• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

SWT port image

Started by lpino, 2008.05.29, 00:48:40

Previous topic - Next topic

alex

Hello Leonardo,

I'm in the CET time zone and tried this morning at 6:00 am (must be 23:00 EST) but could not find your file.
Did you shutdown your computer our am I facing another problem ?

Thanks,
Alex

lpino

Quote from: alex on 2008.06.03, 12:36:52
Hello Leonardo,

I'm in the CET time zone and tried this morning at 6:00 am (must be 23:00 EST) but could not find your file.
Did you shutdown your computer our am I facing another problem ?

Thanks,
Alex

My time zone is GMT -04:00 and I have my computer on from 8 PM until 11 PM.

Leonardo Pino

lwriemen

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.06.03, 04:46:28
This is exactly the kinds of scenarios that I believe the US "SOX" (The Sarbanes-Oxley Act):
must have sought to address.
Actually, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act is concerned with financials, so if the porting of SWT was a business contract, being worked in the USA, then it would apply.

saborion2

Quote from: lwriemen on 2008.06.07, 03:02:03
Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.06.03, 04:46:28
This is exactly the kinds of scenarios that I believe the US "SOX" (The Sarbanes-Oxley Act):
must have sought to address.
Actually, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act is concerned with financials, so if the porting of SWT was a business contract, being worked in the USA, then it would apply.

Surely, "the Sarbanes-Oxley Act is concerned with financials; and, who ever said that the "financials" are not related to the economics and the technical aspects of a business operation? (consider the case of a major natural disaster, disrupting plant operations/production of a very large computer chip manufacturing plant in... let us say a country like Taiwan; then, what happens to computer companies that depend on those products for their livelihoods?

This is what was said by good colleague Leonardo:

The road map ahead is uncertain. It depends on my time and other people joining the effort. Today "most" of the controls and dialogs are implemented.
We should first finish the remaining controls and complete the ones we already have. Then we should try to start Eclipse 2.01 using the port.

After that we have many choices:

- Change tools and then go for updated versions of SWT
- Go for the updated versions of SWT and move to newer, "better" tools as we go along
- Go for version 2.1 on the old tools and to version 3.x on newer tools

So you see, there are lots of things to do, just not enough hands

Not exactly the kind of details/information that one can take to a "bank". What do you say.  ;)

Regards.

SAB

saborion2

Re: "Never Saying Never"!!!

The road map ahead is uncertain. It depends on my time and other people joining the effort. Today "most" of the controls and dialogs are implemented.
We should first finish the remaining controls and complete the ones we already have. Then we should try to start Eclipse 2.01 using the port.

After that we have many choices:

- Change tools and then go for updated versions of SWT
- Go for the updated versions of SWT and move to newer, "better" tools as we go along
- Go for version 2.1 on the old tools and to version 3.x on newer tools

So you see, there are lots of things to do, just not enough hands

Also, Re:

Small and medium enterprises to get help with agri project proposals

http://www.stabroeknews.com/?p=14471

Yep, The Harvest Can Soon Be Plentiful But The "Hands" Are Few!!! What ever happened to the program called - Train The Trainers that can produce more "hands" that are needed with the development and subsequent upgrades of SWT for OS/2 given that resources for this can very well be provided by interested parties?

Best regards.

SAB

lwriemen

Quote from: saborion2 on 2008.06.07, 05:58:08
Surely, "the Sarbanes-Oxley Act is concerned with financials; and, who ever said that the "financials" are not related to the economics and the technical aspects of a business operation? (consider the case of a major natural disaster, disrupting plant operations/production of a very large computer chip manufacturing plant in... let us say a country like Taiwan; then, what happens to computer companies that depend on those products for their livelihoods?

I guess I'm missing where Leonardo's efforts on porting SWT to OS/2 became a business operation. To put Sarbox in a better perspective, it is concerning accounting fraud. I missed the part where this applies. (I also fail to see where accounting fraud is equivalent to financial misfortune due to a natural disaster.)

As far as raising venture capital or making a business case for porting SWT to OS/2, it could just be that Leonardo or others don't have the time or interest in doing the work involved in such an operation, or they don't believe a business case exists. Maybe someone else needs to do that work and then look to hire some OS/2 developers.

saborion2

Re:

I guess I'm missing where Leonardo's efforts on porting SWT to OS/2 became a business operation. To put Sarbox in a better perspective, it is concerning accounting fraud. I missed the part where this applies. (I also fail to see where accounting fraud is equivalent to financial misfortune due to a natural disaster.)

As far as raising venture capital or making a business case for porting SWT to OS/2, it could just be that Leonardo or others don't have the time or interest in doing the work involved in such an operation, or they don't believe a business case exists. Maybe someone else needs to do that work and then look to hire some OS/2 developers.

