• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2 Warp 4 Server

Started by usertale, 2008.05.30, 19:46:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Fahrvenugen

Quote from: ModZilla on 2008.08.22, 16:41:13
:-[ :-[embarrased to ask but SEEKING PERMISSION fr os2w member 'Fahrvenugen' to post his response on my web. That was quite a suscinct rundown you gave there and though somewhat confusing to me, its a nice reference...I think more people should see this as well as Rob's posts in this regard. Hey Rob, why wont your mom give back your M2? I have plenty of new unused chords, 'look likethe old telephone chord' should she ever need a new replacement. ;D

You can certainly re-post my response on your website.  The only thing I ask is that you also provide somewhere on your site a link pointing back to here at os2World.com

:)

ModZilla

Thank you! Fahrvenugen. Will do and alas, the link idea is great too as it may draw some attention to this forum and thereby they may see the Petition and sign it 8) 

A link here to soft sales: http://www.golsoftware.com/software/pc/vmware/vmware_gsx_server_3.2.html offers VMware workstation as a download cheap, I would not recommend this, who knows where they [the vendor] really get it from? China? could be, just check out the wording in teir FAQ and the price? Too good to be real... :'( ;D :D
anyone use VMware this way: D.L. HELL Viola! & Voink! err, getting back to basics the original question part one: simple ans Yes. getting to part two took some digging and ... there are plenty of "partial" hardware compatability lists out on the web, I could not [yet]find on OS/2 hardware compatability i.e., w/just which MOBOS, work with this version stated in that part of his query,  but I did state elsewhere that early P4 mobos w/o sata work fine as I run Os/2 v4 Server on an ASUS X-series MOBO and its fine [mini atx 468 pin ]
now off topic FYI in the process of trying to find a MOBO hitlist of OS/2 whatever here again is a link to Brad Templeton on Wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Templeton 
Tanks

MZ...

some old os2 links...http://www.os2bbs.com/download/Link1Day.html

VMware Workstation 6.5 Release Candidate 1 (RC1) is now available, as well, of interest is:
http://www.vmware.com/communities/content/beta/ws65/welcome.html?msgNum=00000lk0:0018f5_a000016tV&block=1&msgNature=all&msgStatus=all&count=1219757831&content=central&src=EM_08Q3_VMW_OTHER_WRKSTN65_RC1&ossrc=EM_08Q3_VMW_OTHER_WRKSTN65_RC1&elq=D17BD4199D2A4DBEB4F5D3D56C906063
now that is a URL! I hope it works for you
er:

:o
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

ModZilla

I am not sure that warp 3 client would be the basis for warp 4 server but in any event, though
trite I would amend to Fahrvenugen's OS/w evolution list by adding the extended version of OS/2 on 3.5 in disks/boxed set: Operating System 2 Extended  Ed. Ver 1.3, (C)1990 or? and other special memory versions of OS/2 that slipped out along the way.... :-*
someday os2 will be ruled by the young and famous-at least in the open-source world!

RobertM

Quote from: ModZilla on 2008.08.30, 19:15:27
I am not sure that warp 3 client would be the basis for warp 4 server.

The Warp 3 Client is definitely the basis for the Warp Server 4.

If someone is referring to a Warp 4 Server, it is possible they are referring to Warp Server for eBusiness - or Warp Server 4... Warp Server for eBusiness would be v4.50/4.51/4.52 and based off an updated Warp 4 (Aurora - while Warp 4 itself was Merlin release).

Rob

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|

ModZilla

well usertale, I hope you did not get swamped by the many different posts here between posts as I did,
when I installed warp 4 on a P4 machine the splash down graphic said Version 3 still, but the product was vastly different. I am still needing to get past the gigabyte problem. A 140lb Netfinity is the ans. but not to your question. Cheers and good luck with OS/2.

Fahrvenugen

Modzilla, I guess I'm a little confused now...

If you're talking about the OS/2 Warp 4 (client version) then it will definitely appear to be a little different from OS/2 Warp 3.

