• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SWT port image

Started by lpino, 2008.05.29, 00:48:40

Previous topic - Next topic

lpino

I have created an image of a working OS/2 with all the development environment of the SWT port, using VirtualPC. There were so many problems for people to recreate the necessary env. and I really need some help to put this port to work.

Anyone interested?.. I could supply all the additional information needed to bring people up to speed.

I finished all the simple controls, and I did some work on the Eclipse launcher (I can see the splash window.. so far), but I really need help to implement other controls like Tree, Table and Sash.

At this point you can create simple applications using SWT, but some controls lack advance features, like icons on menu items and lists.

The progress of the port can be found at: http://svn.netlabs.org/swt/timeline

Thanks

Leonardo Pino

DavidG

Quote from: lpino on 2008.05.29, 00:48:40

At this point you can create simple applications using SWT, but some controls lack advance features, like icons on menu items and lists.

The progress of the port can be found at: http://svn.netlabs.org/swt/timeline

Thanks

Leonardo Pino

Leonardo

I may be able to help with the icons.  Is it icons or bmps you are going to need?  What will be the name of the control buttons that need icons?  If it is icons, what size(s)?

David

saborion2

Re:

I have created an image of a working OS/2 with all the development environment of the SWT port, using VirtualPC......

What differences would would it have made if this was a "native" port of SWT to the OS/2 Operating System; and, is a "native" port of SWT to the OS/2 Operating System quite possible to enable one to run applications such as Lotus Notes, Lotus Symphony et cetera, et cetera?

Thanks.

SAB

Saijin_Naib

This is a native port. If you took the time to read, he is talking about distributing his VERY hard to put together SWT build environment so that there can be a working, native, SWT runtime in OS/2. He needs assistance in getting some classes working, and the easiest way to get assistance is to share his build environment in such a way that anyone can work on it from any computer, hence, the VirtualMachine image.

lpino

Well, this is a native port of SWT and as today "functional", in tthe sense that you can create SWT applications with it. In fact all the testcases are SWT applications, although very simple ones.

The goal is to complete the port at the level that is today. In my opinion, this is a very short and easy task (as long as you are a PM developer).

The hard part would be to bring the level of SWT up to at leats version 3.0 (the port is of version 2.01), not because it would be hard, but because it is a lot of code lines to write.

I'm not a PM programmer, and this port is the first time I have done work. I program in Java as a day to day job, but my C is rusty, my motivation to learn precompiler stuff is ZERO and my experience with JNI is this project. Still, I have done a lot of work and I don't want it to go down in history as an abandoned piece of software, so I keep working on it (as time permits). I know that if I knew more PM and I had more experience it wouldn't be hard to advance MUCH faster and I also know that there are people in our community that have those skills.

The idea of this image is to bring the port to anyone that wants to take a shot at it.

ydario

Hi,

if you are interested, I have a SWT 3.3 implementation for OS2. It has been done using Odin SDK, and it works for basic apps.
It took less than 2 days to compile win32 source code under os2 using gcc 3.3.5

Yuri

saborion2

Re:

Well, this is a native port of SWT and as today "functional", in the sense that you can create SWT applications with it. In fact all the test cases are SWT applications, although very simple ones.

The goal is to complete the port at the level that is today. In my opinion, this is a very short and easy task (as long as you are a PM developer).

The hard part would be to bring the level of SWT up to at least version 3.0 (the port is of version 2.01), not because it would be hard, but because it is a lot of code lines to write.

The assumption is that this port of SWT to the OS/2-eCS Operating Systems then satisfy this limitation previously appearing in the Bounty System; re:

SWTSwing ($175)

Task: SWTSwing

Description: With this library it would be possible to get Java applications that use SWT (GUI framework) working on eCS and OS/2. Currently we don't have a native SWT implementation (but end of last year there was some small progress on it) and SWTSwing is using Java Swing as GUI framework that ships with every
Java Runtime Environment (JRE).

