• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

ATI or NVidia Graphics Cards and Future Support.

Started by John, 2008.05.29, 18:35:55

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Hi All,

I'm budgeting to get myself a 3D Accelerated Graphics Card and can't decide whether to go for an ATI 3870 based or NVidia 8800GT based card. Judging from reviews at Tomshardware.com I'd like to budget for the NVidia option due to better performance.

For future compatibility support with eCS, which would be the better option. When going through Scitech SNAP support reference there seems to be more support for ATI graphic cards.

Your input much appreciated,

Thanks,

John.

Saijin_Naib

Well John, like you I am much more inclined to go Nvidia due to their performance, especially with OpenGL. ATI typically posted better perf with DirectX/Direct3D accel, and if/when eCS ever gets graphical acceleration, it most certainly will be OpenGL or some other derivative, so I would lean to that. However, ATI seems to be more friendly with drivers (or so I hear), so ATI may  be better in that case :( I just bought an Nvidia 7600GT for gaming/light rendering in WindowsXP and just live with Panorama. I hope that eventually it will be supported in hardware, but I sincerely doubt it.

DavidG

Quote from: Saijin_Naib on 2008.05.29, 20:27:38
Well John, like you I am much more inclined to go Nvidia due to their performance, especially with OpenGL. ATI typically posted better perf with DirectX/Direct3D accel, and if/when eCS ever gets graphical acceleration, it most certainly will be OpenGL or some other derivative, so I would lean to that. However, ATI seems to be more friendly with drivers (or so I hear), so ATI may  be better in that case :( I just bought an Nvidia 7600GT for gaming/light rendering in WindowsXP and just live with Panorama. I hope that eventually it will be supported in hardware, but I sincerely doubt it.

NVidia is not developer friendly.  So more than likely, there will never be the drivers you want for it.  ATI doesn't appear to mind releasing the specs and necessary information for its drivers.  Since SNAP is now open source, it is more likely that drivers for ATI cards would be developed before any NVidia drivers.

David

John

Much thanks for your input,

The price difference between the 2 brand cards is not so much different (from our local suppliers) but I really would like to get the best performance when coming to playing 2 games I purchased in the beginning of January ie Quake 4 and FEAR. I've not had the chance to play them on my own machine yet with onboard graphics..

Will more than likely opt for the NVidia purely for my gaming investment. Will try and follow up with what's supported with the OpenSNAP project as I get closer to final purchase as funds allow, hopefully not too long.

Thanks again

Cheers,

John.

Saijin_Naib

If you ever want to play Quake4 or FEAR, let me know, I'm always down to game :D