• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

eCS 1.2R/USB 2.0

Started by OriAl, 2008.05.14, 03:58:47

Previous topic - Next topic

OriAl

I added a four port USB 2.0 card to my system, which has two USB 1.1 ports.  Will eCS handle USB 2.0?   What do I need to add to config.sys for these ports?  My first USB device will be an external drive.

Thanks,

Pete

Quote from: OriAl on 2008.05.14, 03:58:47
I added a four port USB 2.0 card to my system, which has two USB 1.1 ports.  Will eCS handle USB 2.0?   What do I need to add to config.sys for these ports?  My first USB device will be an external drive.

Thanks,

Hi OriAl

If you have added a 4 port USB2 card you have 4 ports that can all be USB2/USB1 or a mixture thereof.

It is the controllers and the device attached that determine whether the port is handling USB1 or USB2.

Download, install and run http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

The very 1st page of USBcfg (configuration notebook) will show how many of what type of controllers are available on the system - the Controllers Available bit. You should set Controller Drivers Installed to exactly the same, check the rest of your USB configuration, Exit the configuration notebook and reboot.

As to whether any of the USB stuff will work the answer is Yes - if you have fairly recent USB and IDE (Danis506.add + Daniatap.flt + recent IBM IDE update) drivers. If you plan on using fat32 formatted USB drives you will need a recent fat32 driver installed.

You may want to have a look through the USBcfg Help to get a handle on some of the parameters used by USB drivers and the Help also contains an FAQ on Removable USB drives that you might find of use.

Regards

Pete

OriAl

Thanks.

Can those drives be formatted with a different file system, possibly with Dfsee?

DavidG

Quote from: OriAl on 2008.05.14, 22:37:24
Thanks.

Can those drives be formatted with a different file system, possibly with Dfsee?

Yes they can.  For those of us that share files between different operating systems, we prefer FAT32.  DFSee can format FAT32 or use Windows to format.

eComStation itself can format the USB drive FAT, HPFS, or JFS.

If you go with FAT32, you will need to install the latest FAT32 driver

ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/fat32/fat32_09121.wpi

David

OriAl

Can they be partitioned like internal drives, with different file systems on the various partitions?

I primarily want to use it to save backed-up disk images created by DFSEE.

Pete

Hi OriAl

The answer is Yes, you can create several volumes on a USB drive.

I have not used several different filesystems on a multi-volume USB drive but would expect it to work.

You can use DFSee to format a volume, or several, with fat32 - not sure what other formats it performs offhand.

Regards

Pete

OriAl

Usbcfg didn't show all the ports I should have (should be six - two 1.1 on motherboard, 4 2.0 on new card.)  It shows 1 EHCI, 0 OHCI,  and 4 UHCI .  Driver revision 10.162 for all. 2 UHCI drivers installed.

Pete

Quote from: OriAl on 2008.05.18, 00:38:39
Usbcfg didn't show all the ports I should have (should be six - two 1.1 on motherboard, 4 2.0 on new card.)  It shows 1 EHCI, 0 OHCI,  and 4 UHCI .  Driver revision 10.162 for all. 2 UHCI drivers installed.

Hi OriAl

USBcfg shows absolutely Nothing about the number of Ports on a system.

You are getting confused between Ports - where you plug in a USB device - and Controllers.

As stated previously: -

If you have added a 4 port USB2 card you have 4 ports that can all be USB2/USB1 or a mixture thereof.

It is the controllers and the device attached that determine whether the port is handling USB1 or USB2.

Example: I have an Asus M2N mainboard.

This has 1 EHCI and 1 OHCI controller onboard.

I currently have 9 ports available for use; 4 on rear of system box, 3 on front and 5 built into my Dell 1707FP monitor - Yes, that comes to 12 but:-

1 rear port and 1 monitor port are used to hook up the monitor hub to the system box and 1 rear port is occupied fulltime by my trackball so I have not counted those 3 ports as available.  I can add more if I want but 9 is probably more than enough for now  :-)

Looking at your post I would guess that your addin USB card has 1 EHCI and, probably, 2 UHCI controllers with the other 2 UHCI controllers being on the mainboard?

Simple advice is to follow what the USBcfg hint says when you leave the mouse over the entryfield for the number of EHCI or UHCI controllers "Set to the same value as displayed by the Available Quantity". In your case:-
EHCI 1
UHCI 4

When you have made the above changes (and any other changes you want to make) and exited USBcfg you will find that after a reboot all the Controllers will be active.

Might be worth your time to have a read through the USBcfg Help - took me long enough to put it together  ;-)

Have fun

Pete

OriAl

Thank you. 

I had looked at the help file, and will look some more.

OriAl

The usbcfg help file is good.  My brain still isn't. 

The external drive arrived.  It's 500 gig (way more than I need, but my computer-fixing friend bought it for me, and it was on sale.  I can't do fixing, as I'm quadriplegic, with other health issues), formatted NTFS, with a few Win utilities on it.   My friend plugged it into a port in the add-on card, which should be 2.0, as it's a USB 2.0 card.  Can usbcfg or eCS tell me if it's seeing the drive as USB 2.0 or 1.1 (did I miss this in the help file?)  eCS found the drive (can't read it), but DFSee in eCS doesn't see it, and I don't know what to do about that..

Thank you, as always.

Saijin_Naib

Try running USBdock from programs->utils, it should tell you about the device.

Assign the drive a letter using minilvm or lvmgui (run->) and then re-attach it. That solved my issue with my cell-phone not being mounted.

OriAl

I'll try that, but I presume  it still won't be readable, being NTFS. 

Actually, eCS gave it a drive letter (O:), though my last partition is M: 

Pete

Hi OriAl

There is a NTFS driver for eCS - but do not bother with it as it is not any use.

Your best bet is to delete the existing partition(s), create new Volume(s) and then format it (them) with a usable file system.

If you need to share the drive between different operating systems then I guess the best answer is fat32 but I think that would require multiple volumes as there is a disk size limit - I think. Check the FAQ in the USBcfg help for some guidance there.

If you do not need compatibility between operating systems then just create 1 large volume and format it using JFS.

Regards

Pete

OriAl

I need it with multiple OSes, probably. despite my limited knowledge of all of them (OS/2 is my best, and I know I'm not that knowledgeable.).  I definitely need a Fat32 partition, as the DFSEE CD reads that, and I want to create disk images as backups.  So I was thinking leave part as NTFS, and create a FAT32 and a JFS partition.  Or can I just boot to XP, and format the whole thing Fat32?

I see the Fat32 driver is a wpi.  It's fairly easy to install?

Will eCS work with a Belkin USB hub?

Thank you,

Alan

Pete

Hi OriAl

There is a size limit for fat32 partitions which varies a bit according to which version of Windows is in use but I do not think any of them go as high as 500Gb. You should check up on that limit before deciding what file systems and partition sizes to use.

Yes, the fat32 wpi package is easy to install.

A USB hub is purely hardware so there is no reason for any USB capable operating system to not work with it.

Regards

Pete