• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

FAT32 0.9.12 fix1

Started by Saijin_Naib, 2008.05.08, 05:00:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Saijin_Naib

Why cant OS/2, eCS, support Large-Floppy Formatted FAT32 drives? This is becoming a major frustration as my Olympus M:robe will only format as such, and as such, I can't access the music or pictures it holds from under OS/2 :C

Is this something I have mis configured, is this something that eventually could be added?

RobertM

I dont understand... there should be a method. I use a 300GB USB via FAT32 on WSeB with eCS 1.2MR's drivers...

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Can you take a look at that drive with DFSEE and see if it is formatted as a FAT32 large removable floppy? DFSEE gave me a warning when I mounted the M:robe and said explicitly "This will NOT work under OS/2 eCS". I dont know why. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

RobertM

Hmmm... maybe that is the difference... but no, I cant check out the drive right now... maybe later (dont have it... my bro and I run around with it to do client backups and such... currently he is doing the running around with it).

I do know I formatted the drive from XP (or left it preformatted - dont remember which).

When I get it back I will check it out. I reinstalled the eCS and WSeB machines I had it hooked to - one has FAT32 reinstalled, the other no longer does... but I will try to duplicate the setup and see what worked for me.

The only thing I can tell you is that it was not the most recent version of FAT32 I was using (it was one of the ones that exhibitted a trap/crash if I did not properly unmount the media before unplugging - but not sure which).

Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

DavidG

Quote from: RobertM on 2008.05.08, 05:26:29
I dont understand... there should be a method. I use a 300GB USB via FAT32 on WSeB with eCS 1.2MR's drivers...

An excellent VOICE article worth reading:

http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_2.html

RobertM

Excellent! Thanks David!! I think that's what I need to re-enable FAT32 on this machine and help Saijin resolve his issues as well!

Thanks again,
Robert

|
|
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

Saijin_Naib

Thanks indeed David. I have finally (successfuly) restored my M:robe to functioning by reformatting it as a proper drive with a full MBR, not just a drive formatted as a Large Removable Floppy. I'm pretty sure this is what will prevent LVM from mounting my volume. All that remains is to test this out later in eCS to be certain.

Robert, can you still check out your FAT32 drive if you get the chance? I'm still interested in seeing how it is set up.

Here is what DFSEE says about my M:robe now (Drive 3, the bottom one)

Pete

Hi All

The easy way to get usb drives working with eCS is to use LVM to create a volume - especially if you are talking about >2Gb flash drives which lose a lot of storage capability if treated as a large (2Gb) floppy.

If you select drive letter carefully when creating a volume it should always get the same drive letter whenever it is attached; I decided to reserve drive letters M: through P: inclusive for USB drives as they are not already in use here.

There is a lot of useful info in the previously mentioned "USB Removables Care and Feeding FAQs" (http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_2.html). That FAQ is also included in the USBcfg Help - mainly because I thought it would be handy to have the FAQ immediately to hand when "sorting out" USB drives - especially fat32 jobbies.

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

I did that pete, and now the drive is a full fat32 volume with proper partition and LVM information, yet OS/2 still REFUSES to mount it properly. I'm at my wits end, I dont want to mess it up again because the mr500i is VERY sensitive to changes in partitioning and will refuse to boot :\

Can you see anything wrong with my drive configuration based upon what info is shown in the DFSEE screenshot?

Pete

Hi Saijin_Naib

Sorry, I cannot spot an obvious problem there - I do wonder if a volume label of "Olympus M:" may cause some sort of problem though.

If you have a Registered version of DFSee you can always email support and enlist Jan's help - probably the best qualified person to help  :-)

Regards

Pete

Saijin_Naib

Ah yes, I am sure he is, but the registration cost of DFSEE is a bit much for me to swallow at this point. I'm still struggling with deciding to get Software Subscription service again or not, and I really can't afford too much outgoing expenses.

I took your advice Pete, and changed the volume label to just mrobe in the hope that that has something to do with it. I have not had a chance to test this out yet, I'm doing work in XP for right now.

John

Hi,

Just to say thanks for all the help in this thread, I've now managed to get all my Flash and Thumbdrives working and utilizing their full capacity by following the instructions pointed out in the link by David. I suspect with drives that prove to be troublesome such as my Transcend JF V30 / 1Gb - the only way is to "Wipe" the disk clean first with DFSee. That seemed to cure my problems.

Cheers,

John.

Saijin_Naib

I got my M:robe working after much tweaking with DFSEE, but now, when I tried to copy around 500mb of songs (only 3 files though) to the M:robe it causes a crash in FAT32 that caused my device to stop improperly and PMSHELL to crash/reset.

Edit: After tweaking with threads/shared memory I seem to have things much more pleasant for OS/2. Right now, I'm in the process of transferring all 18gb or so of music from my computer to the M:robe and its going well, albeit at a snails pace. The driver could certainly stand some speed improvements, but to be fair, I have the lazy-write daemon turned off.