If you're talking about OS/2 Warp Server 4 then it will appear very similar to OS/2 Warp 3 (client version).  The OS/2 Warp Server 4 product is in fact OS/2 Warp 3 (Client) with the IBM Lan Server product integrated into the install.

If you are talking about OS/2 Warp Server for eBusiness then this will look like the OS/2 Warp 4 (client) with the IBM Lan Server product and IBM Websphere for OS/2 integrated into the install.

The only other option would be if you have a copy of Warp that someone has hacked together (or maybe a beta?  I can't recall what the first Merlin betas looked like, but I do seem to recall the initial Merlin betas still had a lot of Warp 3 stuff in them) with different features and DLL's from different versions of OS/2 (for example, there was the file kicking around along with instructions on how to get Warp 3 look like the Warp 4 GUI, it was - and may still be - available on Hobbes).  But this would not be an "official" GA release of either Warp 3 or 4.

obiwan

Quote from: Fahrvenugen on 2008.07.13, 18:06:56
Personally I prefer the Warp 3 / Warp Server 4 code base over the Warp 4 (client) / Warp Server for eBusiness code base.  For many reasons I find that the older version preferable to the "newer" version, especially in server applications.  The main benefit of the newer version (for the situations that I have put OS/2 into a server type role) is the larger hard disk partitions that become possible with LVM and JFS.  Even with this, I still have machines that I have left running on the older Warp 3 code base.

This comment has influenced me to consider Warp 4 Server for a server I need to set up. Assuming the hardware is compatible, is this a decent choice? Have you, or anyone else running such a server, encountered problems with services ported using libc, like those built by Paul Smedley?

Fahrvenugen

There are a few things that I have found don't really work properly under the older Warp 3 code base, but most stuff works.  The stuff that I have found that does not work includes:

-Odin stuff (and anything built under Odin).  This includes the Innotek runtime, the Innotek port of Adobe Acrobat Reader 5, Innotek Font Engine, the Innotek port of Java, the older 1.1.5 Openoffice, the "unofficial" Flash 7a.  There are some hacks out there that some users have claimed will get this stuff to work, however I've never been able to get any of it to work properly. 

Personally the only one that I really care about on this list is Java.  On the other hand the older IBM 1.1.8 works fine, I've also heard that the IBM Java 1.3.1 works  (but I've never tried this).  And I think the Goldencode port will work (since it isn't Odin based), but again, I havn't tried the Goldencode port on a Warp 3 box.

As for the font engine, I find that if I really need the Truetype fonts on Warp 3 I'll just install the older Freetype/2 DLL rather then the Innotek Font Engine.  True, the Freetype DLL doesn't display quite as nicely as IFE, but it works.

Otherwise most of the stuff I've tried seems to work pretty well.  I know the EMX libraries definitely work.  Provided you install the needed libc stuff the Firefox 2.x builds works (unless you try and install either the Innotek java or Flash 7a plugin) - I havn't tried Firefox 3.x on a Warp 3 box, but I may within the next few days.  Paul Smedley's ports of stuff that I've tried (Apache, MySQL, PHP, Imagemagick) all work under Warp 3.

Things I have *not* tried: the latest MySQL 5.1 (although the 5.0 builds work, so  I can't see the 5.1 not working), Virtualbox, and I have *not* tried Samba on a Warp 3 box.

Getting it to work, Fixpaks, Fixpaks, Fixpaks

To get this stuff to work under Warp 3, you'll need the latest OS fixpak, you'll need a fixpak for TCP/IP, and you'll also need to install the full 32 bit version of MPTS.  If you do all this and then install all the EMX and Libc stuff you'll find that most things work.  If you try and just use the base (1994) release of Warp 3 you'll run into problems and lots of stuff that won't run.