Currently SWTSwing only supports Java 1.5 and 1.6. As we only have Java 1.4.1 from GoldenCode and Java 1.4.2 from Innotek on the eCS and OS/2 platform it needs some work.
If SWTSwing can be made compatible with Java 1.4 -- and currently it looks that way -- we could use it.

Most applications that still use Java 1.4 and also use SWT as their GUI component would most likely work with SWTSwing "out of the box". Basically it would be changing the startup script to use the SWTSwing.jar file instead of the original SWT libs. Sometimes you need to removed the SWT libs from the original application jar and add the SWTSwing.jar! This is doable as a JAR file is nothing but a normal ZIP archive (with a different extension).

Other applications that already moved to Java 1.5 or Java 1.6 need some extra work to be compatible with Java 1.4! Some things can be made compatible using the Retroweaver tool you can find at sourceforge. The things that can't be made compatible that way need manual intervention.

SWTSwing is currently the only way to go and could even help the native SWT development....

http://www.os2world.com/content/view/14799/71/

Further, the question is: Are we on the "same page" (are we understanding the same things) in comparison with the earlier efforts of the porting of "SWTSwing" to OS/2 by "Juergen Ulbts".

Best regards.

SAB.

El Vato

Quote from: lpino on 2008.05.29, 16:27:02
Well, this is a native port of SWT and as today "functional", in tthe sense that you can create SWT applications with it. In fact all the testcases are SWT applications, although very simple ones.
[...]
The idea of this image is to bring the port to anyone that wants to take a shot at it.

Que tal, Leonardo!

Assuming that there is no Odin code in your efforts, I would be interested in your work and ...sigh, although I am involved in too many things at the moment, I might even attempt to provide some feedback and possibly aggregate some on top of your efforts.

I, too, feel that --if your work is not Odin based-- OS/2 native code efforts should not to be wasted.  Please leave me a PM indicating what should I do to (hopefully) play with your work.

Best regards.

lpino

Quote from: ydario on 2008.05.29, 17:30:42
Hi,

if you are interested, I have a SWT 3.3 implementation for OS2. It has been done using Odin SDK, and it works for basic apps.
It took less than 2 days to compile win32 source code under os2 using gcc 3.3.5

Yuri

Great to hear those news, but Im not a fan of ODIN ports. The more native the better. What JVM do you use for that port?, can you start Eclipse 3.x?

Thanks

lpino

Quote from: El Vato on 2008.05.29, 18:09:13
[...]

Que tal, Leonardo!

Assuming that there is no Odin code in your efforts, I would be interested in your work and ...sigh, although I am involved in too many things at the moment, I might even attempt to provide some feedback and possibly aggregate some on top of your efforts.

I, too, feel that --if your work is not Odin based-- OS/2 native code efforts should not to be wasted.  Please leave me a PM indicating what should I do to (hopefully) play with your work.

Best regards.

I was waiting for at least one person to show interest. Now I need a way to upload a large file so anyone can download it.

The fun part of this port is that is really fast (except on font handling), and you can do some interesting things with it, I believe is well architected and fun to play with. The biggest problem were the tools used. Java 1.3.1 + ant 1.5.4 + patch + VAC++ 4.0 + fixpack1 + Netbeans 5.0 as a IDE, althouh you can use any other way to edit the code.

Any ideas on how to upload 1.8Gb?

;)

Leonardo Pino

Saijin_Naib

Yeesh! Have you tried to 7zip that Drive image to make it smaller?

El Vato

Quote from: lpino on 2008.05.30, 02:04:02
Quote from: El Vato on 2008.05.29, 18:09:13
[...]

Que tal, Leonardo!

[...]

Best regards.

[...]
Java 1.3.1 + ant 1.5.4 + patch + VAC++ 4.0 + fixpack1 + Netbeans 5.0 as a IDE, althouh you can use any other way to edit the code.

;)

Leonardo Pino

The hosting of the image would come secondary, the issue(s) that I perceive for the potential image hosting provider is the proprietary nature of the software bundled in the image.  Will the OS/2 image + VAC expose the hosting provider to potential legal action?  That is the question that nags me for a public access to the resource.

