• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

Doscall1.dll

Started by Carlo_Warp, 2008.05.15, 14:56:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo_Warp

After having uninstalled the Fat 32.Ifs driver (I wanted to replace it with the last one), I rebooted the computer and I got this message: "The system cannot load the DLL Doscall1 that is needed to start the system.

I am using eCS 2.0 RC1. How can I solve the matter?

One more question: is anybody coming to Duesseldorf for the Developers Workshop of this weekend?

Thanks in advance

rudi

Yes, I'll be there !

Pete

Hi Carlo_Warp

Why uninstall whichever version of the fat32 driver? - just overwrite with files from the package you want to use.

Check config.sys has a LibPath entry for [YourBootDriveLetter]:\os2\dll

Check the file exists in the above location.

Is it possible that the system crashed before Shutdown/Reboot? - If "Yes" you need to chkdsk the drive; Yes, that can cause file read problems as above. Boot from the RC1 CD and use the Management Console to run chkdsk against the drive.

I would love to come to Duesseldorf for the Developers Workshop but lack of finances prevent my attendance... have a good time  :-)

Pete

Radek

DOSCALL1 is not a DLL, it's a part of the operating system. This "DLL" is responsible for most of CP calls. Guessing possible causes:
- corrupted system kernel, not very probable.
- the IFS uses it's own doscall1.dll, for example, for hooking CP calls. The IFS marked its DLL a system dll but the uninstaller forgot to remove the entry from user.ini . When the system starts, is sees that it has to load doscall1.dll but there is none in sight.

Check the installation package whether it contains doscall1.dll . If it does then check your user.ini (start from CD, maintenance console) and check whether the SYS_DLLS entry contains doscall1.dll . It should not be there, remove the entry if it is there.

Pete

Quote from: Radek on 2008.05.15, 16:45:43
DOSCALL1 is not a DLL, it's a part of the operating system. This "DLL" is responsible for most of CP calls. Guessing possible causes:
- corrupted system kernel, not very probable.
- the IFS uses it's own doscall1.dll, for example, for hooking CP calls. The IFS marked its DLL a system dll but the uninstaller forgot to remove the entry from user.ini . When the system starts, is sees that it has to load doscall1.dll but there is none in sight.

Check the installation package whether it contains doscall1.dll . If it does then check your user.ini (start from CD, maintenance console) and check whether the SYS_DLLS entry contains doscall1.dll . It should not be there, remove the entry if it is there.

Hi Radek

I am having problems with the first line of your post because:-

[H:\OS2\DLL]dir doscall1.dll

The volume label in drive H is eCS1.2R.
The Volume Serial Number is 7353:D5BF.
Directory of H:\OS2\DLL

2-08-05  3:47p       144,631    208 a---  DOSCALL1.DLL
        1 file(s)     144,631 bytes used
                    1,093,394 K bytes free

[H:\OS2\DLL]

There are at least 2 different doscall1.dll files currently available: 1 for SMP and 1 for non-SMP. The above is the SMP version. Maybe the wrong 1 is in \os2\dll on Carlo_Warp's system...

Yes, it is a necessary part of the operating system which expects to find it in [BootDrive]:\os2\dll

I'm not sure but suspect it is possible to have it in another location on the LibPath but would not be surprised to find something, or lots of things, not working as some of the OS/2 code is definitely hardcoded to look in certain locations.

Further: The fat32 package does *Not* contain a doscall1.dll

Regards

Pete

DavidG

Quote from: Carlo_Warp on 2008.05.15, 14:56:32
After having uninstalled the Fat 32.Ifs driver (I wanted to replace it with the last one), I rebooted the computer and I got this message: "The system cannot load the DLL Doscall1 that is needed to start the system.

One more question: is anybody coming to Duesseldorf for the Developers Workshop of this weekend?

Thanks in advance

When one uninstalls the FAT32 driver and reboots before installing the new driver, they have just created a problem for themselves.  The Warpin installation mentions this during install and how to avoid it.

The best thing now is to boot to the recovery menu on startup. At the white box in the upper left corner of the screen during bootup (right near the beginning), hit the Alt plus F1 keys. This will take you to the recovery menu. Then select boot to a command line. Once it has booted to the command line, type in

tedit.exe <your drive letter>:\config.sys.

Then hit the "escape" key. This allows you to edit the config.sys. Use your arrow keys to scroll down to the LIBPATH line. Be sure to hit the "Insert" key before typing anything in.

Add the

<your drivelettler>:\os2\dll;

to the libpath statement.

Hit the F2 key to save and the F3 key to exit.

At the command line, hit the Cntrl Alt Del keys to reboot.  You should now be able to boot to the WPS and install the driver.

David

DavidG

Quote from: Carlo_Warp on 2008.05.15, 14:56:32

Thanks in advance

If using Warpin to install, it is always best just to install over the existing driver.  IF you do want to remove the driver first before installing, do the following.

Uninstall the driver (DO NOT RESTART YOUR COMPUTER)
Install the new driver.

David

Carlo_Warp

I checked the file and it is in the proper location.
I did a chkdsk from the maintenance console of eCS 2.0 RC4 and apparently it solved the porblems. During the boot I got the same error message. When I did shutdown, it didn't crash (I hope so). What I can do now is upgrading to RC 4, which I got today, due the renewing of the software subscription.

Quote from: Pete on 2008.05.15, 16:22:21
Hi Carlo_Warp

Why uninstall whichever version of the fat32 driver? - just overwrite with files from the package you want to use.

Check config.sys has a LibPath entry for [YourBootDriveLetter]:\os2\dll

Check the file exists in the above location.

Is it possible that the system crashed before Shutdown/Reboot? - If "Yes" you need to chkdsk the drive; Yes, that can cause file read problems as above. Boot from the RC1 CD and use the Management Console to run chkdsk against the drive.

I would love to come to Duesseldorf for the Developers Workshop but lack of finances prevent my attendance... have a good time  :-)

Pete