For warp 3 client, the last fixpak released by IBM is FP40.  For Warp Server 4, it is FP43.  You can grab them:

For the "disk image" version of FP40:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/english-us/xr_w040

The "RSU" (ZIP) version of FP40:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_w040

The "Disk Image" version of FP43:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/fixes/v3.0warp/english-us/xr_w043

The "RSU" (ZIP) version of FP43:
ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/os2/rsu/xr_w043

You'll also need to update the TCP/IP stuff with un00959 (if you have Warp Connect) or UN_0980 (if you have Warp Server 4).  You can grab it at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/tcpip/fixes/v3.1os2/un00959/english-us

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/tcpip/fixes/v3.1os2andv4.0os2/universal/un_0980

And install the newer 32 bit MPTS stack over top of the old 16 bit MPTS version that Warp 3 installs (assuming you have either Warp Connect or Warp Server 4.  If you have the older Warp 3 client that only came with the IBM Internet Access Kit that came in the BonusPack, then don't bother installing the Access Kit, just install the 32 bit MPTS).  The install disk images can be found at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08610_conv

Once you run the install, you'll also need to install the MPTS WR08621 fixpak from:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/mpts/fixes/english-us/wr08621

And finally grab the newstack.zip file off Hobbes and do a final update to your stack using the files in that ZIP:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/h-search.php?key=newstack.zip&pushbutton=Search

If you do have the full Warp Server 4 version and you're using the LAN Server stuff, there are some fixpaks for that at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/lan/fixes/lsv5.0/english-us/ip08267/

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/lan/fixes/lsv5.0_uni-smp/english-us/ip08532/

If you're using the Warp 3 Connect client and IBM Peer, there is an update to Peer at:

ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com/ps/products/lan/fixes/ibm.peer/english-us/ip08196

I can't recall what other fixpaks are out there...  but that covers most of them.

Other tips: Once you get FP40 (or higher) installed then SNAP will work.  If you've got a video card that is supported by SNAP, this is probably the best option for video.

Another point:  I have no clue if network drivers based on Genmac will work.  I've never tried them on  a Warp 3 box. 

My own thoughts:  If you have an old copy of Warp 3 (or Warp Server 4) sitting on a shelf collecting dust, go ahead and give it a try.  The only thing it'll really cost you is time if it doesn't.  But if you're looking to spend money on it, you're probably better off to go with either WsEB or eCS.    While I still like the Warp 3 installs that I have running, I also admit that it can be a challenge to get working the way you want it to work.

El Vato

Quote from: Fahrvenugen on 2008.09.06, 05:36:42
[...] And I think the Goldencode port will work (since it isn't Odin based), but again, I havn't tried the Goldencode port on a Warp 3 box.
[...]

Fahrvenugen,

GCD did not work in Warp 3 the last time I tried --none of the versions.  As a matter of fact, I believe GCD is for Warp 4 and above.

Fahrvenugen

El Vato,

Thanks for the information.  As I mentioned, I've never tried GCD on a Warp 3 box.

One other thing that I forgot to mention... due to the way the Warp 3 kernel handles memory, on some machines it is difficult to get it to recognize a Gig or more memory even when you've used the patchldr utility from Hobbes...  So, if you're trying to get Warp 3 up and running on such a machine, there could be a situation where it becomes necessary to remove memory to bring it lower then 1 GB... 

Fahrvenugen

Hi,

A bit of an update...

I had some spare time and decided to try a few things with Warp 3  / Warp Server 4  on both my current install and a fresh install, both with the 32 bit TCP/IP stack and the Newstack fix.

My current install is running Fixpak 40.  My "Fresh install" (I literally formatted a hard disk and did a fresh install) I tested with both FP40 and FP43.  Here's what I found:

Fixpak 40 machine, SNAP video:
-Paul Smedley's ports of Apache, PHP, and MySQL 5.x all run fine on FP40 (I already knew this)
-Firefox 2.0.0.x runs fine on FP40
-Firefox 3.0 and 3.1 would not run at all on FP40, they just hung the machine when I tried to start them (although  a KILL would kill the EXE)
-The latest port of Samba seemed to have difficulties on FP40

On the "fresh install" of Warp 3 after FP43 was installed, SNAP for video:

-Samba seems to work properly now, although Warpin gave an error during the install by selecting the option to Continue things seem to work after that.
-Firefox 2.0.0.x still works fine
-Firefox 3.0.x and 3.1.x now will display a "window border", but you can't see the actual contents of the window - it just provides a "snapshot" of whatever is on the desktop behind it.  But on the other hand, it does not just hang.
-All of Paul's other ports that I've tried (Apache, PHP. MySQL) all still work.