Hence the main reason that I insist on an open source OS/2 effort --I have created several VPC images of OS/2 versions from 2.11 to WSEB that I would love to disseminate freely and thus seed enthusiasm for the OS.

...in retrospect, I think that there are still many old school proprietary hard-coded mindset individuals in the OS/2 user base that run counter to the free and open flow of (OS/2 source) ideas; and hence they seem to be even glad that the previous petition to Big Blue was met with indifference.

[Afterthought]
If the OS/2 user base --and those organizations that support it present and past-- have the properties of an organic entity that strives to evolve, then, I can only see a brighter future for OS/2 when those old school parties simply are weaned from the OS/2 organism --effectively releasing the latter's dynamic inherent desire for (digital) individual life of its own...(hint ???)

Hasta luego...

Blonde Guy

Quote from: lpino on 2008.05.30, 02:04:02

Leonardo Pino

Can you offer it on DVD, and put up a PayPal button? If I wanted to try it (not enough time right now), I would pay a few dollars for burning and postage.

Neil
Expert Consulting for OS/2 and eComStation

saborion2

Hey El Vato;

Re:

The hosting of the image would come secondary, the issue(s) that I perceive for the potential image hosting provider is the proprietary nature of the software bundled in the image.  Will the OS/2 image + VAC expose the hosting provider to potential legal action?  That is the question that nags me for a public access to the resource.

Hence the main reason that I insist on an open source OS/2 effort --I have created several VPC images of OS/2 versions from 2.11 to WSEB that I would love to disseminate freely and thus seed enthusiasm for the OS.

...in retrospect, I think that there are still many old school proprietary hard-coded mindset individuals in the OS/2 user base that run counter to the free and open flow of (OS/2 source) ideas; and hence they seem to be even glad that the previous petition to Big Blue was met with indifference.

[Afterthought]
If the OS/2 user base --and those organizations that support it present and past-- have the properties of an organic entity that strives to evolve, then, I can only see a brighter future for OS/2 when those old school parties simply are weaned from the OS/2 organism --effectively releasing the latter's dynamic inherent desire for (digital) individual life of its own...(hint  ???)

What is the time line for the "weaning" of "those old school parties" from "the OS/2 organism"? I am not so sure about you... but, I personally wish that the "dynamic inherent desire for (digital) individual life of its own" for the "OS/2 organism" about which you speak about existed twenty or more years ago; and, this much I am personally prepared to have my company (as an IBM Business Partner and OS/2 VAR) participate in evolution of the "OS/2 Organism.

1. Dedicate the following web sites presently under development to be that 
       "potential image hosting provider".

http://www.orionresourcesintl.com

http://www.orionenterprises.com

2. Work in close collaboration with individuals (or companies) like yourself for
       dissemination of "VPC images of OS/2 versions from (Ver. 4.0, Ver. 4.5..) to
       WSEB".

Here is the rationale: These applications development were being awaited by our company in order to facilitate our proposed solutions offerings Lotus Notes Ver. 8.0, Lotus SameTime 8.0, Lotus Symphony.... which require SWT to run on OS/2.

How about letting us have your proposals for Consultancy/Collaborative Activities!

Game over.  ;D ;) ;D

Thanks in advance.  ;)

Kindest regards.

SAB.

ydario

Hi Leonardo,

Quote from: lpino on 2008.05.29, 23:04:32
Great to hear those news, but Im not a fan of ODIN ports. The more native the better. What JVM do you use for that port?, can you start Eclipse 3.x?

It cannot start programs like eclipse or azureus, but consider it took a couple of days to compile sources and create a native os2 dll. Jvm 1.5 or 1.4, it doesn't matter.

I understand Odin is not the preferred way, but it allows a really short development time. You can get sooner at latest level, and then you can inject support for native widgets in a second time.

Since only a few developers are active on OS/2, projects with less resource requirements are more interesting, and they are easier to put to GA level.

Yuri