I take it that you have not taken a look at the "Bounty System" currently in place on this web site; and, which is being administered by members of the OS/2 World Foundation. The last time this discussion came up (to the best of my knowledge) was for OS/2 developers to indicate what will be adequate "sums" to entice them in taking up an associated "bid".

Personally, I think that the "ball" is in the OS/2 Developer's court with regards to these and other issues related to the porting of applications to OS/2 and thus the emergence of business scenarios like these as follows!

Small and medium enterprises to get help with agri project proposals

Consider the value propositions in getting the appropriate "business analysis tools" based on "Eclipse" and running on "OS/2" in the hands of millions and millions of small and medium enterprises around the world.

Regards.

SAB

Saijin_Naib

Millions of small enterprises world-wide use OS/2? Really? Substantiate, please.

saborion2

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.06.10, 21:46:03
Millions of small enterprises world-wide use OS/2? Really? Substantiate, please.

Please read what was said again!!!

Consider the value propositions in getting the appropriate "business analysis tools" based on "Eclipse" and running on "OS/2" in the hands of millions and millions of small and medium enterprises around the world.

I really meant to say that that this is the "potential"; and, in any case what does it really matter... Here is what a financial institution official had to say from the below referenced link:

"We believe that there is a lot of entrepreneurship in Guyana but not a lot of them have approached us for financing and for those who approach their business plan [lacks details]," he said.

He said that the client base is not as high as he would like it to be, but on an annual basis he would be happy to have 10 to 15 clients. He said that based on projections, "we are below that and we want to accelerate the pace."

Now, multiply "10 to 15 clients" by 34 countries and you get 340 to 510 clients and so on; and, so on.

You get the picture!  ;)

BTW, I can quote some IBMers as making remarks only yesterday at a financial seminar here in New York City that there is a general feeling that OS/2 is on its way back and that banks in France as well as in other countries in Europe still use OS/2 and no considerations are being given to move to another platform.  ;)

All FYI.

Regards.

SAB

Michel

Is there anyone who was able to download the zipfile ?
I have tried several days between 8 and 11 PM EST but the file was never shared.

lpino

Mmmm... I wonder if this is the best way to share this. Any other ideas??, I'm open to suggestions of any kind. I believe uploading the file through the SVN would be out of the question, but it is an idea... any others?

Leonardo

Michel

You could try one of the free online storage services.

Regards,
Michel

saborion2

Quote from: lpino on 2008.06.17, 16:27:33
Mmmm... I wonder if this is the best way to share this. Any other ideas??, I'm open to suggestions of any kind. I believe uploading the file through the SVN would be out of the question, but it is an idea... any others?

Leonardo

Hi Leonardo,

I do not believe that the point mentioned was ever addressed:

Re:

I take it that you have not taken a look at the "Bounty System" currently in place on this web site; and, which is being administered by members of the OS/2 World Foundation. The last time this discussion came up (to the best of my knowledge) was for OS/2 developers to indicate what will be adequate "sums" to entice them in taking up an associated "bid".

My considered opinion is that with an application such as IBM's Lotus Symphony 1.0 now Generally Available (GA) and is based on the Open Document Format (ODF) Standards then attracting developers and testers to a project such as the Porting of SWT to the OS/2 Warp Operating System ought to be a none issue: re: the IBM's Servicing Offerings to businesses as an example. $$$  ;) ::) ;D

This is just my two cents.

Best regards,

SAB

lpino

Quote from: Michel on 2008.06.17, 17:07:33

Regards,
Michel

I uploaded an updated file through a online service called DIINO. One needs to download a client program from their website and then it needs to register.
After that you could access the file using my account name (lpino) and a password (123456). The file is 774Mb and it is called "swtos2.zip". Well, good luck and I hope someone download it.

Leonardo Pino

DavidG

Quote from: lpino on 2008.06.19, 15:57:55
Quote from: Michel on 2008.06.17, 17:07:33

Regards,
Michel

I uploaded an updated file through a online service called DIINO. One needs to download a client program from their website and then it needs to register.
After that you could access the file using my account name (lpino) and a password (123456). The file is 774Mb and it is called "swtos2.zip". Well, good luck and I hope someone download it.

Leonardo Pino

Why not upload to Netlabs Incoming.  Also, you need a naming format that lets people know they have the latest code.

Example:

Rename swtos2.zip to swtos2_20080619.zip

Unless Adrian is told what to do with it, it usually stays in the incoming directory.  When you are ready to have it deleted, just rename adding deleteme to the end.  Sooner or later, it will be deleted.  If not, you can always contact Arian and tell him to delete it.

David