I'm sure there are other things that may work / not work... I havn't done much playing round due to limited time.

obiwan

Thanks for all the great info, Fahrvenugen.

The big pitfall for me, and why I've never actually finished installing Warp Server 4, is figuring out all the fixpaks and updates, so having a rundown like you posted is a big help. The fact that you now installed it yourself so quickly shows me it can be done. I also appreciate your tests and shared results. I can feel pretty confident now that the stuff I need has a good chance of being ok.

This is purely to be a server, so I don't need any browsers or Odin stuff, or even graphics beyond VGA. I had to think about whether I care about Java, but for the purposes of this server I don't.

So I'll go ahead and give it a try.

Fahrvenugen

No problem Obiwan,

Another bit of information on the "installing on a machine with 1 GB or more memory can be problematic" issue...

With the hard disk that I formatted and did a fresh install, when I tried it on a Pentium 4 (which has 1 GB), it crashed with a c0000005 doscall1.dll error when trying to boot.  Nothing I did could get past this when 1 GB  was installed (tried patching the loader, even tried pulling the doscall1.dll from Warp 4...  I did get it past that crash using the loader, kernel, and doscall1.dll from Warp 4, but then when the WPS came up it crashed, I don't really recommend mixing and matching the kernel from Warp 4 with Warp 3 anyways, for obvious reasons... this was more of a "let's see what happens" kind of thing that I decided to try...  the fun you can have when you know the hard drive is going to be formatted again anyways...). 

The solution to get it to boot was to remove memory.  Once I got it to less then 1 GB it booted fine on the P4 (I tried it at 512 MB and 768 MB - these are the 2 memory configurations I could create from the memory I have on hand).

On the other hand, I took the same hard disk and put it in a Pentium 3 with 1 GB and it booted fine. 

It appears it may be an issue with P4 and 1 GB more memory (in fact, I found that it appears that early versions of Warp 4 had this same issue, IBM released the file P4Fix.zip as a fix which eventually ended up added to W4 fixpaks) but I can't find any Warp 3 fixes for this issue.

I don't know if this is also an issue with AMD processors or not...

Fahrvenugen

Hi again,

I just decided to boot that hard disk up in the P4 machine again... seems that even with 768 MB Warp is only recognizing 512 MB...  I think this may be a limitation of the Warp 3 kernel... I'll do some more testing and report back.

Just tried it on the P3 machine, seems that is only recognizing 512 MB too...

Guess I had never noticed this before as all the Warp 3 / Warp Server 4 boxes I'm running are all 512 MB or less...

RobertM

Quote from: Fahrvenugen on 2008.09.07, 20:20:10
Hi again,

I just decided to boot that hard disk up in the P4 machine again... seems that even with 768 MB Warp is only recognizing 512 MB...  I think this may be a limitation of the Warp 3 kernel... I'll do some more testing and report back.

Just tried it on the P3 machine, seems that is only recognizing 512 MB too...

Guess I had never noticed this before as all the Warp 3 / Warp Server 4 boxes I'm running are all 512 MB or less...

Hi Fahrvenugen,

It may be a limitation of what Warp Server 4 supports on the particular chipset. I've had machines set up with 768MB, 1GB and 2GB running WS4. I'd try:

- Ensuring the BIOS is not set to "OS/2" in the memory access section
- If the BIOS is already not set to "OS/2" and has multiple selections, try another one that is not "OS/2"
- Apply the latest WS4 Fixpacks and kernels and seeing where that puts you.

If that still does not allow access to greater than 512MB, then it is possible that the chipset simply is not fully supported with WS4. The only chipsets I have done this on are all Intel based, and all using PII and PIII Xeon CPUs (200MHz to 600MHz range)... so I have no idea which other ones it is supported on, nor which kernels and fixpacks add full support for which chipsets.

Robert

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|