• Welcome to OS2World OLD-STATIC-BACKUP Forum.

News:

This is an old OS2World backup forum for reference only. IT IS READ ONLY!!!

If you need help with OS/2 - eComStation visit http://www.os2world.com/forum

Main Menu

OS/2 Warp 4 Server

Started by usertale, 2008.05.30, 19:46:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Fahrvenugen

Hmm, interesting...

The P3 and P4 machine that I tested on are both Intel chipsets, normally I've left them on the Non-os/2 setting in the BIOS.  As for kernels, I was at the kernel that shipped with Fixpak 43 for WS4 (I had done a full FP43 on it). 

It may very well depend on the machine.  I know that Warp 4 / eCS have no difficulty recognizing all the memory on either system (running the 14.103a or 14.104a kernel)... 

Overall it isn't a big deal for me... the *production* machines that I have running the Warp 3 base are all 512 MB, I mainly had put the install on this particular hard disk just as a test!

oli

Quote from: Fahrvenugen on 2008.07.12, 07:24:45
Usertale,

Warp Server 4 is based on the Warp 3 code base.  It should be possible to get it to run on the P4 machine, however the Athlon 64 may not run it.  I don't think the Warp 3 kernel was ever updated to allow it to run on the 64 bit processors as the Warp 4 kernel was updated.

Worked fine on a 3500 Athlon 64 a couple of years back, in fact for some reason better than some W4 versions, I just needed to update the install diskettes and then throw in Fixpack 4x and snap, Danis and etc optional, if fact it was more of a problem for me to justify having a otherwise powerful computer tied up with an OS with a very limited supply of software for .......

RobertM

Quote from: Fahrvenugen on 2008.09.12, 08:37:18
Hmm, interesting...

The P3 and P4 machine that I tested on are both Intel chipsets, normally I've left them on the Non-os/2 setting in the BIOS.  A

That is correct. If that setting exists in the BIOS, it (the OS/2 setting) should not be used for anything other than OS/2 1.X releases, and MAYBE v2.0 (been a while, I dont remember if it actually applies to 2.0 or not).

The "Non-OS/2" setting should be used for all "recent" (15 years old or newer) versions of OS/2 and eCS.

|
|
Kirk's 5 Year Mission Continues at:
Star Trek New Voyages
|
|