I guess it is (as it has been for years) up to the community, to chart OS/2's future course. Not necessarily a bad thing - though definitely something that will take a lot of effort and resources that I hope the community can come up with.

The thing I see as good is the more current solutions based off OS/2 listed on sites like the one in the article, the more viable OS/2 seems to new potential customers (for either a general purpose OS, or for a custom solution like our customers).

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

saborion2

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.05.02, 23:49:40
Thanks... as I tried to say, IBM's lack of organization in such respects is sad. Someone should know something and be able to direct people to the right people.

Hence, the community movement I guess. So, I guess it is (as it has been for years) up to the community, to chart OS/2's future course. Not necessarily a bad thing - though definitely something that will take a lot of effort and resources that I hope the community can come up with.

The thing I see as good is the more current solutions based off OS/2 listed on sites like the one in the article, the more viable OS/2 seems to new potential customers (for either a general purpose OS, or for a custom solution like our customers).

Robert

Please see the below attached Inter-American Development Bank news article as to why it is firmly believed that certain
QuoteSolutions based on eComStation
Re: COMFETAR LIVE for OS/2-eComStation will be in the "running" (are in for a very, very big chance.  ;D

Fewer Latin Americans sending money home from the United States, survey finds 

http://www.iadb.org/NEWS/articledetail.cfm?artid=4595&language=En

The strategies being - The Economic Empowerment of Latin Americans through to power of the internet (re: their involvement in e-Commerce/e-Business activities et cetera, et cetera....)   ;) 8)

Regards.

SAB

RobertM

Well, let's get back to the topic - or make another thread... currently COMFETAR LIVE is not a solution for OS/2. Hopefully one day.

Let's discuss current solutions for OS/2 and how they can be leveraged to increase the viability of OS/2 either in specific markets, or in general.

And possible future solutions, since valid in that respect, should probably be discussed as well... SAB, why not start a new thread about future possible solutions for OS/2, and spell out the advantages they will bring to OS/2 (ie: no links, except to support statements made - and instead how we all think they can be advantageous... a lot of people dont like reading between the lines for something that may or may not be said in external links).

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

saborion2

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.05.03, 23:57:56
Well, let's get back to the topic - or make another thread... currently COMFETAR LIVE is not a solution for OS/2. Hopefully one day.

Let's discuss current solutions for OS/2 and how they can be leveraged to increase the viability of OS/2 either in specific markets, or in general.

And possible future solutions, since valid in that respect, should probably be discussed as well... SAB, why not start a new thread about future possible solutions for OS/2, and spell out the advantages they will bring to OS/2 (ie: no links, except to support statements made - and instead how we all think they can be advantageous... a lot of people don't like reading between the lines for something that may or may not be said in external links).

Robert

Hi Robert,

Believe it or not; and, technically speaking, COMFETAR LIVE is implementable today (note carefully that Mr. Message upon the LIVE or Real-Time aspect of the solution is based - meaning that individuals, regardless of their location can collaborate, coordinate and cooperate with colleagues in any part of the world in real-time; thus, the most recent release IBM's Lotus SmartSuite for OS/2 among others, combined with the appropriate Real-Time application is what "COMFETAR-LIVE" all about; and, these are all available today with the port of "certain" applications previously mentioned in other threads being the "Icing-On-Cake"    - with the emerging markets in Latin America and Caribbean being the playing fields; and, we just can't wait to pull our "business consultancy team" together.  ;)

Now, please don't tell me (us) that there are no Lotus SmartSuite and Mr. Magic for OS/2-eComStation!  ;D

Regards,

SAB.

RobertM

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.05.04, 01:20:37
Believe it or not; and, technically speaking, COMFETAR LIVE is implementable today
Regards,

SAB.

Implementable - but not yet implemented - thus not a solution - yet. So let's move that discussion to the appropriate thread (or create a new one), where we can discuss that and other things that are implementable (but not yet implemented) and what needs to be done to get them to that point, so eventually we can discuss them in this thread.

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|